Any plans-built "RV equivalents" out there?

Old March 5th 05, 06:32 PM
Netgeek

Default Any plans-built "RV equivalents" out there?

I've been searching quite a bit for something equivalent or similar to an
RV-9 but
available as a plans-built. So far - no luck (seems that Van has done too
good a
job 8-)...

Basic requirements are - well - same as an RV-9: Metal, 2-seat (not tandem),
power from O-200/O-235/IO-240/O-320 - minimum cruise around 150-175mph,
range approximately 500-600 NM+, very stable (non-aerobatic)

Anybody here know of such a thing - or is it time to write Van a check
8-)...?

Thanks for any input.
Bill

Old March 5th 05, 07:44 PM
Frank van der Hulst

Netgeek wrote:
I've been searching quite a bit for something equivalent or similar to an
RV-9 but
available as a plans-built.
Anybody here know of such a thing - or is it time to write Van a check
8-)...?

Is buying a set of plans off Vans no longer an option?

Frank
Old March 5th 05, 08:15 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Netgeek" wrote:

I've been searching quite a bit for something equivalent or similar to an
RV-9 but
available as a plans-built. So far - no luck (seems that Van has done too
good a
job 8-)...

Basic requirements are - well - same as an RV-9: Metal, 2-seat (not tandem),
power from O-200/O-235/IO-240/O-320 - minimum cruise around 150-175mph,
range approximately 500-600 NM+, very stable (non-aerobatic)

Anybody here know of such a thing - or is it time to write Van a check
8-)...?

Thanks for any input.
Bill

The Mustang II is still available.
Old March 5th 05, 08:27 PM
Netgeek

"Frank van der Hulst" wrote in message:
Is buying a set of plans off Vans no longer an option?

That would be the ideal. However, looking around their website I see
that the "Construction Plans" are offered at US$275. I assumed that
since they are really geared towards selling kits the plans describe the
"construction" and don't really provide the type of detail for individual
parts that would be required to "scratch build".

They have a sample section from the RV-8 plans for download to
review - and they sort of confirm my suspicion - i.e. they're meant to
describe putting the kit together - not for fabricating individual
components.

Perhaps someone on here who has a set of plans can comment as to
whether there's enough detail or not ?????

Old March 5th 05, 08:37 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Netgeek" wrote in message

"Frank van der Hulst" wrote in message:
Is buying a set of plans off Vans no longer an option?

That would be the ideal. However, looking around their website I see
that the "Construction Plans" are offered at US$275. I assumed that
since they are really geared towards selling kits the plans describe the
"construction" and don't really provide the type of detail for individual
parts that would be required to "scratch build".

They have a sample section from the RV-8 plans for download to
review - and they sort of confirm my suspicion - i.e. they're meant to
describe putting the kit together - not for fabricating individual
components.

Perhaps someone on here who has a set of plans can comment as to
whether there's enough detail or not ?????

My RV-6 was from a kit, but the plans were plenty adequate to scratch build.
Why don't you e-mail Van's and find out if their RV-9 plans are adequate for
scratch building if that's the airplane you want? Given the time and cost
of any airplane project, I'd spend the 30 seconds needed to e-mail Van's
before you give up on the airplane you want.

KB

Old March 5th 05, 09:01 PM
AINut

Look at the Mustang II, like we have. URL for the company he
http://www.mustangaero.com/

Kits or plans.

Old March 5th 05, 09:11 PM
alexy

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

"Netgeek" wrote in message

[...]

And as a next step, spend the ~$60 for "preview plans" which, as I
understand it, are complete plans, except reduced to fit 11x17 sheets
that are folded and put in a 3-ring binder, and they do not reflect
all of the latest changes in the actual plans. But should be enough
for you to see whether you'd want to build from the full set.

FWIW, the excerpt you saw on the vans page was from the construction
manual. There is an associated drawing (dwg 3) showing details. The
first few drawings are 3: Horizontal stab (that these instructions are
associated with), 4: elevator, 5: elev hinge parst and trim tab
details, 6: vert stab, 7: rudder, 8: Horiz and vert stab part
alignments and empennage rib fluting locations.

Old March 6th 05, 06:30 PM
Charlie

Frank van der Hulst wrote:
Netgeek wrote:

I've been searching quite a bit for something equivalent or similar to an
RV-9 but
available as a plans-built. Anybody here know of such a thing - or is
it time to write Van a check
8-)...?

Is buying a set of plans off Vans no longer an option?

Frank

The -3, -4 & -6 plans at one time included enough info to scratchbuild.
The plans for the newer planes have only assembly drawings & do not
include dimension info except for the very few parts that must be
fabricated.

If you can revise your cruise requirements downward slightly, you might
look at the Sonex.

Charlie
RV-4 flying
RV-7 wings

Old March 6th 05, 11:21 PM
John Oliveira

If you can afford it, write vans the check. You won't be sorry.

John Oliveira
N909RV reserved.
All flying surfaces done, working on Fuselage

Old March 7th 05, 09:19 PM

Basic requirements are - well - same as an RV-9: Metal, 2-seat (not
tandem), power from O-200/O-235/IO-240/O-320 - minimum cruise around
150-175mph, range approximately 500-600 NM+, very stable
(non-aerobatic)

Apart from the "Metal" requirement, you've described the Vision
plans-built. (It's composite.) See http://www.visionaircraft.com

Greg

want to trade 601 plans for 701 plans [email protected] Home Built 0 January 27th 05 07:50 PM
Unused plans question Doc Font Home Built 0 December 8th 04 09:16 PM
Modifying Vision plans for retractable gear... Chris Home Built 1 February 27th 04 09:23 PM
Plans Built Glider Jim Culp Soaring 6 September 8th 03 10:14 AM
Plans Built Glider? Eggs Soaring 3 September 6th 03 10:21 PM