Europa XS

Old March 16th 04, 06:03 AM
Bob Miller

Default Europa XS

A few questions for any Europa builders out the

1) what is the monowheel retract mechanism? (electric, manual, ??)

2) how hard would it appear to modify the baggage compartment with a
ski tube? Golf bags even?

3) I know there's no published TBO, but how is the maint experience on
the Rotax 914? cost to rebuild? how long (hours/years) most people
run them?

4) what's the * real time * it takes to detrailer and fly?

5) what are the odds they'll come up with a slightly more powerful
engine in the next 5 yr that would be a good fit? (go faster). How
hard would it be to put in a bigger fuel tank? Is the fuel tank
pre-fabbed (I would hope so)

6) how much fiberglass work is still required on the quickbuild? Any
new datapoints on build time?

7) the prop clearance appears pretty low. with that and the low
wings, It appears that its bush use would be pretty limited, right?

8) 165 kias Vne is pretty low, what is Vno?

The plane is intriguing. Near long-ez performance with the ability to
land slow (safe) and on grass. side by side seating with a reasonable
baggage compartment. ridiculously low operating costs and
trailerability. (I love the picture of the guy filling his Europa at
the auto gas pump). It just looks so....'cute'....if there was a
redneck version it would be a no-brainer.

Thanks!
Old March 23rd 04, 03:45 AM
El Roto

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
om...
A few questions for any Europa builders out the

Here's an easy way to contact a lot of Europa builders: go to the Europa
Forum at http://forum.okhuijsen.org/index.php. Check out
http://www.europa-aircraft.com/ as well.

1) what is the monowheel retract mechanism? (electric, manual, ??)

As stated, it's a manual retract (aided with bungee cord tension) which
controls the monowheel, the outriggers, and the flaps - all with one lever.

2) how hard would it appear to modify the baggage compartment with a
ski tube? Golf bags even?

You can fit a set of golf bags into the baggage bay now. Ski's would
require (IMO) *major* rework as you'd have to extend a section clear back to
the area by the stabilator horn. I get the willies thinking about it.

3) I know there's no published TBO, but how is the maint experience on
the Rotax 914? cost to rebuild? how long (hours/years) most people
run them?

That's one for the forum, but so far I've not heard of anyone taking their's
in for an overhaul.

4) what's the * real time * it takes to detrailer and fly?

Two men have taken one from on the trailer to "Switch on, chocks away" in
three minutes". The hard part is ignoring all the people who pepper you
with questions while you're trying to assemble the thing.

5) what are the odds they'll come up with a slightly more powerful
engine in the next 5 yr that would be a good fit? (go faster).

I'm not a factory rep, but I'll guess the odds are nil. The airplane's not
going to get any skinnier nor any slipperier, so a larger engine isn't going
to do a damn thing as far as adding speed. The Rotax 912S and 914 (Turbo)
with constant speed props give the Europa more than enough power in its
current configuration.

How hard would it be to put in a bigger fuel tank?

Bigger? Very hard, as the current tank is fitted with no room to spare.
However, there is a factory-built auxillary tank that increases fuel
capacity by 35 liters.

Is the fuel tank pre-fabbed (I would hope so)

Yes, and it's the sturdiest thing I've ever come across (read this:
http://home.comcast.net/~damnyankees/FuelTankpage.htm)

6) how much fiberglass work is still required on the quickbuild?

This explains it concisely:
http://www.europa-aircraft.com/Prices/USprices.htm

Any new datapoints on build time?

You can still figure on 1000 hours as a base time if you don't go with the
quickbuild and don't make any modifications and don't build the world's
nicest IFR panel and don't build the world's nicest leather interior, etc.,
etc.,. If, instead, you're like nearly every other builder in the world,
your mileage may vary.

7) the prop clearance appears pretty low. with that and the low
wings, It appears that its bush use would be pretty limited, right?

It wasn't designed to be a bush airplane, it was designed to be an aircraft
that could T/O and land on grass strips. There's a difference.

8) 165 kias Vne is pretty low[...]

Pretty low for what, a Eurofighter?

What is Vno?

131 knots

Old March 23rd 04, 03:43 PM
GeorgeB

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:45:07 -0600, "El Roto"
wrote:

3) I know there's no published TBO, but how is the maint experience on
the Rotax 914? cost to rebuild? how long (hours/years) most people
run them?

That's one for the forum, but so far I've not heard of anyone taking their's
in for an overhaul.

I happened across an April 2003 service bulletin that gives TBOs for
the Rotax untis as a function of model and serial. Post a suitablly
decodable email address and I'll send it,

(914UL from 1000 to 1200, 10 to 12 years, from S/N 4,418.104) (older
with some inspections)

George

Racing Airplane Questions..... Cessna140lb Home Built 12 March 16th 04 07:41 PM
Skyranger? sue sanchez Home Built 5 January 15th 04 10:24 PM
Any alternative to Europa XS? Shin Gou Home Built 7 December 15th 03 12:02 PM