IFR Avionics Preflight Checklists

Old January 1st 04, 06:59 PM
EDR

Default IFR Avionics Preflight Checklists

Does anyone use a separate Avionics Checklist prior to departing IFR?
I am in the process of developing my own and would appreciate seeing
what others are doing. Please cut and paste a posting to the group or
email me directly.
Thanks.
Old January 1st 04, 10:47 PM
Hankal

Does anyone use a separate Avionics Checklist prior to departing IFR?

My SOP is to set all instruments from left to right.
Then set frequencies in radios. Set frequencies for VORs.
Do a taxi check going to run-up area.
Others may do it different, but that is the way I do it.
Hank N1441P
Old January 1st 04, 11:51 PM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:59:34 GMT, EDR wrote:

Does anyone use a separate Avionics Checklist prior to departing IFR?
I am in the process of developing my own and would appreciate seeing
what others are doing. Please cut and paste a posting to the group or
email me directly.
Thanks.

The following is specifically for my aircraft and abbreviated.

IFR Pre-Flight Checklist

* * * AUDIO PANEL .
MKR 'OMI' Lamps & Audio Test
IDME Repeat Lamps

* * * COM 1 & 2 .
Frequency
TWR / APP / Channel / Volume
Test
Microphone (Radio Check)

* * * NAV 1 & 2 .
Frequency
Ident
Radial

* * * VOR 1 & 2 .
Bearing Accuracy Nearest VOR
+/-5° +/-10° Reciprocal
To / From / Flag
Glideslope Zero / Flag

* * * DME 1 & 2 .
Frequency
Ident
NM
G/Speed

* * * TRANSPONDER * * *
STB Squawk Code (7700 UK)
Ident
FL Ref. 1013mb
Timer Fuel / Airtime

* * * ADF .
Frequency
Ident
Test ANT' = 90°
Bearing Accuracy Nearest BCN

* * * AUTOPILOT .
Pull (RH) Turn L+R
Push (RH) Track VOR 1 & 2
Over-Ride L+R

* * * GPS .
Route Selected
Satellites Acquired

* * * INSTRUMENTS .
AI Align
ALT 1 & 2 QNH / FL (+/-30ft /mb)
VSI Zero
DI Set to Compass
Response to direction as A/C turning:
Ball / Turn Co-ordinator / Compass / DI / VOR / ADF

David

Piper Warrior G-BHJO
Scotland, UK

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot
Old January 2nd 04, 02:45 AM
Andrew Sarangan

EDR wrote in message ...
Does anyone use a separate Avionics Checklist prior to departing IFR?
I am in the process of developing my own and would appreciate seeing
what others are doing. Please cut and paste a posting to the group or
email me directly.
Thanks.

Avionics Master On

Check NAV radios by tuning to a LOC frequency or a nearby VOR.

Load all the relevant frequencies into the NAV, COMM and ADF radios.

Check marker beacon receiver

Get ATIS and clearance

Avionics Master Off

Start Engine

I do all of this prior to starting the engine. That way there is no rush.
Old January 2nd 04, 11:48 AM

On 1 Jan 2004 18:45:03 -0800, (Andrew
Sarangan) wrote:

EDR wrote in message ...
Does anyone use a separate Avionics Checklist prior to departing IFR?
I am in the process of developing my own and would appreciate seeing
what others are doing. Please cut and paste a posting to the group or
email me directly.
Thanks.

Avionics Master On

Check NAV radios by tuning to a LOC frequency or a nearby VOR.

Load all the relevant frequencies into the NAV, COMM and ADF radios.

Check marker beacon receiver

Get ATIS and clearance

Avionics Master Off

Start Engine

I do all of this prior to starting the engine. That way there is no rush.

I can see some advantages for setting up this way but would prefer to
start up from cold with maximum battery capacity for the starter (it's
often very cold in Scotland!).

As an ex Broadcasting Engineer I've seen most faults occur when
equipment is first switched on. After doing all your checks you will
now be switching on again. Another spike, another surge and another
operation would not be my choice though it does take for ever. We do
charge ourselves on Tach not HOBBS so less pressure on time .

Even after doing it my way I've had an alternator fail some 10 minutes
after take-off and just before entering cloud. Another time the ADF
needle failed to move in flight and later checked ok on the ground.

You can't win them all..!!!

Old January 2nd 04, 02:18 PM
EDR

Thanks David, this is what I am looking for.
What make/model autopilot do you have? (single or two-axis?)
What make/model GPS? (IFR certified? enroute and terminal?)

Old January 2nd 04, 07:23 PM
Marco Leon

Can I ask why you would want to separate VFR vs. IFR avionics checks? I like
to include any IFR avionics pre-takeoff checks in my standard checklist so I
check them during VFR flights as well. I like to know if *anything*
regarding avionics is not operational. Plus, there are only a few
IFR-specific checks:

* GPS database - Updated
* Charts (IFR) - Updated
* Pitot/Static/Transponder - Certified
* VOR - Checked

I may check my flight instruments more closely beofre an IFR flight but I
check them regardless. I'm curious to know what you expect to be different
about your VFR versus IFR checklists.

Regards,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 2nd 04, 07:52 PM
EDR

In article , Marco Leon wrote:

Can I ask why you would want to separate VFR vs. IFR avionics checks? I like
to include any IFR avionics pre-takeoff checks in my standard checklist so I
check them during VFR flights as well. I like to know if *anything*
regarding avionics is not operational. Plus, there are only a few
IFR-specific checks:

For VFR flight, the avionics are non-essential. I can fly without
turning on the avionics master, leaving everything off. The only thing
I need to depart or land at a controlled field is a COMM radio. (I can
get an exemption for not having other equipment for CBAS.)

If it is turned on and something goes TU, it doesn't matter (unless you
are flying into an area of changing or marginal weather where you
anticipate converting from VFR to IFR).

For IFR flight, I intend to use all the equipment, so I run through all
the avionics preflights. If the autopilot isn't working and am flying
single-pilot, that may be a go/no go item. Same for any other avionics
item. If it isn't working and it's deemed essential, decisions must be
made before launch.
Old January 2nd 04, 09:51 PM
Marco Leon

I agree that many--if not most--of the IFR avionics are not necessary for
VFR. I got that. Do you not check any of the non-essential avionics before a
VFR flight?

Maybe it's because I own the aircraft I fly and I would like to know what is
and what is not working. I am also based at an airport under New York Mode C
Veil. However, even on a rental I would want to know if anything is inop.
Wouldn't you?

Old January 2nd 04, 11:26 PM

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:18:26 GMT, EDR wrote:

Thanks David, this is what I am looking for.
What make/model autopilot do you have? (single or two-axis?)

Century I ( =Piper, Autoflight II), single axis.

What make/model GPS? (IFR certified? enroute and terminal?)

Skyforce II (VFR only) plus I use my old Flightmate Pro non-map GPS as
backup for the backup (with battery backup!).