SouthWings

Old January 25th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default SouthWings

I'm taking some conservationists up tomorrow for SouthWings to document
polluters and illegal loggers around the southern MS-LA border. Last year we
managed to convince Wal-Mart and Home Depot that the cypress mulch they were
selling came from illegal loggers and millers and they stopped buying it.
That shut the crooks down and saved hundreds of acres of irreplaceable mature
cypress, which is critical to wetlands preservation in the Atchafalaya Basin.

This is valuable work and fun, low altitude flying (and it's deductible, too).
SouthWings supports conservation efforts across the southeast U. S. Anyone in
interested in being a volunteer pilot for SouthWings may contact Caroline at
http://www.southwings.org/index2.html .

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 25th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

I'm taking some conservationists up tomorrow for SouthWings to
document polluters and illegal loggers around the southern MS-LA
border. Last year we managed to convince Wal-Mart and Home Depot that
the cypress mulch they were selling came from illegal loggers and
millers and they stopped buying it. That shut the crooks down and
saved hundreds of acres of irreplaceable mature cypress, which is
critical to wetlands preservation in the Atchafalaya Basin.

This is valuable work and fun, low altitude flying (and it's
deductible, too). SouthWings supports conservation efforts across the
southeast U. S. Anyone in interested in being a volunteer pilot for
SouthWings may contact Caroline at
http://www.southwings.org/index2.html .

Cool! well done!

Bertie
Old January 27th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

I'm taking some conservationists up tomorrow for SouthWings to
document polluters and illegal loggers around the southern MS-LA
border. Last year we managed to convince Wal-Mart and Home Depot that
the cypress mulch they were selling came from illegal loggers and
millers and they stopped buying it. That shut the crooks down and
saved hundreds of acres of irreplaceable mature cypress, which is
critical to wetlands preservation in the Atchafalaya Basin.

This is valuable work and fun, low altitude flying (and it's
deductible, too). SouthWings supports conservation efforts across the
southeast U. S. Anyone in interested in being a volunteer pilot for
SouthWings may contact Caroline at
http://www.southwings.org/index2.html .

Cool! well done!

Thx.

We caught some more yesterday, and my pax will sic the U. S. Army Corps of
Engineers on them Monday.

We also got photographic evidence on a chemical plant dumping pollution into
the Mississippi River. Too early to tell what the upshot of that will be, but
it most likely it will be unpleasant for the pricks making money by dumping
poison in the river.

It was a great trip, finished off with an ILS to minimums coming home this
afternoon. Perfect.

This is great flying and you meet some great people. SoutWings needs more
pilots, so, again, pilots in the SE U. S. may contact Caroline at
http://www.southwings.org/index2.html to get involved.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 27th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

[...]

Hmm, wonder if there's somethign similar in my area...

Bertie

Old January 27th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

John Smith wrote in news:jsmith-4363D6.23531326012008
@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

Back when I used to fly formation with some friends in L-birds, we would
meet early on Sunday mornings to brief. We would occassionally notice a
rising column of black smoke on the horizon. The fellow who owned the
airstrip told us it was one of the local companies. They always burned
things on the weekend because they knew the EPA had the weekends off.

You're kidding!

Wel, the only thing I ever did was I spotted a ship with a long slick
trailing. We went out and circled it ( I asked the pax to all observe so
they could be wintesses.) We told ATC and i believe they notified the Coast
Guard. I never found out.

Bertie
Old January 29th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

Back when I used to fly formation with some friends in L-birds, we would
meet early on Sunday mornings to brief. We would occassionally notice a
rising column of black smoke on the horizon. The fellow who owned the
airstrip told us it was one of the local companies. They always burned
things on the weekend because they knew the EPA had the weekends off.

You're kidding!

Wel, the only thing I ever did was I spotted a ship with a long slick
trailing. We went out and circled it ( I asked the pax to all observe so
they could be wintesses.) We told ATC and i believe they notified the Coast
Guard. I never found out.

I've been shocked to discover what a David vs. Goliath battle
environmentalists are fighting in the SE U. S.

There is ONE VOLUNTEER GUY in the lower Mississippi Delta area to monitor
polluters, illegal wetlands draining and illegal logging. The so-called
enforcement organizations of the U. S. gov't have pitiful resources to go
after violators. The EPA and the Corps of Engineers have NO aviation assets
at their command to cover hundreds of thousands of square miles. It's a joke.
It really makes me want to puke when I hear the rightards whining about
"restrictive environmental regulations." Bull****.

--
Dan

"Shut up! Shut up!"
- Bill O'Reilly

Old January 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

[...]

Well, many regulatory bodies have been systematically disassembled by
the government in the last 20 years. The democrats have been almost as
bad, BTW.
Often it's done under the flag of "getting big governemtn out of our
hair" The meat packing industry is one who's story is particularly
appaling, but it's one of hundreds, of course.

Bertie
Old January 29th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Jan 28, 8:53*pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

I've been shocked to discover what a David vs. Goliath battle
environmentalists are fighting in the SE U. S.

There is ONE VOLUNTEER GUY in the lower Mississippi Delta area to monitor
polluters, illegal wetlands draining and illegal logging. *The so-called

Dan,
I'm shocked too. I just wish that there were more environmental
volunteer flight organizations for pilots to join. I checked out
LightHawk's requirements few years ago and they wanted a minimum of
1000hrs. I am now at only 750hrs so it will take me at least two more
years to qualify. I visited Southwings website yesterday and was very
impressed. It's too bad that there is no similar organization in the
Northeast.
Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Hai Longworth
Old January 30th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Longworth" wrote:

I visited Southwings website yesterday and was very
impressed. It's too bad that there is no similar
organization in the Northeast.

Give Caroline a shout anyway. She might know of something up your way.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, but I'm no hero. It's a lot of fun for a pilot.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 30th 08, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in news:13pvs5fdqaff14
@news.supernews.com:

"Longworth" wrote:

I visited Southwings website yesterday and was very
impressed. It's too bad that there is no similar
organization in the Northeast.

Give Caroline a shout anyway. She might know of something up your way.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, but I'm no hero. It's a lot of fun for a pilot.

Perhaps some education for interested pilots might be a good way to augment
this program. Lots of airplanes crisscrossing the sky at any time and just
about anyone would be interested in not seeing his back yard turned into
Love Canal. Some flyers with some general info on what to look for would
probably pay dividends.

Bertie