Headlight for night flying

Old September 13th 03, 06:20 PM
Bob Gardner

Penguins don't fly, pelicans do.

Bob Gardner

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
I use a Penguin LED light that attaches to the ear cup of my headset.

For
^^^^^^^
Pelican, of course. Sorry.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
If you drink Real beer, you become horizontal... so, if you

Old September 13th 03, 06:22 PM
Bob Gardner

Green is in, red is on the way out.

Bob Gardner

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

David Gunter wrote:

I was at Target the other day and spotted a nifty new head-mounted
flashlight that seems like it'll be perfect for night flights. It has
two very bright white LEDs and one sort-of-bright red LED.

Well, try the red one, but I think you'll find that you really want dim
lighting for night flying.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that cannot
be learned any other way. Samuel

Clemens

Old September 13th 03, 08:55 PM
Robert A. Barker

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

David Gunter wrote:

For those who attach a light to the side of your headsets: Do you feel
it pulls one side off the ear or feels off balanced?

Mine doesn't. I also have the Blackhawk.

Mine doesn't and I also have a Blackhawk

Bob Barker N8749S

Old September 14th 03, 01:30 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:07:27 -0400, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

David Gunter wrote:

For those who attach a light to the side of your headsets: Do you feel
it pulls one side off the ear or feels off balanced?

Mine doesn't. I also have the Blackhawk.

The one I have is so light you can attach it to the headset, or the
bill of a cap and not even feel the weight.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Old September 14th 03, 01:47 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Gardner wrote:

Green is in, red is on the way out.

I agree, but, given a choice between "very bright white" and "sort-of-bright
red", I'll take the red.

Old September 14th 03, 08:55 PM
Gary Drescher

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"David Gunter" wrote in message ...
I was at Target the other day and spotted a nifty new head-mounted
flashlight that seems like it'll be perfect for night flights. It has
two very bright white LEDs and one sort-of-bright red LED. The switch
allows for toggling between the two. It's powered by 3 AAA batteries
with a claim of 50 hours total time. The casing will tilt up to 90
degrees for better aiming.

You don't want even sort-of-bright for night flying.

I just got a Sharper Image clip-on LED flashlight ($15, uses 3 AAAs).
I haven't taken it flying yet, but testing it in a dark room (clipped
to my headset), it's too bright. When I cover it with a piece of
white paper, though, it seems perfect. I haven't tried green paper
yet.

--Gary
Old September 14th 03, 10:36 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, David Gunter said:
For those who attach a light to the side of your headsets: Do you feel
it pulls one side off the ear or feels off balanced? Given how light
these are I doubt it, but just want to check.

No, but then again the microphone boom only attaches to one side too, and
it doesn't unbalance your headset.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
"The thing you don't check is the thing that will kill you."
Old September 15th 03, 01:10 AM
ijustfly

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:22:33 GMT, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Green is in, red is on the way out.

Bob Gardner

I found this information to be a bit 'enlightening' regarding what
color is best for night vision.
http://members.cox.net/rigelsys/why_red.html
--
....but then WDIK... ijustfly
Old September 15th 03, 01:15 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Bob Gardner" said:
Green is in, red is on the way out.

I thought it was "red right returning"? :-)

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works.