The Latest Sport Aviation has a WHAT on the cover?

Old February 28th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default The Latest Sport Aviation has a WHAT on the cover?

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"BobR" wrote in message

You are probably right as a total percentage of EAA Membership. The
EAA for some reason seems to draw a wide spectrum of pilots and as you
say, some non--pilots.

More importantly, (and often neglected) that group of "non-pilots" is
rich with future pilots.

Vaughn

The problem that I see is that any time you try to be something for
everybody you end up with something that is kind nothing for anyone. In my
electronics experience, any time I saw a "Universal" electronic gadget I
steered clear as it would be at least difficult and would contain a bunch of
stuff that I was not interested in. Same with the magazine. As
publisher/editor of Experimental Helo magazine we are very aware of this
trap and have focussed our efforts. We will not accept ads from Ford, John
Deere or any other group not specifically involved in helicopter related
activity. That includes the gyrocopters. Based on subscriber feed back, we
seem to be scratching a particular itch. With that said, we are not
forecasting immediate indoctrination into the Fortune 500.
It's too bad EAA can't see their way clear to have a magazine for the
Amateur builders like the War Birds, and Antique guys. I tried the
Experimenter and it didn't match up to Kitplanes either.
Stu Fields

Old February 28th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

"BobR" wrote in message

[...]

You hit on something with your final statement that has bothered me
since I joined EAA. There were several alternate publications in
addition to Sport Aviation but NONE were oriented to BUILDERS! That
is an oversight that has grown more evident since the SA publication
seems to be moving away from that theme. I did complain a long time
ago about their website not containing much for the homebuilder and
they did improve that substantially.

I will say that I have found something of interest to me in ever issue
of Sport Aviation and would not want to stop receiving it. I would
just love to see a magazine similar to Experimenter that was fully
oriented to builders. I would also add that I have always thought it
strange that the main area at Oshkosh seems dedicated to everthing
except building. You half to go to another area well away from the
main square to find the kit plane and builder oriented displays.
Old February 28th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .

The problem that I see is that any time you try to be something for everybody
you end up with something that is kind nothing for anyone. Same with the
magazine.

I don't put the EAA magazine in that category, and never have. It is a
magazine that seems pointed directly at the center of gravity of the EAA
membership. Judging from the volume of ad copy, the folks who really matter
(the advertisers) agree. For decades, it has been one of the first magazines
that I pick up every month. The only Aviation magazine that regularly beats it
(in terms of my personal interest) is "Air & Space". That said, I agree that it
is no airplane homebuilding magazine, and perhaps EAA needs to adjust its mix of
specialty publications.

As publisher/editor of Experimental Helo magazine we are very aware of this
trap and have focussed our efforts.

Which must be why EAA has a mix of 5 focused magazines in addition to "Sport
Aviation".

Vaughn

Old February 28th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote

I tried the Experimenter and it didn't match up to Kitplanes either.

***************************************
What do you think of the Kitplanes product of today, compared to 4 or 5
years ago?

I gave up my Kitplanes magazine about that long ago, because there was just
not enough quality content, IMHO.

If it had not been for "Jim Wierd's" (g) column, it would have been almost
empty, I thought.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 29th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote

I tried the Experimenter and it didn't match up to Kitplanes either.

***************************************
What do you think of the Kitplanes product of today, compared to 4 or 5
years ago?

I gave up my Kitplanes magazine about that long ago, because there was
just not enough quality content, IMHO.

If it had not been for "Jim Wierd's" (g) column, it would have been
almost empty, I thought.
--
Jim in NC

Well being an ex "Stuck Wing" pilot Kitplanes mainly keeps me up to date on
the experimental "Stuck Wing" world and occasionally has a good "Real"
aircraft article such as Ken Armstrong's PIREPS on helicopters. And I look
forward to Jim Weir's (d?) articles and have liberally pirated parts of his
designs and incorporated them in mine. When Sport Aviation comes in I scan
it, but it usually goes in the trash after one time thru it is rare, but
approx twice a year I find something I want to keep. I keep the Kitplanes
and have found several articles by Jim Weir that I copied and filed. We have
also used Kitplanes as a style guide for our magazine.
I'm a piddler though and have 250 hrs logged in my Baby Belle and about 80%
of those hours are testing some modification that I dreamed up.

Old February 29th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

I didn't mind the old Experimenter, but when the name and content
changed to Light Sport, they lost me...

Scott

"BobR" wrote in message

[...]

http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)
Old February 29th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Morgans wrote:
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote

I tried the Experimenter and it didn't match up to Kitplanes either.

***************************************
What do you think of the Kitplanes product of today, compared to 4 or 5
years ago?

I gave up my Kitplanes magazine about that long ago, because there was just
not enough quality content, IMHO.

If it had not been for "Jim Wierd's" (g) column, it would have been almost
empty, I thought.
--
Jim in NC

Jim,

I would have to agree with you regarding KitPlanes. It seems to be on
a long slide down as well. I used to really look forward to the
detail articles and the "Annual" review of the available kits and
plans. That "annual" has now morphed into three issues and dominate
25% of the issues. In so doing, they have reduced indepth content
significantly. All that said, I still enjoy reading it most of the
time and just renewed my subscription.
Old February 29th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

RST Engineering wrote:
I resemble that remark !!

Jim

I also look forward to your articles Jim but hesitated to say anything
for fear that your head would grow even bigger. BFG

Thanks for the help that you have given many of us builders.

BOB

Old February 29th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Reggie

I know, this is a quarterly topic for discussion, but I swear, EAA is
becoming AOPA. I guess it pays better or something. When was the
last warbird article in Sport Aviation? OK, how 'bout the last
restoration of an antique by the owner (not by someone who wrote a
bunch of checks).

Very disappointing.

Does anyone recall ANY experimental aeroplane built by the current
leader of the Experimental Aircraft Association????

Reggie