Tire talc...baby powder?

Old August 1st 03, 07:12 PM
No Spam

Default Tire talc...baby powder?

Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
can't use baby powder as tire talc?

TIA,

No Spam

Old August 1st 03, 08:26 PM
mikem

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam wrote:

Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
can't use baby powder as tire talc?

I've been using it for 20 years.

MikeM
Skylane '1mm
Pacer '00z

Old August 2nd 03, 02:51 AM
No Spam

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam wrote:

Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
can't use baby powder as tire talc?

What is tire talc?

You put it inside the tire before inserting the tube to act as a lubricant
so it doesn't bind or fold inside the tire while inflating.

No Spam

Old August 2nd 03, 04:16 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

ArtP wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam wrote:
Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
can't use baby powder as tire talc?

What is tire talc?

The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:38 AM
H. Adam Stevens

Are we changing tires or diapers here?
Or is this just kinky pilot stuff?
H.

Old August 2nd 03, 09:51 AM
markjen

The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.

You have to use the STC'd baby powder and add it to your MEL.

- Mark

Old August 5th 03, 04:54 AM
Tony Roberts

I've been using it for 20 years.

We know. But have you tried it on your tire & tube

--
Tony Roberts (tonyroberts@ remove shaw.ca)
PP-ASEL

Old August 5th 03, 11:51 PM
Dan Thomas

"markjen" wrote in message . net...
The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.

You have to use the STC'd baby powder and add it to your MEL.

- Mark

Baby powder is just talc with perfume. Now if they'd make an
unscented version for allergic babies?

Incidentally, baby powder up until around 1960 or so was made not
of talc, but of chrysolite asbestos, one of the worst forms of the
stuff. All the panic over a few bits of asbestos found floating in the
air in some old buildings is a bit overblown, considering that us
older guys inhaled vast quantities of it while in our cribs. Never
(cough, choke) hurt me...

Dan
Old August 7th 03, 12:35 AM
Tina Marie

In article , Russell Kent wrote:
Evidence for this statement? A quick web search turned up two published
studies that seem to be at odds with your statement:
http://www.ima-eu.org/en/abstractwong.pdf
http://www.ima-eu.org/en/abstractgertig.pdf

You may be right. The references I found are all pretty old - early
90's.

Here's one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

And this page has 3 more references to studies. I can't get the links to work, but there may be enough info to look them up in other places:
http://www.2womenshealth.co.uk/32-31.htm

Tina Marie
--
Life is like an analogy. http://www.tripacerdriver.com
Old August 7th 03, 01:21 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Tina Marie wrote:

Talc has recently been tied to overian cancer in women, ....

Ok, I admit that I haven't made a specialty of feminine hygiene products,
but what items which contain talc are women likely to insert into that
area?

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel