DUATS and LockMart

Old August 3rd 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

Default DUATS and LockMart

In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
Umm.. Those would be the folks that wish to pay for a free service?

It won't be a free service. That's the point.

Well almost. My point is why would LM push people from a service that costs
them less to provide (DUATS) to one that costs them more to provide (Live
Briefings)?

For them, it really doesn't matter because the government is paying, not
the consumer.

But for LM, if they are permitted to provide an "extra" service for
additional revenue, that could be very attractive, especially if there
is no competition.

JKG
Old August 3rd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bdl

Jay Beckman wrote:
Hey All...

I may have misinterpreted what I read, but did anyone else recently see any
mention of a possible plan to take DUATS out of the realm of competitive
bidding, give it soley to LockMart who would then remove it's status as an
"official" source of Wx info?

I saw the various fliers that one of the DUATS vendors was passing out
during Airventure. They're big thing was that Lockheed was so new to
the game, that it would take them many years to develop the product
that currently exists with DUATS today. Call your congressman, boycott
the FAA, etc, etc.

Personally, I find that talk a little overblown. Its obvious that FS21
(the name for the FSS "service" that Lockheed is slated to provide) has
a computer component to it. All the material I have received and heard
from AOPA revolves around how with the new system, FSS will finally be
in the current level of technology.

One of the features supposedly is the ability to look at a web page
showing the weather information while on the phone with a briefer.
With both of you looking at the same information. I'm envisioning some
sort of virtual whiteboard web based app, which would allow the briefer
to highlight areas of weather directly to the interested party.

In addition, the briefer will have information about you the pilot,
your level of ratings, etc. So that information can be more tailored to
you. If your IFR rated vs. VFR-only, etc.

I can't imagine in today's day and age, not having a computer based
method for getting weather information. Its cheaper for the
government, its cheaper for Lockheed (and still would count as a
"briefing" for their SLA counts), and all around more efficient. If
Lockheed started charging extra for a computer briefing rather than a
live phone briefing (which is supposed to still be free based on the
current funding mechanism for the FAA), then pilots would simply
continue to do what they do now. Use unofficial weather information,
or talk only to live briefings. Which only drive up Lockheed's costs.

I wouldn't worry too much about a computer based briefing going away.
DUATS more than likely will go away, but that should only affect people
whose livelihood depends on DUATS.

Old August 3rd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:
Umm.. Those would be the folks that wish to pay for a free service?

It won't be a free service. That's the point.

Well almost. My point is why would LM push people from a service that
costs
them less to provide (DUATS) to one that costs them more to provide (Live
Briefings)?

For them, it really doesn't matter because the government is paying, not
the consumer.

But for LM, if they are permitted to provide an "extra" service for
additional revenue, that could be very attractive, especially if there
is no competition.

I've seen nothing though that the FAA isn't going to pay LM for providing
DUATS if they don't renew the current contracts.