Posting idea??

Old February 24th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Posting idea??

Is there a way to kill file a poster who uses multiple names?

I'm getting tired of even seeing the posts by the wacko who complains about
the instrument company.

Old February 24th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:44:39 GMT, "Viperdoc"
wrote in
::

Is there a way to kill file a poster who uses multiple names?

That depends on two things.

If the offending poster is posting all his articles from the same IP
address, you can use that as the key for your filter rules.

Because you are using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 as your
news reading client program, you may not be able to set its filter to
work that way. Consider Forte Agent: http://www.forteinc.com

Old February 24th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Is there a way to kill file a poster who uses multiple names?

I'm getting tired of even seeing the posts by the wacko who complains
about the instrument company.

I created a rule that says "Any post with 'Belfort' in it gets trashed."
It works great!

It'll be interesting to see if I'll be able to see my own post, now that
I've uttered the dreaded word...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 24th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
How about just ignoring them altogether and let them die. Do not be
tempted to reply.

I've always thought that one should not let idiocy go unchallenged...
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot to be challenged around here
lately... If my newsreader just had the option to ignore topics that are
crossposted to other newsgroups (especially ones to which I don't
subscribe), it would signficantly cut down on the crap...

Old February 24th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
How about just ignoring them altogether and let them die. Do not be
tempted to reply.

I've always thought that one should not let idiocy go unchallenged...

Generally a good rule. However, there are people who relish in producing
idiocy, just to keep people who don't like idiocy busy.

My general philosophy is that idiocy from people who are otherwise reputable
should not go unchallenged. That includes idiocy an otherwise reputable
person starts espousing as a result of repeating something an unreputable
person writes.

But idiocy from someone with no reputation, or with a reputation of
promulgating idiocy, need not be challenged. This is especially true for
idiocy that can't even pass basic "sniff tests" by reasonable and
intelligent people, such as tends to be the kind of idiocy that shows up
here.

You can't waste your time chasing down raw idiocy. There's just too much of
it, and any rational person isn't going to be taking it seriously anyway.
Challenging it is just a waste of time, and other resources.

Pete

Old February 26th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Montblack wrote:
With all of these nonsense posts/threads ...I have an idea:

Best solution I've found: Mozilla Thunderbird and the 'k' key (ignore
thread). One keystroke and boom, thread ignored, end of story.

Second best solution (maybe better than my "best" above...but I have no
idea how to accomplish this one): Convince everyone to simply not feed
the trolls.

So Paul, to go even farther OT and/or hijack your thread here...how goes
PMC 2.0?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane