Dumb Canard Question.

Old October 7th 03, 09:19 PM
Big John

Steven

I heard many years ago that the nose on the ground put the cockpit
rail down where you could just step into the cockpit and then crank
the nose gear down to take off position.

Without this you would need some type of a boarding ladder to get in
and out of the cockpit.

Anyone support my memory?

Big John

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:44:24 -0700, "Steven Johansen"
wrote:

Why are many Canard designs (Cozy , Eze's etc)
parked with their noses resting on the ground?

Is it simply to reduce wear on the Nose gear or
for a more esoteric reason?

Cheers

Steven

Old October 7th 03, 10:31 PM
Orval Fairbairn

wrote:

Why are many Canard designs (Cozy , Eze's etc)
parked with their noses resting on the ground?

Is it simply to reduce wear on the Nose gear or
for a more esoteric reason?

IIRC, the Rutan canards are a bit tail heavy with ethe gear down and
nobody in them. They are stable with the NG retracted and nobody in them.
Old October 8th 03, 12:13 AM
Dave Hyde

Big John wrote:

I heard many years ago that the nose on the ground put the cockpit
rail down where you could just step into the cockpit and then crank
the nose gear down to take off position.

I've been in a Berkut where the owner did this (electrically
actuated gear) but I can't imagine doing it with manual EZ gear.
Of course I couldn't imagine doing it in the Berkut either, but
he insisted.

Dave 'kneel' Hyde

Old October 8th 03, 12:14 AM
Dave Hyde

Steven Johansen wrote:

Why are many Canard designs (Cozy , Eze's etc)
parked with their noses resting on the ground?

Because with the nose gear retracted there's
nothing to keep the nose up :-)

Dave 'MOTO' Hyde

Old October 8th 03, 02:08 AM
David O

Big John wrote:

Steven

I heard many years ago that the nose on the ground put the cockpit
rail down where you could just step into the cockpit and then crank
the nose gear down to take off position.

Without this you would need some type of a boarding ladder to get in
and out of the cockpit.

Anyone support my memory?

Big John

No ladder necessary for most folks. EZs have a step that facilitates
cockpit entry with the nose gear extended. It's sort of like mounting
a horse by putting your foot in the stirrup.

Here is a picture of my plane and the step,

http://www.airplanezone.com/Oshkosh/...SC00517bSM.JPG

Left foot on the step, left hand on the longeron, right leg up, over,
and in. As for rear seat passengers, entry is no problem for the
young and agile but sometimes problematic for older folks.

The nose down parking position is sometimes referred to as the
"grazing position", which is especially appropriate when parked on
grass.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old October 8th 03, 04:22 AM
Morgans

"David O" wrote
No ladder necessary for most folks. EZs have a step that facilitates
cockpit entry with the nose gear extended. It's sort of like mounting
a horse by putting your foot in the stirrup.

Here is a picture of my plane and the step,

http://www.airplanezone.com/Oshkosh/...SC00517bSM.JPG

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

So that's a step! All this time, I was thinking nose dragger - literally,
and those were handles to get the plane pointed the right way! vbg
--
Jim in NC

Old October 8th 03, 07:05 AM
David O

"Morgans" wrote:

So that's a step! All this time, I was thinking nose dragger - literally,
and those were handles to get the plane pointed the right way! vbg
--
Jim in NC

Glad to have cleared up *that* misconception!

Thanks for your nice comments over in r.a.p.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old October 8th 03, 09:04 AM
Robert Bonomi

wrote:

Why are many Canard designs (Cozy , Eze's etc)
parked with their noses resting on the ground?

Is it simply to reduce wear on the Nose gear or
for a more esoteric reason?

They are all pointed towards Mojave and bowing to worship Burt Rutan.

- J.O.-

AHA! When they're on the ground, they're Occident prone?

Old October 8th 03, 06:54 PM
Big John

David

Beautiful bird. You do good work G And take good pictures.

See the step but don't remember ever seeing on the original
plan/birds????? which I looked at years ago for possibility of
building. May have missed that minor detail.

The EZ had a carnard/rain problem. Is that fixed now or do you have to
fly around the problem?

Have seen lots of figures. What's your HONEST cruise at say 8K?

Have a nice day

Big John

Old October 9th 03, 12:07 AM
Model Flyer

"Big John" wrote in message
David

Beautiful bird. You do good work G And take good pictures.

See the step but don't remember ever seeing on the original
plan/birds????? which I looked at years ago for possibility of
building. May have missed that minor detail.

The EZ had a carnard/rain problem. Is that fixed now or do you have

fly around the problem?

Never mind the rain problem, friend who has one got a couple of
youngsters to wash his down, he spent the next hour moping out inside
the cockpit. They used a power washer to get rid of the shampoo and
wern't too careful where they directed the spray.
--

..
--

http://www.airplanezone.com/Oshkosh/...es/DSC00517bSM