Right File, Wrong Directory?

Old November 30th 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Default Right File, Wrong Directory?

Hi Folks, I just joined the group (naturally with a problem). I know
how to fly but don't know computers at this level of sophistication. I
just bought a new PC and FS2004, but I when I tried some add-ons, I
didn't have a clue as to which file went into which folder. Is there a
source I can go to for help? It's the pits at my age to realize just
how illiterate I am!!!

Old November 30th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

On 30 Nov 2005 08:09:53 -0800, "scooter"
postulated :
Hi Folks, I just joined the group (naturally with a problem). I know
how to fly but don't know computers at this level of sophistication. I
just bought a new PC and FS2004, but I when I tried some add-ons, I
didn't have a clue as to which file went into which folder. Is there a
source I can go to for help? It's the pits at my age to realize just
how illiterate I am!!!

Usually the author of the "add on" has instructions on which files go
in the destination directories. This is usually in the "Read First" or
"Read Me" file.
Old November 30th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Been there, done that. I loaded from the CD that came with issue 37 of
PC Pilot. Everything went well but nothing comes up when I activated
FS2004. Later noted some weather files in flight plan folder and
visa-versa. Also got "Hawk" acft in a folder not related to FS2004. It
seems almost random. Maybe I need a local expert to assist. Know anyone
in St. Pete, Fl?

Old November 30th 05, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

On 30 Nov 2005 08:27:41 -0800, "scooter"
postulated :
Been there, done that. I loaded from the CD that came with issue 37 of
PC Pilot. Everything went well but nothing comes up when I activated
FS2004. Later noted some weather files in flight plan folder and
visa-versa. Also got "Hawk" acft in a folder not related to FS2004. It
seems almost random. Maybe I need a local expert to assist. Know anyone
in St. Pete, Fl?

Pose your question in alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
and see if you get a more specific answer to your question. Perhaps
someone has a copy of PC Pilot. It's a better NG.
Old November 30th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Try http://www.simviation.com/acinstall.htm for installing planes. Root
around and
you will find out how to install scenery, etc.

Frank

Old November 30th 05, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Wow!, thanks. I've never participated in a group before. Looks like
I'll stick around a while. If anyone needs info on flying the bush in
Costa Rica, I'm your man. Tnx again.

Old December 1st 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

--

Scooter,

Come over to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim like the man said. You get
friendship, good advice and now you get to put up your photo on a map of the
world to show us where you live and what you look like :-)
Flying in Costa Rica seems interesting, we'd all like to hear about that..

Quilly,

Have a look at the new Anti-Spyware program CounterSpy
I recommend it, it worked for me at,

http://quilljar.users.btopenworld.com/

Old December 2nd 05, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Hi Quilly,
You "Old Pros" have learned so much, you speak chapters in each word
and forget that Nubies like me can't keep up. alt.games.microsoft-sim
seems like an incomplete address. Like I said, I can fly but internet
addresses (like all computer stuff) are new to me. Give a bloke a break
and I'd be happy to join your group. Tnx, Scooter

Old December 4th 05, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

On 2 Dec 2005 06:42:45 -0800, "scooter"
wrote:

Hi Quilly,
You "Old Pros" have learned so much, you speak chapters in each word
and forget that Nubies like me can't keep up. alt.games.microsoft-sim
seems like an incomplete address. Like I said, I can fly but internet
addresses (like all computer stuff) are new to me. Give a bloke a break
and I'd be happy to join your group. Tnx, Scooter

Hey scooter,

I just popped over to the alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim newsgroup
and don't see a posting there from you yet. Did you manage to "find"
it OK?

If not, maybe, just maybe, this might help. I don't know what
program(s) you may be using, but I use AGENT for my newsgroup stuff.
With it, at the top of my screen in the toolbar is "TOOLS". In the
drop-down there, pick "Newsgroup Directory". That brings up a big
box, with a directory of all the Newsgroups it knows about, beginning
with "0", and on through "12HR.sex" and on and on and on.... On mine,
there are about 45,000 of them listed, including the one you want,
alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim Scroll down until you find it. On
mine, the "scroll-bar" on the right side has to be approximately 3/8
of the way down to be anywhere NEAR the correct place. The newsgroup
list is ABSOLUTELY alphabetical, so just keep looking at how they do
that sort, and eventually you'll get to the one you want. When you
find it, just "pick" it, and that should get added to your browser
page.

Hope it works.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.