New world speed record: 534 km/h!

Old September 22nd 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New world speed record: 534 km/h!

In a 1-26 no less!

It's gotta be true: it's on OLC and it's not even red flagged.

Now how many FARs does that violate?

Old September 22nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_1_]

Hooray for the crappy gliders! Lets see the fiberglass beat THAT!

Old September 22nd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
In a 1-26 no less!

It's gotta be true: it's on OLC and it's not even red flagged.

Now how many FARs does that violate?

What is the date of that flight?

Jacek

Old September 22nd 06, 07:11 PM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
In a 1-26 no less!

Ha. Let's see Fossett break that one.
Old September 22nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

By the way, the olc is full of incorrect scoring. I've seen:
- motorglider flights, where the engine was used multiple times, get
scored for the whole distance.
- landouts where the logger was not turned off thus olc included the
aero retreive in the scorring distance.
- flights which cut significantly short as a result of noise comming
from an opened window.
- same flights posted twice the same day or in consecutive days, etc...

Since it is so complicated and confusing to try to make any corrections
on olc, many pilots just leave it as is.

Ramy

wrote:
It's been "corrected" now. No fun.

Old September 22nd 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_6_]

Ramy wrote:

Since it is so complicated and confusing to try to make any corrections
on olc, many pilots just leave it as is.

I agree 100%. The inability of OLC to accept corrections when the OLC
system posts information not even closely related to what was flown is a
major weakness. I have experienced several examples in each OLC season
of what you have described.

The OLC is relatively unresponsive, and the USA OLC too uncertain as a
result. I suspect Doug has his hands full trying to present a system
which may seem sensible to its builders and decision makers but has
become increasingly unsatisfactory to its North American users.

I suggest we cut Haluza some slack, 'cause the problem is not on this
continent.

Jack
Old September 23rd 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lucky_day

What a giggle. When I posted this flight I spent a bunch of time trying
to figure out what went wrong. I even tried to download it with
different programs but that didn't work for me either. The only
flight that OLC would accept was the one with the error. Apparently
there was only one point that was wrong at the start but I couldn't
(or didn't know how) to edit it without getting even MORE errors from
the OLC. It got late at night so I gave up and decided to send the OLC
folk an email the next day after I got some sleep. I know Blairstown NJ
is known for some fantastic ridge flights but no one would take a 534
km/h 1-26 flight seriously anyway. By the time I got back to it I saw
that it had magically been fixed. Now that is a *responsive* OLC team!

-Jim H

V Speeds [email protected] Piloting 22 March 16th 06 10:20 PM
World Record Glider Tow! Robs-Birds Soaring 3 November 18th 04 06:16 PM
IGC Bureau announcement - Review of World Record procedures and of legacy types of GNSS Recorders Ian Strachan Soaring 0 August 29th 04 07:33 PM
Germany Lost the War... So What? robert arndt Military Aviation 55 February 26th 04 09:51 AM
Two Years of War Stop Spam! Military Aviation 3 October 9th 03 11:05 AM