What's Wrong With OLC?

Old April 27th 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default What's Wrong With OLC?

My flight on April 25 comes back with a zero score and I can't see why.Â*
I have two recorders on board and got the same results with both.Â* I
uploaded the igc file to Skylines.aero and the flight was instantly scored.

I use OLC to support the local club, of which I'm not a member.Â* I use
Skylines because it's quicker, has a much better interface, allows me to
select my desired units, and has no advertising.Â* And, since my logbooks
have been kept in imperial units (flame suit on) for 45 years, I don't
want to mess with metric conversions to maintain my logs.Â* Maybe
everyone should switch to Skylines.aero https://skylines.aero...

OBTW, my OLC claim showed the same ground track as Skylines.aero, just
no points.
--
Dan, 5J

Old April 27th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

OLC is the de facto tool, the only place where you can see most XC flights, at least in the US.
But if you want an excellent electronic logbook and advanced interface and online analysis tool, try crosscountry.aero.
I’ve been using it for the last 5+ years as my only logbook.

Ramy

Old May 16th 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Following someone's advice, I uploaded a flight recorded on my wife's
Streak/XCSoar.Â* It loaded perfectly so I guess the problem is either
with my ClearNav computer AND the ClearNav XC vario or with their
antennae whose cables I cut to length.Â* Today in installed new antennae
and was surprised at how quickly the GPSs locked on.Â* Maybe I'll get to
fly tomorrow and see if that was the fix.

On 4/27/2019 8:57 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
My flight on April 25 comes back with a zero score and I can't see
why.Â* I have two recorders on board and got the same results with
both.Â* I uploaded the igc file to Skylines.aero and the flight was
instantly scored.

I use OLC to support the local club, of which I'm not a member.Â* I use
Skylines because it's quicker, has a much better interface, allows me
to select my desired units, and has no advertising. And, since my

Old May 17th 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Looks like IGCDroid may actually be usable for recording motorglider
flights on OLC. Haven't flown with it yet, but a test drive was
accepted by OLC as a motorglider. Just make sure it has permission to
record audio.

Dave

Old May 17th 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It shouldn't come to that, but thanks.Â* ClearNav people are looking at
the problem.

Someone pointed out the odd time display on my recent flights.Â* The same
flight recorded on a streak (and uploaded using a non-motor glider)
loaded perfectly so I think the problem is somewhere within the ClearNav
system.Â* Both the computer and the vario show the same anomaly.Â* Maybe
I'll get to fly with the new antennae today...

On 5/16/2019 7:11 PM, kinsell wrote:
Looks like IGCDroid may actually be usable for recording motorglider
flights on OLC.Â* Haven't flown with it yet, but a test drive was
accepted by OLC as a motorglider.Â* Just make sure it has permission to
record audio.

Dave
antennae whose cables I cut to length. Today in installed new
antennae and was surprised at how quickly the GPSs locked on.Â* Maybe
I'll get to fly tomorrow and see if that was the fix.

On 4/27/2019 8:57 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
My flight on April 25 comes back with a zero score and I can't see
why.Â* I have two recorders on board and got the same results with
both.Â* I uploaded the igc file to Skylines.aero and the flight was
instantly scored.

I use OLC to support the local club, of which I'm not a member.Â* I
use Skylines because it's quicker, has a much better interface,
allows me to select my desired units, and has no advertising. And,

Old May 17th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 10:57:54 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
My flight on April 25 comes back with a zero score and I can't see
why.Â* I have two recorders on board and got the same results with
both.Â* I uploaded the igc file to Skylines.aero and the flight was
instantly scored.

I use OLC to support the local club, of which I'm not a member.Â* I
use Skylines because it's quicker, has a much better interface,
allows me to select my desired units, and has no advertising.Â* And,
since my logbooks have been kept in imperial units (flame suit on)
for 45 years, I don't want to mess with metric conversions to
maintain my logs.Â* Maybe everyone should switch to Skylines.aero....

OBTW, my OLC claim showed the same ground track as Skylines.aero,
just no points.

--

Dan, 5J

I looked up your flight on OLC and d/l'ed the igc file. The file shows up in SeeYou as invalid, which most likely means it was corrupted sometime after you d/l'ed from your flight recorder. Guessing the offending bit is a B record with a corrupted time. Try d/l'ing again and see if you get a valid result in SeeYou.

best,
Evan Ludeman
Old May 17th 19, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks Evan, but I don't have SeeYou.Â* Watch this be something really
stupid like my two separate USB sticks (one for each device) have given
up the ghost in the same manner.Â* I can also try a different USB stick
next time I fly.

Old May 17th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Could be a bad stick......
I am from the age of, "Whoa.....a 30mb USB stick.....you know how many 3.5" floppies this replaces!!!!"
First field job.....user PC was Windows NT.....no Frikkin USB support.........sigh........

Today, big USB sticks are like cheap butane lighters......the stick is cheap (make sure to format in correct OS/software) so when not sure, recycle and buy new......
Old May 17th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

LOL...Â* I predate Windows; PCs and Apples, in fact.

I have separate sticks for each device.Â* It's hard to imagine that both
would fail in the same manner.

As soon as I get a chance to fly again, I'll try three different
sticks.Â* Winds are currently around 20G30 kts.Â* I don't mind landing in
that, but I see no need to take off until things settle down. Ah...Â*
Spring time in Moriarty...

On 5/17/2019 10:47 AM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Could be a bad stick......
I am from the age of, "Whoa.....a 30mb USB stick.....you know how many 3.5" floppies this replaces!!!!"
First field job.....user PC was Windows NT.....no Frikkin USB support.........sigh........

Today, big USB sticks are like cheap butane lighters......the stick is cheap (make sure to format in correct OS/software) so when not sure, recycle and buy new......

--
Dan, 5J

Pearl Harbor in Art - 14 - wrong place wrong time.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 December 7th 17 01:23 PM
What Is Wrong With OLC? Dan Marotta Soaring 49 February 2nd 17 02:54 AM
What Is Wrong With OLC? Dan Marotta Soaring 5 June 15th 16 03:05 AM
what went wrong Dick[_1_] Home Built 14 August 10th 07 03:48 AM
what am I doing wrong gt[_2_] Aviation Photos 8 June 4th 07 01:49 AM