Aeronca Champ pre-purchase question

Old March 16th 04, 09:57 PM
Trent D. Sanders

Default Aeronca Champ pre-purchase question

I've been flying my 182 for the last 19 years and it's become just
"transportation" and not "fun" anymore. So I'm thinking of buying an
"airknocker" to fly for fun [and selling the 182].

Do any of you guys out there that have Aeronca experience have any
tips or suggestions on what to look for [other than the usual stuff]
in a pre-purchase for an Aeronca. Any significant AD's, etc. The
last Aeronca I had was in 1961, an L-3, that I paid $300 for!

Appreciate e-mail replies to

Thanking you in advance,

Trent Sanders
N2997Y
WHP
Old March 16th 04, 11:14 PM
Cub Driver

Do any of you guys out there that have Aeronca experience have any
tips or suggestions on what to look for

Not intending to be a wise-ass or anything, but if I were you I'd look
for a J-3.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 17th 04, 02:42 AM
Eric Rood

"Trent D. Sanders" wrote:

Do any of you guys out there that have Aeronca experience have any
tips or suggestions on what to look for [other than the usual stuff]
in a pre-purchase for an Aeronca. Any significant AD's, etc. The
last Aeronca I had was in 1961, an L-3, that I paid $300 for!

7AC
- wing attach fittings... no cracks or corrosion
- landing gear attach fittings
- does it sit wings level on the ground?
- no corrosion in the wing struts
- oleos don't leak
- tailwheel springs tight
- tailwheel wheel bearings tight
- stick play
- fuel shutoff guard and tight
- heat shrouds... no corrosion or cracks
- exhaust stacks...no corrosion or cracks
- fuel sump... glass or metal? (they can be difficult to seat properly,
you may break a couple glass ones before you get one on right)
- shielded mags
- fuel consumption 3.5 to 4 gph
- autofuel STC
- one-time wing spar AD complied with
- tail drag wires proper tension
- fuel guage doesn't leak
- rigging (does it fly straight and level)
- tubing from pitot to airspeed indicator new (no leaks)
- screws in wing fairings all same size and guage; tight
- no cracks in fairing screw holes
- hinges lubricated
- access panels on lower fuselage (check under the floorboards with
having to remove seats and floorboards)
- mechanical brakes (condition of pucks; cables properly routed through
pulleys, no broken strands; correct adjustment)
- date of last recovering (particularly, tail feathers...rust never
sleeps; fabric has been known to hide lots of corrosion)
- fabric condition... punch test
- type of paint (dope, imron, ???)
- type of fabric and weight (Stitts, ???)

Old March 17th 04, 04:40 PM
Michael

(Mackfly) wrote
From: Cub Driver

Not intending to be a wise-ass or anything, but if I were you I'd look
for a J-3.

What ever for?

There are the Cub people, and there are the Champ people, and never
the twain shall meet. This is a debate that has been going on for
over half a century, and shows no signs of stopping. I will admit up
front that I'm a Champ person.

Being the traditional type (ragwings forever - those newfangled
all-metal airplanes are just a fad) I did my tailwheel transition in
both. Five hours total, split about evenly between the Cub and Champ.
I soloed the Cub but never really cared for it much. Can't see squat
out the back seat, hard to reach the carb heat on a go-around, trim
system is a pain, etc - the ergonomics just suck. On the other hand,
it's a WAY better airplane for landing off airport. I loved the Champ
immediately - you can see what you're doing, you can reach everything
with relative ease, and that oleo landing gear makes you look good.
That gear is also flimsy - it may have been OK for the very early,
very light models - but most have been re-engined with heavier
engines, and are mostly carrying more fuel and heavier people. There
is a reason the Citabria has spring steel gear.

Which brings me to my point. The gear is the weak part of the Champ,
so check it very carefully. Leaks are common, and frankly that
packing used to seal it is crap. There are a lot of things you can do
to make a big leak seem small for a while, but the Champ owners I know
who have leaky gear just learn to live with it. If possible, buy one
with gear that doesn't leak too much.

Also, make sure the carb heat control (generally located on the left
side of the fuselage between the seats) stays put. I've flown one
that wouldn't, and partial carb heat on a small Continental engine is
a recipe for a forced landing. BTDT.

If you're serious about buying one, I have a friend who has a VERY
nice Champ, painstakingly restored as the Liason version, that he
knows he needs to sell, but hasn't gotten around to advertising yet.
Email me at
if interested.

Michael
Old March 18th 04, 05:44 AM
Robert M. Gary

I've done this. Most of the Aeronca on the market are not airworthy.
There is an AD for the wood spars and very few of the Aeroncas I've
inspected on the makert actual met the AD requirements. Most have
nails coming out and rubs rubbing the spar. Most need to have the wing
rebuilt. However, they will probably fly nicely, just good luck
getting them annualed by an honest IA.

They are a joy to fly and its too bad there aren't many good ones on
the market. When you do find a good one the price tag seems to be in
the $40K range.
-Robert

Old March 18th 04, 04:10 PM
Michael

(Robert M. Gary) wrote
I've done this. Most of the Aeronca on the market are not airworthy.
There is an AD for the wood spars and very few of the Aeroncas I've
inspected on the makert actual met the AD requirements. Most have
nails coming out and rubs rubbing the spar. Most need to have the wing
rebuilt.

This is all true. Funny thing, I don't hear about them actually
failing in flight. There is a history to this AD, and the long and
short of it is that the factory pushed it through to increase revenue.

However, they will probably fly nicely, just good luck
getting them annualed by an honest IA.

Some IA's actually understand the airplane and the history of the AD,
and comply accordingly. Others are paperpushers. Choose carefully.

They are a joy to fly and its too bad there aren't many good ones on
the market. When you do find a good one the price tag seems to be in
the $40K range.

The onese for $40K aren't really for sale. $40K is what it takes to
start with a piece of junk picked up dirt cheap and then make a really
nice new airplane out of it. It's getting more expensive. When I
helped a friend do this, he was able to put in an electrical system on
a field approval. That's becoming impossible now.

Anyway, the guys trying to sell Champs for $40K know that's not likely
to happen, but they figure they will keep flying the plane until the
market catches up or until they put enough hours on it to justify
lowering the price. And who knows - someone may buy it. If you
actually find someone who really needs to sell, you can get a nice one
for under $30K.

Michael