Is this where the UFO (kit gyro) people got their idea?

Old April 23rd 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Is this where the UFO (kit gyro) people got their idea?

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Helicopters/1043.htm

Is this where the UFO (kit gyro) people got their idea?

The Monk

Old April 24th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Flyingmonk wrote:
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Helicopters/1043.htm

Is this where the UFO (kit gyro) people got their idea?

The Monk

Actually, I believe the Avian got certificated in the U.S., but they
ran out of money before they could get any made and sold. The Air &
Space (Umbaugh) and McCulloch were the only 2 that ever made it into
production. Neither made over 100 units if I recall. I have Mac # 72.

Old April 24th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hey Ken,

Shouldn't you now be called KenNorthCarolina now? g

I was thinking of the ducted prop idea.

The Monk

Old May 7th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

On 2006-04-23 19:43:59 -0400, "Kensandyeggo" said:

Flyingmonk wrote:
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Helicopters/1043.htm

Is this where the UFO (kit gyro) people got their idea?

The Monk

Actually, I believe the Avian got certificated in the U.S., but they
ran out of money before they could get any made and sold. The Air &
Space (Umbaugh) and McCulloch were the only 2 that ever made it into
production. Neither made over 100 units if I recall. I have Mac # 72.

Yeah, Ken

Somebody was trying to re-launch it as the "Pegasus" a couple years
back. Their website is still up:

http://www.pegasusrotorcraft.com/

I thought it used Hughes rotors like the other two certified gyros do
(I think?) but the FAQ (which is a .pdf, warning!) says that their
craft is immune to ground resonance because the rotors can't go out of
phase. I'm having trouble figuring out how they built it without
lead/lag hinges.

The 18A was produced by Umbaugh, Air & Space, and Farrington. According
to Aerofiles, it looks like 110 Umbaughs, 68 Air & Space, and an
unknown number of Farringtons were built. I personally doubt Farrington
constructed any new-build ships.

The whole entry on the McCulloch does not suggest any population. It is:

Helicopter Div, McCulloch Motors Inc, Los Angeles CA, Lake Havasu City
AZ. McCulloch Aircraft Corp, 119 Standard St, El Segundo CA.

J-2 Gyroplane 1962 = 2pCAg; 180hp Lycoming pusher; rotor: 26'0" length:
16'0" load: 550# v: x/105/28 range: 300; ff: 6/x/62. $19,950. Twin
booms and tails. Landings and take-offs in 75'. Prototype {N217M].

(There was an unsuccessful helicopter in 1951)

I think J-2s were marketed until at least 1972. Silas Smith is (was?)
selling one he said was a '72 with low hours. (~50).

Rejean Laflamme in Quebec owned and flew both the J-2 and the 18A. He
preferred the roomier 18A but disliked some of its handling
characteristics. He fought a multiyear battle with Transport Canada to
license it.

cheers

-=K=-

Rule #1: Don't hit anything big.

Old May 10th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Kevin wrote:
(I think?) but the FAQ (which is a .pdf, warning!) says that their
craft is immune to ground resonance because the rotors can't go out of
phase. I'm having trouble figuring out how they built it without
lead/lag hinges.

Correct me if I'm wrong (very pften I am g), but I believe they only
use the blades, not the entire rotor system. I also believe that the
blade are/were installed upside down.

The Monk

Old May 11th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Uh that should have been:

I also believe that the blades are/were installed upside down.

The Monk

The Gyro House Jonathan Goodish Owning 19 January 2nd 06 08:16 PM
Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
A Question For Real Airline Pilots Blue Simulators 34 September 6th 04 01:55 AM
Hiroshima/Nagasaki vs conventional B-17 bombing zxcv Military Aviation 55 April 4th 04 07:05 AM
I Wanna Build an Aeroplane Badwater Bill Home Built 71 August 19th 03 02:24 PM