Concerning the Me-262 HG IV

Old January 3rd 04, 04:03 AM
robert arndt

Default Concerning the Me-262 HG IV

For those of you who have e-mailed me about the HG IV aircraft found
online as a model:

I'm sorry to say that I never heard of it. The Me-262 Heimatschutzer
IV yes, HG IV- no!
I've searched all the secret project stuff and paper projects but I
can't find anything. The model looks interesting but even under the
Schnelljager listing that configuration does not come up. The model
looks closest to the Me P.1106 design of Jan '45... but using the
Me-262 as the airframe.
Anyone else know anything about this supposed project? Real, recent
discovery, or modeler's fantasy?

The model in question:

http://www.geocities.com/uni1ua/bigph/hg4niwa.htm

Rob
Old January 3rd 04, 08:37 AM
Krztalizer

For those of you who have e-mailed me about the HG IV aircraft found
online as a model:

I'm sorry to say that I never heard of it. The Me-262 Heimatschutzer
IV yes, HG IV- no!

Ditto. 25+ years of poking through captured Me 262 documents and looking at
old blueprints and never saw anything that would match this weirdo.

On the model's homepage,

http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmod...262hg4/hg4.htm

... it shows this thing wearing AI antlers on the nose! Humorous if nothing
else.

Gordon
Old January 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
robert arndt

nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message ...

For those of you who have e-mailed me about the HG IV aircraft found
online as a model:

I'm sorry to say that I never heard of it. The Me-262 Heimatschutzer
IV yes, HG IV- no!

Ditto. 25+ years of poking through captured Me 262 documents and looking at
old blueprints and never saw anything that would match this weirdo.

On the model's homepage,

http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmod...262hg4/hg4.htm

.. it shows this thing wearing AI antlers on the nose! Humorous if nothing
else.

Gordon

What bothers me about the Unicraft site is that their models are all
accurate concerning German and Allied secret aircraft and pre-war
aircraft plus missiles. The German design projects are all accurate.
The only recent enigmas seem to be that HG IV aircraft and the claimed
V-4 missile.
The V-4 is indeed mentioned in captured Peenemunde documents but I
have never seen any designs for this too. It is known that a German
diplomat informed Sweden of the V-4 missile in 1945 as a threat if
Sweden decided to join the Allies in 1945 near the close of the war.
The Poles mention that launch ramps for the V-4 were constructed and
aimed at Sweden.
Strange how this company Unicraft has a model of it.

Rob
Old January 3rd 04, 07:59 PM
steve gallacci

robert arndt wrote:

[...]

I'd seen one drawing claiming to be the '262HG somewhere, but wonder if
the configuration might have been a test bed for the MeP.1106 little
fighter concepts with the cockpit in the fin. As for the "V-4", it looks
like a ramjet assisted Rheinbote, a not implausible configuration.
Old January 4th 04, 01:35 AM
Thomdenton

I found this on a ME-262 page: http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avme262.html

"Several other variants were considered but not built. The "Me-262 HG" featured
wings with greater sweepback for high-speed performance and a "vee" or
"butterfly" tail."

Old January 4th 04, 03:06 AM
Krztalizer

"Several other variants were considered but not built. The "Me-262 HG"
featured
wings with greater sweepback for high-speed performance and a "vee" or
"butterfly" tail."

All quite true, but these did not include a cockpit in the tail variant. I am
familiar with the Skoda and other projects that tried similar arrangements -
nothing from Messerschmitt to suggest they were interested in this approach.

v/r
Gordon
Stormbirds.com/recon staff
Old January 4th 04, 04:54 PM
vzlion

On 3 Jan 2004 08:56:50 -0800, (robert arndt) wrote:

[...]

Looks like a cross between the proposed Ta 283 and the Lippish P-13.

Walt

Old January 4th 04, 05:39 PM
robert arndt

I recieved an e-mail today from Germany that claimed that the Me-262
HG IV was an actual design put forth on (14/12/44) as an alternative
to Hornung's P.1106.
Basically what is claimed is that the requirement for a refined,
improved performance Me-262 project began in Feb 1944 with the HG
series submitted in March 1944, depicted in three stages: HG I, HG II,
HG III...
One month before HG I took to the skies on Jan 18, 1945 a further HG
IV design was put forth based on the HG III design III model but
moving the cockpit back into the tail. This was around the time the Me
P.1106 was proposed as a cheaper alternative to the P.1101. The date
of this design was (12/12/44) so the HG IV design date of (14/12/44)
seems accurate. Study of the P.1106 continued from Dec '44 to Feb '45.
Two designs were finalized but rejected in Mar 1945 as unsatisfactory
due to poor visibility, the V-tail arrangement, and high wing
The Me-262 HG IV proposal only ended up with a scale model and was
shelved as well in Mar 1945.
The German e-mail also mentioned that the HG IV design is known in
Germany.

Rob