Orienting the Approach.

Old June 1st 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default Orienting the Approach.

In article , betwys1
@sbcglobal.net says...

Dave Doe wrote:
/snip/
On transfer from a Class C approach controller to a Class D tower
facility under the umbrella, I got the following direction yesterday
when flying in from the west:

"Fly a right downwind to runway 17L , clear to land."

Got the picture?
What is the first turn direction?
On which runway do you turn final from base?

:-)

Brian W

&&&
Sounds like you'd turn left onto the downwind, turn right base and fly
past 17R to turn final and land on 17L.

Sounds good to me.

Well, that's what I did, and there was no problem.
In fact the FAA recommended join is 45 degrees to the downwind leg, so a
left turn onto downwind was no issue.
Flying a right pattern across a parallel runway would only happen when
both runways are not in use, obviously.

Not at all. It's up to the controllers surely (I assume we're talking
about a towered/controlled field!?!?)

--
Duncan.
Old June 1st 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

brian whatcott wrote:

Flying a right pattern across a parallel runway would only happen
when both runways are not in use, obviously.

Obviously? Isn't the one you're making the approach to in use?

Old June 1st 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

I have received almost identical instructions when approaching Centennial,
CO (KAPA) from the west. Centennial has runways 17R and 17L and both were in
use when I was cleared to land on 17L.

Old June 2nd 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Dave Doe wrote:
In article , betwys1
@sbcglobal.net says...
Dave Doe wrote:
[...]

This was the situation on Sunday at Wiley Post,(PWA) at Oklahoma City.

I would expect Oke City Approach (at Will Rogers) to vector traffic
appropriately, if PWA 17L & R were both active. But it's the
controllers' call, no doubt!

Brian W
Old June 2nd 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
brian whatcott wrote:
Flying a right pattern across a parallel runway would only happen
when both runways are not in use, obviously.

Obviously? Isn't the one you're making the approach to in use?

Yes indeed, the clearance was to 17L PWA from the west.
17R a shorter runway there, was not in use.

Brian W
Old June 2nd 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

I would sympathize with a green pilot on his first approach across
finals of an active approach!

Regards

Brian W

Old June 2nd 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Edward A. Falk" wrote

That's what I'm thinking, but I'd definitely ask them to confirm they
want me to cross the 17R approach.

Why? The instructions were clear, there was only one way to fly that
approach, so the controller knew he would be crossing the approach path for
17R.

This isn't at all related to taxi instructions. Take a quick look up the
glide slope as you approach it, then do what "the man" says.
--
Jim in NC