Gear handle design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27th 15, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Gear handle design

When I bought my current ASH26E in '03, I found the Schleicher gear handle (standard vertical design) wanting, at least for me. Problem was, especially on retraction, pulling the handle back towards me to raise the gear, my arm strength diminished the closer my elbow got to my torso . . . just when it should be finishing its stroke and snicking into the up detent, I'd run out of oomph just as it was moving more vetically and increasing its resistance - - or something like that. Doing the little push over maneuver helped, but seemed clumsy and sometimes needed to be repeated with the gear swinging in the breeze.

I set about designing some new handles, one of which worked really well and solved the problem for me (see youtube link below for 1 minute demo). This handle installs with a large hidden set screw after sliding off the original handle. It is intended for ASH26E, 31Mi, and 30Mi Schleichers, however, the design my work well on other gliders, but the milled slot for the original handle may have to be adjusted to fit.

In this video, the glider is suspended from a sling and hoist in my hangar, no air stream to assist the wheel moving aft. The redesigned handle makes it easy, not a problem even for my old arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEjytbOWbI

all the best,

bumper