Specialty Tape Question

Old March 17th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Default Specialty Tape Question

I am looking for a source for a special kind of tape that I saw used
on another glider. I don't know the generic name, but this tape is
applied somewhat permanently to both surfaces that will receive normal
gap sealing tape. I'll call it "anti-damage tape". The stuff I saw
was 1/4" wide, very thin, and was *very* sticky on one side and had a
high-gloss very smooth white surface on the outside. Its purpose is
to supply surfaces to which normal 1/2" gap tape will easily adhere.
But when removing the gap tape during disassembly the gap tape pulls
off the anti-damage tape without pulling the anti-damage tape with it
(implication is the anti-damage tape adheres much more strongly to the
glider than the gap tape adheres to the anti-damage tape). The anti-
damage tape will remain firmly stuck to the glider surfaces (e.g.,
wing root and mating fuselage surfaces). The net effect being
absolutely *no* paint or gelcoat is pulled off of the glider itself
when removing the gap tape.

Hopefully the above description is clear. Any ideas for a source
would be appreciated.

Regards,

Doug Hoffman

Old March 17th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Mar 17, 4:06 pm, "Doug Hoffman" wrote:
[...]

Wings and Wheels has narrow tape used for the leading edges on mylar
seals which might do what you are looking for . I think it made by
Tesa.

Old March 17th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

On Mar 17, 4:24 pm, "chipsoars" wrote:

Wings and Wheels has narrow tape used for the leading edges on mylar
seals which might do what you are looking for.

I am familiar with the PVC anti-peel tape and have a lot of it (from
W&W). But the tape I saw is thinner, glossier, stickier, and very
stretchy. The PVC anti-peel tape is relatively thicker, has a
relatively duller exterior, and has relatively little stretch.

Thanks.

Doug

Old March 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Doug Hoffman wrote:
On Mar 17, 4:24 pm, "chipsoars" wrote:

Wings and Wheels has narrow tape used for the leading edges on mylar
seals which might do what you are looking for.

I am familiar with the PVC anti-peel tape and have a lot of it (from
W&W). But the tape I saw is thinner, glossier, stickier, and very
stretchy. The PVC anti-peel tape is relatively thicker, has a
relatively duller exterior, and has relatively little stretch.

The factory anti-peel tape on my ASH 26 E is Tesa brand, thin, glossy,
stretchy. I've seen Tesa brand on apparently identical rolls sold at
Fred Meyer stores and elsewhere.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 18th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Eric Greenwell wrote:

The factory anti-peel tape on my ASH 26 E is Tesa brand, thin,
glossy,
stretchy. I've seen Tesa brand on apparently identical rolls
sold at
Fred Meyer stores and elsewhere.

Thanks Eric! I'll check it out.

Regards,