5 Canceled Flights in a Row

Old April 1st 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

Default 5 Canceled Flights in a Row

On 2007-04-01, BT wrote:
Last Day of March.. departed about 3pm with a two thousand foot AGL tow.
Soared up to 10K MSL, about 7K AGL and traveled to a remote town 12 miles
away and returned.

You erm... lucky person.

It was totally flat here - fling off the winch and glide to a landing.
A strong northwesterly and a stable atmosphere does not make for great
soaring, merely currency flights!

Old April 1st 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
What a period of weather! We've been forced to cancel 5 scenic
airplane rides in a row, over the last week, due to high winds, low
ceilings, and bad visibility.

Needless to say, we've had a lot of disappointed couples who were
really looking forward to a romantic sunset ride over the city. In
some cases, it was to have been their first airplane ride. And, of
course, issuing refunds on a service that we sell "at cost" is always
painful. (The credit card companies get us both ways, going in and
coming out...)

I'm starting to understand why we're the only hotel in America that
sells airplane rides. No one else is dumb enough to do it!

Can't you wait and charge then after the ride? Or right before you
leave? That way, no ride, no charges and no credit card fees.

Matt
Old April 1st 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

thank you... one of the benefits of living in the Desert Southwest part of
the US.

BT

Old April 2nd 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 1, 11:29 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Hey! I thought you had the statistics to prove this never happens
gd&r

Well, we've apparently used up our 5.2% IFR for the entire next
year...

;-)

Actually, the conditions here have been VFR much of the time -- but
who the heck wants to go on a "scenic" airplane ride with winds
gusting to 49 knots?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Well, we've apparently used up our 5.2% IFR for the entire next
year...

;-)

Looks like you don't need that IFR ticket for another year. its gonna
be CAVU till next spring. G

Actually, the conditions here have been VFR much of the time -- but
who the heck wants to go on a "scenic" airplane ride with winds
gusting to 49 knots?

--

Some who wants to witness a VERY short take off roll???

Old April 2nd 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Apr 1, 12:16 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Jet-Air, in turn, bills us $75. We act as a flow-through, and do not
make money on the deal. In fact, by the time you factor in our
credit card fees, the time spent setting up the flights, the ride to/
from the airport, we're losing money -- but it's worth it to spread
the good word about GA.

Well, usually it is... This week, I'm not so sure.
--

Could be worse Jay. At least you're not stranding people in a Piper on
a taxiway for hours on end...

Old April 2nd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Can't you wait and charge then after the ride? Or right before you
leave? That way, no ride, no charges and no credit card fees.

Yeah, we're working on that.

We have set up our hotel so that all charges are done at check-IN, not
out, like so many others do.

This does two things I like: First, it makes sure we get a signature
on the actual charge, not just on a check-in card. This can be
important when dealing with credit card companies. Second, it makes
check-out for our guests truly easy and quick. They can just leave
the keys on the kitchen counter, and out the door they go. (Although
most come to the lobby to chew the fat with us, anyway.)

The downside is that we have to issue credits back occasionally. For
example, if a guest pays for a week, and has to leave early, we end up
giving money back, which is expensive and a hassle.

I keep going back and forth on this. There are many advantages to
doing this either way.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 3rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

[...]

That "gusting" part leaves me out!

Peter

Old April 3rd 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Jet-Air, in turn, bills us $75. We act as a flow-through, and do not
make money on the deal. In fact, by the time you factor in our
credit card fees, the time spent setting up the flights, the ride to/
from the airport, we're losing money -- but it's worth it to spread
the good word about GA.

Well, usually it is... This week, I'm not so sure.
--

Could be worse Jay. At least you're not stranding people in a Piper on
a taxiway for hours on end...

Oooooooh. I tried not to laugh, but I failed miserably. :-)

Peter

cheap air flights [email protected] Owning 0 January 19th 06 02:12 AM
Just think about those old mail flights clyde woempner Piloting 4 January 19th 05 03:12 AM
Zero-G flights in FL Ross Oliver Piloting 4 September 20th 04 06:46 PM
P47 flights Regnirps Military Aviation 0 May 29th 04 04:15 AM
how I map my flights Snowbird Instrument Flight Rules 10 November 30th 03 11:26 PM