Autopilot use during approach

Old April 14th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Default Autopilot use during approach

Mxsmanic wrote:
Ray Andraka writes:

If your POH supplement for the autopilot has operating limitations, it
isn't legal to use contrary to those limitations.

This does not conflict with "in general," and "they aren't in the FARs.

91.9 is in the FARs.

"In general" doesn't mean "in the average case" or even "in most cases."
It means for all cases.

In addition to not knowing squat about the regulations, you don't know
English.
Old April 14th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

91.9 is in the FARs.

FAR 91.9 doesn't apply unless there is a limitation in the manual.

Old April 14th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
ArtP

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:13:58 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

FAR 91.9 doesn't apply unless there is a limitation in the manual.

I can't remember ever seeing a modern manual without a limitation of
some sort. Rather than the FAA having to write rules for everything
they don't want you to do they tell the manufacturer to put the
limitation in the manual if they want to be certified. Then the
lawyers put in their own to protect the manufacturer from uninformed
users. Usually one of the first limitations is a prohibition against
using the product until you have read the manual.
Old April 14th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

I have an STEC 30, which is electronically the same as the 50, I
think. I've found it to be extremely accurate, keeping the localizer
centered all the way down. You do have to intercept the localizer
within 10 degrees of the localizer heading before activating the
autopilot. I use it occasionally, on the theory of keeping all skills
current.

Old April 14th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

ArtP writes:

I can't remember ever seeing a modern manual without a limitation of
some sort.

Yes, but I don't know that limitations on autopilot use are universal.

Old April 14th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Paul,

I use it occasionally, on the theory of keeping all skills
current.

My theory is also to be able to use all the help I can get.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 14th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
ArtP

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:10:39 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

ArtP writes:

I can't remember ever seeing a modern manual without a limitation of
some sort.

Yes, but I don't know that limitations on autopilot use are universal.

Universal is not relevant. You read the manual for the autopilot you
are using. It will tell you what your limitations with that autopilot.
If you don't have the manual in the plane then plane is probably not
airworthy. You won't know that for sure unless you read the POM (Pilot
Operation Manual) which is required to be in the plane for it to be
airworthy.

Old April 14th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
ArtP writes:

I can't remember ever seeing a modern manual without a limitation of
some sort.

Yes, but I don't know that limitations on autopilot use are universal.

But you said that there were none and that was wrong.

However, as I stated before, autopilots are one of the aircraft
installations that gets a LOT of scrutiny from the FAA. For sure
any remotely modern autopilot has an entire BOOK that is a required
flight manual supplement (even to planes like mine that don't have
a flight manual) that is chock FULL of limitations and requirements
for use.

Again, you're making incorrect and dangerous wild-assed guesses
based on your playtime escapades.

I bet you base all your understanding on women from your experience
with the blowup doll in your bedroom.
Old April 14th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BillJ

Ron Gordon wrote:
I've moved up to a new plane that includes an S-Tec 50 autopilot. It has
several very capable modes ranging from Wings Leveler, Track a Heading bug,
Follow NAV input, Hold a set Altitude, and approach mode which tracks NAV
input more closely.

What do the regs say about the permissible use of an autopilot after the
enroute portion of a flight that is being conducted under instrument flight
rules? To what extent is it permissible to use the autopilot during an
approach? For example, after the controller says "radar vectors for..."
through DH?

Thanks!

Not only can you use it, the PTS says an applicant for IFR rating must
demonstrate one approach using autopilot, if equipped. Same with GPS, if
equipped.
Old April 14th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
LWG

Wow. I never would have guessed that. What is the rationale the
landing lights, current draw?

If your POH supplement for the autopilot has operating limitations, it
isn't legal to use contrary to those limitations. Mine doesn't allow use
of the autopilot with the landing lights on, for example.

Autopilot [email protected] Piloting 40 January 5th 06 09:12 PM
KAP 140 autopilot approach Yossarian Instrument Flight Rules 2 October 12th 05 03:10 PM
IMC without an autopilot Jon Kraus Instrument Flight Rules 101 April 18th 04 07:17 PM
Completing the Non-precision approach as a Visual Approach John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 45 November 20th 03 05:20 AM
Autopilot Hankal Owning 1 November 10th 03 02:21 AM