Another ADIZ violation?

Old December 28th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another ADIZ violation?

All:

I heard a lot of air activity over my Washington, DC home today, and
was told later by a friend that an 84-year-old pilot had a total
electrical failure on the way from Stafford, VA (KRMN), where
maintenance was being performed on his plane. According to my friend,
the pilot landed at Indian Head, MD (2W5) after violating the
Washington DC ADIZ airspace, and didn't even see the intercept chopper
until it landed with him. Don't know how accurate these details are,
haven't seen any news on it yet.

Paradoxically, every time someone accidentally violates the ADIZ, it
reinforces the notion for some people that we really need the ADIZ...

Old December 29th 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

"Wiz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
Paradoxically, every time someone accidentally violates the ADIZ, it
reinforces the notion for some people that we really need the ADIZ...

Only to people who have left their brain in neutral.

To anyone that bothers to think about it, ADIZ violations simply prove how
little the ADIZ has to do with actual security.

Old December 29th 05, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Paradoxically, every time someone accidentally violates the ADIZ, it
reinforces the notion for some people that we really need the ADIZ...

Only to people who have left their brain in neutral.

To anyone that bothers to think about it, ADIZ violations simply
prove how little the ADIZ has to do with actual security.

Ever see "The Jerk"? The ADIZ "founders" must think terrorists share the
mentality as the sniper who refused to chase Steve Martin into the carnival
area because there was a sign which said "carnival personnel only".

Old December 29th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah it happened.
The guy took off from Hyde went somewhere and tried to come back in. Had
a "total electrical failure" and ended up landing at Maryland Airport.
Michelle

Old December 29th 05, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

I'm not familiar with the area with regards to the airspace
but with the IAD and BWI Class B plus the ADIZ, it must
be pretty easy to bust with everything working.
More importantly, I don't think the guy busted ANYTHING
per 91.3. A complete electrical failure is an emergency in my
book. If I had a complete electrical failure I'd
land wherever the hell *I* felt like it as long as my
butt was safe in the end. When the blackhawks
showed up, I'd be more than happy to have an
escort to airport of *my* choosing. I'll deal
with any paperwork on the ground.

Gerald

Old December 29th 05, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Gerald wrote:
I'm not familiar with the area with regards to the airspace but with the IAD and BWI Class B

Hyde is also a stone throw from Andrews AFB.

The Monk

Old December 29th 05, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

The problem is if you have a communications or transponder problem then
you must turn around and leave the ADIZ on the most direct route out and
away from the center. He may not have done this. Maryland (2W5) is
inside the ADIZ. I have not talked to him yet. He was leaving the
airport when I was just landing from my morning Traffic run.
Michelle

Old December 29th 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In article . net,
Michelle P wrote:

The problem is if you have a communications or transponder problem then
you must turn around and leave the ADIZ on the most direct route out and
away from the center. He may not have done this. Maryland (2W5) is
inside the ADIZ. I have not talked to him yet. He was leaving the
airport when I was just landing from my morning Traffic run.
Michelle

The problem here is that you really don't know if your TXP has failed if
you can't communicate with anyone. Transmitters are usually the first
things to go off line when the voltage drops.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old December 29th 05, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Michelle P wrote:

The problem is if you have a communications or transponder problem then
you must turn around and leave the ADIZ on the most direct route out and
away from the center.

Depending upon the circumstances of the failure (ie. a complete electrical
failure in IMC but still near an airport), departing an airport's area
would compound the problem. I don't know the circumstances of this pilot's
difficulty or response, but I could easily see following the aforementioned
rule being the wrong choice in at least some cases.

That is a perspective I've yet to notice: the ADIZ is unsafe.

- Andrew

Old December 29th 05, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Is a transponder not a transmitter? Output power is directly related to
voltage.

I was flying back from PA to Columbus, OH a few weeks ago and lost the
alternator. I was talking with Indy center. I shut off everything but the
transponder, one comm and the tail strobe. Eventually, the controller asked
for my altitude, as the voltage had apparently dropped enough that she
wasn't getting a reply, but I was still able to communicate.

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news