Install a Garmin GNS430 or an "Apollo" GNS480 ?

Old October 19th 04, 11:58 PM
Roy Page

Default Install a Garmin GNS430 or an "Apollo" GNS480 ?

I was all ready to install a GNS 430 but now feeling that a GNS 480 may be a
better option.
Although more expensive, I am getting the impression that the GNS 480 has
significant advantages.
It seems that UPS stole a lead on Garmin with their WAAS approved unit.
Now with Garmin owning the brand and the UPS unit being budged as the Garmin
AT GNS 480 I am not sure which unit to install.
Will Garmin upgrade the 430's display and software to give it WAAS
capability or will they just upgrade the GNS 530 and leave the 430 a poor
relation ??
Over to the group to help me decide - Install a 430 or 480 ?

Roy Page [N5804F Archer II]
Beloit Ohio 44609

Old October 20th 04, 02:08 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:58:35 GMT, "Roy Page" wrote:

I was all ready to install a GNS 430 but now feeling that a GNS 480 may be a
better option.
Although more expensive, I am getting the impression that the GNS 480 has
significant advantages.
It seems that UPS stole a lead on Garmin with their WAAS approved unit.
Now with Garmin owning the brand and the UPS unit being budged as the Garmin
AT GNS 480 I am not sure which unit to install.
Will Garmin upgrade the 430's display and software to give it WAAS
capability or will they just upgrade the GNS 530 and leave the 430 a poor
relation ??
Over to the group to help me decide - Install a 430 or 480 ?

Roy Page [N5804F Archer II]
Beloit Ohio 44609

I made the choice last year to install (what is now) the 480.

It is WAAS enabled NOW. Version 2.0 of the software was just released which
gives it vertical guidance. And it has airways in the data base which can
be entered into the flight plan.

The price difference was not a factor for me, though.

Old October 20th 04, 02:56 AM
Roy Page

Thanks Ron, I appreciate your input, did not know about the database having
Victor airways, that is very useful when ATC change your clearance.
Roy

Old October 20th 04, 03:20 AM
Javier Henderson

Did they add terrain boundaries to the GNS480/CNX80 yet?

Can the GNS480/CNX80 display mode S traffic?

Can the GNS480/CNX80 display Ryan/TCAD traffic?

As for the victor airways, it's in the "nice to have" category, but
not much of a deciding factor for me. I've had a GNS430 for four
years, and got used to entering some defining waypoint for the airway
that ATC wants me on.

To each his own, of course, it's good to have choices. I just thought
I'd add a few questions.

-jav

Old October 20th 04, 04:15 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 19 Oct 2004 19:20:15 -0700, Javier Henderson wrote:

Did they add terrain boundaries to the GNS480/CNX80 yet?

Not to my knowledge. Nor am I aware of any plans to do so. But you can
read altitude -- either GPS or encoding altimeter derived -- along with the
MSA for your location.

Can the GNS480/CNX80 display mode S traffic?

You can display traffic using either the TIS functionality or interface
with the 3COM Sky watch system.

Can the GNS480/CNX80 display Ryan/TCAD traffic?

Don't know

As for the victor airways, it's in the "nice to have" category, but
not much of a deciding factor for me. I've had a GNS430 for four
years, and got used to entering some defining waypoint for the airway
that ATC wants me on.

Here in the NE, with frequent and complicated routing changes, it becomes
"very" nice to have.

Old October 20th 04, 04:17 AM
Mike Adams

"Roy Page" wrote:

Over to the group to help me decide - Install a 430 or 480 ?

There have been several discussions on this recently. Check Google. The bottom line as I recall, is that
the 480 is viewed as more advanced and better suited to serious IFR work. It's more like a big-iron FMS
in its user interface, and quite a different flight planning concept than the 430. It also has airways, WAAS,
and a bit larger display. The 430 on the other hand benefits from the large installed user base (Garmin
can't abandon it), and a somewhat easier to use interface, especially for casual (occasional IFR plus
VFR "airport finding") use. The 480 is also about $3K more expensive. I haven't kept up on all the traffic
and weather display options, but the 430 is fairly well understood in this area. The 480 may depend on
the MX-20 MFD for some of this.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old October 20th 04, 12:54 PM
Al Marzo

Roy;
Get the newest and best you can afford. Garmin has a long history of
abandoning its older line and I'll suspect that's what will happen to
the 430. First, they'll upgrade the unit for about as much money as
the 480, then they'll just stop doing it. Secondly, all the rich guys
;-) will be taking their 430's out for the 480's and ebay will be
flooded with them. Then JA Air will be offering "factory
reconditioned" 430's which are really old factory stock to move them
out.

As I've stated before, the worst thing that could have happened was
that Garmin would be allowed to buy their competition.

Old October 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Roy Page

Al,
I have to say I think you may be entirely correct.
For sure Garmin should not have been allowed to buy out their main
competitor.
And, I think the 480 interface is more in line with the regular 'IFR system'

The reason I asked for help in deciding was based on the cost issue.
If the 480 was a few percent higher in cost that the 430 I would have no
doubts.

However, another factor has emerged by the responses to this posting.
My Archer has the factory installed King stack, KMA20, KX170B, KX170B and
Transponder.
Like many before me I am intending to take out the #1 KX170B and KI214 and
move them down to the #2 position.
A 430 sits nicely in the hole left in the #1 position, but the 480 is deeper
and will need the transponder moved.

Next year, if I am not bankrupt, I hope to fit a MX170B and a new audio
panel
My existing avionic stack looks dated, but all the stuff is in excellent
condition and is very well positioned.
I can't afford to upgrade all the gear in one go, but don't want to finish
up with an untidy and hard to work stack.

Roy

Old October 20th 04, 03:23 PM
Mike Rapoport

UPS was not Garmin's "main competitor". UPS had insignificant revenue,
didn't make money and really had to sell. Everybody complains about the
"loss of competition" but very few were buying UPS's products. The choice
was being aquired or disappearing.

Mike
MU-2

ink.net...

Old October 20th 04, 04:23 PM
Marco Leon

As a point of reference, I asked a Garmin rep yesterday as to their plans
for WAAS and terrain for the 430. They expect to offer the terrain
(non-TAWS) in about 8 weeks time at a price of $500. They need to make a
physical change to the unit (a new map board) and upgrade the software.
Garmin wants to first make sure they can deliver the TAWS upgrades to the
530 to meet compliance dates. As for WAAS, they are targeting 1st quarter of
next year at a price of $1,500. This will require a processor change and
software upgrade. I don't remember him mentioning any other hardware
changes.

So to get WAAS and terrain, the 430 becomes comparable to the 480 in price
($1,000 difference). What the 480 will lack in terrain and VFR mapping
features, it kinda makes up for in victor airways and a slightly larger
screen. My own opinion is that the user interface is not as intuitive as the
430 and it doesn't fit the user-friendly strategy that Garmin has
captialized on. I bet the engineers are working on an upgraded UI for the
430 and 530 that will include the handful of benefits the 480 offers. Think
about it, if the 430/530 had victor airways and once it's upgraded to WAAS,
what does the 480 have over the 430/530? IMHO, I think the 480 is more in
danger of being nixed than the 430.

Marco Leon
N36616

nk.net...