plane to carry bikes?

Old January 4th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default plane to carry bikes?

DC-3,of course.
Go in style, David!

Richard

AINut wrote:

What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their
riders? Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be
one that mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

Thanks,
David M.

Old January 5th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

We flew to San Juan, P.R. this last spring. As we were taxiing to the
terminal, I counted at least 30 DC-3's at various places on the ramps.
Most of them looked to be actively in service. Thought we had gone
through a time warp. . .

Rich S.

Old January 6th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message

I went by Tradewinds (DC-3 yard in San Antonio) to see old man Ormand, and
was
surprised how much they have expanded
Literaly stacks of new shipping containers full of stuff.

Mebbe Douglas opened a new plant?? Damn! Now if somebody will just start
cranking out '57 Chebby convertibles. . .

Rich S.

Old January 6th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote

Mebbe Douglas opened a new plant?? Damn! Now if somebody will just start
cranking out '57 Chebby convertibles. . .

I wonder if someone was to invest in the tooling to put the DC-3 back into
production, how much demand there would be, and how much they would have to
charge per copy to break even?

Perhaps use a turboprop, but offer a radial, also.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 6th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Morgans" wrote)
I wonder if someone was to invest in the tooling to put the DC-3 back into
production, how much demand there would be, and how much they would have
to charge per copy to break even?

Perhaps use a turboprop, but offer a radial, also.

That would be fun - CubCrafter DC-3.

Twin Diesels. 50 gallon per hour (total) fuel burn ...um, not sure who makes
such an engine g. 200 mph cruise. Clean up the plane a little - lighten it
up a little. Glass cockpit.

http://www.baslerturbo.com/
DC-3 Turbo conversions

http://www.baslerturbo.com/performance.html
Performance numbers

I'll be seeing someone tonight who was a stewardess for NWA on DC-3's. She
said there were some routes where they were up and down 10-12-15 times into
small airports per flight. The procedure for flight attendants was to go
"up" to the front of the plane before each take-off and do their safety
talk. She said many times they did it from the rear door because they didn't
want to hump it "up" to the cockpit area for the umpteenth time, plus the
poor guy flying from Madison to Omaha had already heard it umpteen times.

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Air...Bushmaster.htm
Story under the pics. Bushmaster - no market. Two built.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10442
Dodge Challenge 'Spy' photo - maybe this idea will take off.

https://www.neodata.com/hfmus/cdri/
Picture of Dodge Challenge on the cover.

Montblack

Old January 6th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote in message

I'll be seeing someone tonight who was a stewardess for NWA on DC-3's. She
said there were some routes where they were up and down 10-12-15 times
into small airports per flight. The procedure for flight attendants was to
go "up" to the front of the plane before each take-off and do their safety
talk. She said many times they did it from the rear door because they
didn't want to hump it "up" to the cockpit area for the umpteenth time,
plus the poor guy flying from Madison to Omaha had already heard it
umpteen times.

My dad and I (10 years old) were weathered in at Medford, Oregon. Oh, we had
tried to get out in his Cessna 120, but after an hour of scud running were
fortunate enough to find Medford again and gratefully landed.

We were sitting in the combination FBO/terminal building office watching the
rain beat down on the tarmac outside the window. There was an inch or so of
water all across the ramp and the rain would make little geysers as it hit.
Overhead, the ceiling was all of 200' and drew a soggy line on the
surrounding hills.

Then we heard the pop-pop of a couple of radial engines coasting down to the
runway. A West Coast Airlines DC-3 appeared out of the clouds, seeming to
trail lines of gray as it split the center line of the runway. Taxiing up to
the terminal, the landing light highlighted the downpour. The pilot spun the
Douglas on one wheel as he hit the throttle on his side. The left engine
then spun to a stop and the "Airstair" door opened.

The copilot appeared at the opening as a ramp worker ran across to see what
had prompted the approach to minimums that day. The copilot, trying to stay
dry, kicked a crate of chickens out the door and swung it closed. The left
engine started up with a plume of blue smoke and no time was lost in taxiing
out and taking off to the North and a stop at Salem.

Iron men and aluminum airplanes. . .

Rich S.

Old January 7th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

And here is the single engine version of the Explorer sold in Canada. A
flying motor home.
http://www.exploreraero.com/flashed.html

Hope this helps

Jean-Paul

"AllThumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a link I found on Ron Wanttaja's page of links
http://www.coastcomp.com/av/fltline2/avion.htm

Old January 10th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

This is rec.aviation.homebuilt, dude.

A two-seat half scale Short Skyvan with Rotax 912's and electric
props?
You won't have standing headroom, but the bike should fit easy.

Roll the bike up the aft ramp into the cargo bay

Weigh the weight and balance so that the cargo bay is on the
center of lift and a bike doesn't create CG problems.

..