Shipping a Radar-Advice?

Old August 30th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

Default Shipping a Radar-Advice? - The conclusion

"Doug Semler" wrote in message
news:SKSdnXUBluUXgkvbnZ2dnUVZ_tOtnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. 18...
B A R R Y wrote:
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Do NOT ship UPS. Those *******s will find a way to screw up the
process one way or another, and we ship two to three hundred packages
a year.

Good advice for packing. As another data point, our bike shop's
experience is exactly the opposite for the two shipping companies
mentioned.

Same here, Fedex today dropped off a package, never rang the bell or
knocked on the door and left without a signature...

And they always do that, even leaving packages outside or in the rain...

UPS on the other hand always wants to tell me hello (and probably to get
something cool to drink)...

An FYI: You can contact FedEx and always require a signature (or hold) on
packages destined for your address. I do that because I have (on a
semi-regular basis) have high-value packages...

--
Doug Semler, MCPD
a.a. #705, BAAWA. EAC Guardian of the Horn of the IPU (pbuhh).

I took it to a local Package depot. They were professional, understood
my problem, and quoted me a price of $75 to build a 20" * 20" box, large
enough to hold both parts. The Antenna unit is bolted to the floor, through
bushings, and the entire wooden box is sent inside a cardboard box with a 2"
layer of peanuts. The fellow that is building the box is also an aircraft
owner, and is very meticulous. 2nd day air, and lots of insurance.

Thanks for your help, and if anyone needs to do it again, I know a guy
with a really neat box.

Al G

Old August 30th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Darrel Toepfer

"Doug Semler" wrote:

An FYI: You can contact FedEx and always require a signature (or hold)
on packages destined for your address. I do that because I have (on a
semi-regular basis) have high-value packages...

I use my shipping dollars to geaux to the vendor that does the best job,
typically UPS or USPS... Doesn't matter the value, they'll have a tough
time not paying on an insured item that doesn't have a signature...

Old September 2nd 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Judah

"Al G" wrote in
:

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Actually (a) the OP said he wanted to ship the RT unit and the display;
never said a frikkin' word about the antenna

My apologies, Jim, I thought the existance of the antenna was
implied.
This unit consists of two parts, the display in the aircraft, and the
unit under the wing. The base unit that mounts to the pod is fairly
rigged, but the slotted dish doesn't look like it would support much
weight. I'm concerned about the unit getting tipped over, and landing on
the antenna in the box. I'm sure that the base unit can support the
antenna, which only weighs grams, like it does in turbulence, but I'm
trying to avoid any situation where the antenna has to support the base
unit that weighs about 15lbs.
I've checked with our King dealer, in Troutdale, and all they will
tell
me is that they use a box from Honeywell. I've asked for a contact or
part number or something, but got no reply.
Roseburg isn't a big town, and doesn't have a Kinko's, but I think
we
have a package express, or something.

Perhaps the PC shipping model is appropriate...

Some rigid styrofoam bars (you might even find them at a craft store or the
craft section of a walmart) well taped together into a structure
surrounding the antenna and then taped to the base. If the unit is flipped
over, the structure should serve as a stand to the base so that the antenna
is essentially suspended (but supported, ideally)...

Generally, a picture is worth 1000 words, but hopefully I have enough words
here to draw a bit of a picture...

Shipping a Radar-Advice? Al G[_1_] Piloting 22 September 2nd 07 12:00 AM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Europe to NA shipping ADK Soaring 0 April 29th 06 12:29 AM
FS: Garmin 196 $550 + Shipping Daniel L. Lieberman Products 0 April 22nd 05 04:33 PM
Integrating onboard weather radar data with satellite-fed Doppler radar [email protected] General Aviation 3 January 9th 05 08:57 PM