When did turboprops come into vogue?

Old January 19th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
es330td

Default When did turboprops come into vogue?

I was reading my new Flying magazine today and it had an article
covering the decline of the 310/Seneca type light twins. It pointed
out that the performance ground previously addressed by a twin piston
is now covered by turbine powered aircraft. Being new to flying
myself vs riding in a fast bus I'm not well versed in GA history. I
was just curious to know when the single engine turboprop became a
true viable alternative.
Old January 19th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

es330td wrote:
I was reading my new Flying magazine today and it had an article
covering the decline of the 310/Seneca type light twins. It pointed
out that the performance ground previously addressed by a twin piston
is now covered by turbine powered aircraft. Being new to flying
myself vs riding in a fast bus I'm not well versed in GA history. I
was just curious to know when the single engine turboprop became a
true viable alternative.

At least 10 years ago.
Old January 20th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:51:29 -0800 (PST), es330td wrote:

It pointed out that the performance ground previously addressed by a twin piston
is now covered by turbine powered aircraft.

Much of the logic is based on the concept that 1 turboprop engine is more
reliable than 2 piston engines.

--
Dallas
Old January 25th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:22:15 -0600, Dallas
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:51:29 -0800 (PST), es330td wrote:

It pointed out that the performance ground previously addressed by a twin piston
is now covered by turbine powered aircraft.

Much of the logic is based on the concept that 1 turboprop engine is more
reliable than 2 piston engines.

But just wait until you see the insurance bill :-))

Roger (K8RI)