Garmin GPS Questions

Old January 17th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Garmin GPS Questions

I left my older 12XL with new friends in Uganda and am looking for a
replacement. I've been looking at the 60csx but now that they have
been discontinued and at least 8 year old design, does anyone here
have recommendations for a replacement? I've also been looking at the
Colorado 400T as a possible.
I'm not crazy about a bunch of whistles and bells/games/camera/ etc. I
want a solid GPS that I can use at home as well as in the bush and in
foreign climes. I do a lot of international travel and that GPS gives
me a warm fuzzy feeling just like my Steri-Pen water purifier.
The unit will be used equally in the air in GenAv and helicopters as
much as land nav. I've been trying to find groups discussions on GPS
but not much luck with what I'm looking for.
Thanks for any insights.
Ol S&B
Old January 18th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Rathmann

On Jan 17, 3:58*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
I left my older 12XL with new friends in Uganda and am looking for a
replacement.

alt.satellite.gps.garmin and sci.geo.satellite-nav would be two
newsgroups to try.

Despite its age, I'd still be inclined to suggest the 60csx or 60cx
(or the equivalent 76 models) over the current models - especially if
you find one at a good price. I prefer the separate buttons over the
touchscreen versions and also like some of the tracklog features of
the older 60/76 c/s/x models.
Old January 18th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:58:38 -0800 (PST), Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

I left my older 12XL with new friends in Uganda and am looking for a
replacement. I've been looking at the 60csx but now that they have
been discontinued and at least 8 year old design, does anyone here
have recommendations for a replacement? I've also been looking at the
Colorado 400T as a possible.
I'm not crazy about a bunch of whistles and bells/games/camera/ etc. I
want a solid GPS that I can use at home as well as in the bush and in
foreign climes. I do a lot of international travel and that GPS gives
me a warm fuzzy feeling just like my Steri-Pen water purifier.
The unit will be used equally in the air in GenAv and helicopters as
much as land nav. I've been trying to find groups discussions on GPS
but not much luck with what I'm looking for.
Thanks for any insights.
Ol S&B

I'm gay /and/ bipolar
--
Mark inventor/artist/pilot/guitarist/scientist/philosopher/
scratch golfer/cat wrangler and observer of the mundane.

Old January 18th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
I left my older 12XL with new friends in Uganda and am looking for a
replacement. I've been looking at the 60csx but now that they have
been discontinued and at least 8 year old design, does anyone here
have recommendations for a replacement? I've also been looking at the
Colorado 400T as a possible.
I'm not crazy about a bunch of whistles and bells/games/camera/ etc. I
want a solid GPS that I can use at home as well as in the bush and in
foreign climes. I do a lot of international travel and that GPS gives
me a warm fuzzy feeling just like my Steri-Pen water purifier.
The unit will be used equally in the air in GenAv and helicopters as
much as land nav. I've been trying to find groups discussions on GPS
but not much luck with what I'm looking for.
Thanks for any insights.
Ol S&B

Not sure that my note will be relevant to your question.
I recently bought a C-150, and was taken with the idea of
a HSI/ADI look alike (i.e a device that would show heading, desired
track to destination, cross track error, ETE and some feel for
orientation like a horizon - driven from turn rate)

I consulted the folks on rec.aviation.soaring who are early adopters
and found that a PDA with a GPS "mouse" i.e. a GPS antenna/processor
that emits NMEA codes for the usual GPS outputs, to plug into a USB
connector was the usual configuration, when loaded with the appropriate
application.
During the course of this development, I received a note from someone
who purchased a Garmin purpose built PDA with a built in GPS antenna and
processor, such as the one I bought: an iQue M5.

He found the display was small and hard to see in sunlight, and he
preferred a Garmin 95.

I found much the same - I can use a Garmin 90 much more easily with its
even smaller display - the bold black and white display gives me the
cues I need to get to a target airfield reliably - I use an amplified
antenna with it, so I can optimise both the antenna and the display
position.

It is nice to see the ADI display on the Garmin Q5 when I can see it....

What I value above all is an accessible list of any and every airfield
that I would want to visit, selectable with lat/lon and luxury details
like frequencies, is nice to have too.

Brian W
Old January 18th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:35:53 -0800 (PST), William Hung wrote:

testicles

put them in my mouth.
Old January 24th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague[_2_]

wrote:

I left my older 12XL with new friends in Uganda and am looking for a
replacement. I've been looking at the 60csx but now that they have
been discontinued and at least 8 year old design, does anyone here
have recommendations for a replacement? I've also been looking at the
Colorado 400T as a possible...

I bought a 60CSx about a year ago, and really like it. I use it both
for flying (with a U.S. airport database converted by a program I
wrote and airspace from somebody else). I also use it in the car, and
in the woods... if it was only for flying I'd have chosen the 76CSx,
but I prefer the shape of the 60 when holding it in my hand in the
woods.

I hadn't heard that the 60 is discontinued.

There's also the 96, which is the aviation version of the 76.

I don't like touchscreens for trail use; my experience with industrial
touchscreens makes me distrust their durability.

-Dana
--
What does this red button do?