Turbine to RC transition

Old May 15th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Turbine to RC transition

Some friends bought me a really spiffy coaxial RC helicopter for my
birthday. Holy canoli these things are a stinkin blast! A little humbling at
first too, it took me a while to figure out the trim hickamajobs, and flying
one without it being trimmed is damn near impossible. I crashed pretty badly
once and it cost me a set of rotor blades, truly embarassing.

I've seen some comments that they fly like the bigger ones, and to a
limited extent I agree, but mostly its its own animal and my more general
knowledge only helped a little. I mostly have to follow the thing around and
stay behind it so that I don't get confused with the controls. Trying to
visulize being inside is still very confusing for my old synapses if its
tail is anywhere between 9 and 3 o'clock.

The whole reversed sensing / control thing led to a really simple circuit
idea that could make it so that the controls were always oriented for the
observer/controller. If you put an ADF circuit and a slightly more
complicated antenna on the helicopter so that it listened to the phase and
doppler from the transmitter's frequency, you could pretty simply make it so
the helicopter always knew where it was relative its controller, and mix it
in to the servo controls. This way left is always left, and right is always
right. The circuit would be pretty dirt cheap. Anyone know if this has
already been done?

I know the rc purists will say bah , and poo poo the whole idea, but truth
is youre cheating anyways with that lil yaw gyro keeping the tail in place
automagically. Besides, my idea isnt just applicable to these lil choppers,
it would work for every ROV that is controlled by an observer physically
watching it.

Bart

Old May 15th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"B4RT" wrote in message
Some friends bought me a really spiffy coaxial RC helicopter for my
birthday.

I suspect you don't realize this is not a radio control NG.

Old May 15th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

jim.blakely wrote:
"B4RT" wrote in message
Some friends bought me a really spiffy coaxial RC helicopter for my
birthday.

I suspect you don't realize this is not a radio control NG.

I suspect you are an idiot.

Old May 15th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Insults from full sized pilots who don't care about RC aside, that's an
interesting idea about the ADF and antenna circuit. As an RC helicopter
pilot, I'm not sure how it's going to help you. You still need to direct
the model to where you want it to go, relative to where it is and it's
orientation to you. I guess I'm missing the point, but it seems to me that,
as hard as RC helicopter are to "learn" to fly (they're really not that bad
once you know how. You full size pilots should understand that statement!
;-) ), that if what you're suggesting would work, someone would have tried
it by now!

By the way, I'm glad you're enjoying the coaxial model, and I don't mean to
burst your bubble but, of the folks I know that have tried them, most say
the new electric coaxials are dirt simple to control relative to the
standard configuration (main and tail rotor) style models. If you think
what you have is challenging, try a standard model. ;-) You're right
though, they are a stinkin blast! :-D

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old May 15th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"jim.blakely" wrote in message

I suspect you don't realize this is not a radio control NG.

Yes, I know that. I also know that theres some very loyal readers in here
who fly them. I was commenting on the differences between my 3000lb
helicopter and three 3ounce one, hence the title.

Bart

Old May 15th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"JohnO" wrote in message
oups.com...

jim.blakely wrote:
"B4RT" wrote in message
Some friends bought me a really spiffy coaxial RC helicopter for my
birthday.

I suspect you don't realize this is not a radio control NG.

I suspect you are an idiot.

Have a bad day there JohnO? Don't over-read my post.

I've been called worse than that by better than you. Stay focused on the
discussion.

Old May 15th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

which coax RC model did they give you, and are real kamov style twin
rotors easier to fly?

Steve Roberts

Old May 15th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

jim.blakely wrote:
"JohnO" wrote in message
oups.com...

jim.blakely wrote:
"B4RT" wrote in message
Some friends bought me a really spiffy coaxial RC helicopter for my
birthday.

I suspect you don't realize this is not a radio control NG.

I suspect you are an idiot.

Have a bad day there JohnO?

Nah, pretty good day actually. Why?

Don't over-read my post.

I've been called worse than that by better than you.

I'm sure you have!

Stay focused on the
discussion.

Thanks for the tip.

Old May 16th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 15 May 2006 01:03:41 -0400, "B4RT"
wrote:

Practice, practice, practice...

Which coax didja get? Blade CX. Hirobo Lama??

The Hirobo Lama. It must have a pretty smart lil computer in there. I
notice it adjusting
things for me at start up.

I'm not really complaining about the reverse sensing thing, its kinda like
flying a backward ILS on steam guages. Its just that I can envision that
things could be made a little less confusing with it. Afterall, modern glass
systems can flip that thing around.

Bart

Old May 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:10:15 -0400, "B4RT"
wrote:

The Hirobo Lama. It must have a pretty smart lil computer in there. I
notice it adjusting
things for me at start up.

It's got a nifty rate gain "gyro" in it...

I'm not really complaining about the reverse sensing thing, its kinda like
flying a backward ILS on steam guages. Its just that I can envision that
things could be made a little less confusing with it. Afterall, modern
glass
systems can flip that thing around.

Practice nose out hovering, then start 45 degrees to either side..
then 90 degrees to either side, then 135 degrees and then nose in. I
still can't do the 135 degree stuff, but nose in is coming along
nicely. Funny, but I can hover inverted better than nose-in.

I had the same problem when I was at your stage. Straight nose-in wasn't an
issue. That 135 degree point was a total PITA. About the best explanation
I can give is that the model is oriented right at that point where your
brain is trying to decide whether to control it's in normal or nose-in mode.
I remember when I first learned nose-in, I figured that I could start doing
smooth pirouettes now because that was I skill I always wanted to master.
Only to find out that, while I could comfortably fly tail or nose-in,
transitioning between the two, smoothly, was another matter.

Hang in there, it will come! :-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.