B747 Loses All 4 Generators Due To Clogged Sink In 1st Class Galley

Old January 14th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default B747 Loses All 4 Generators Due To Clogged Sink In 1st Class Galley

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Yipes! Braver man than me. A friend is just finishing a Sonerai. It
has a mag and electronic ignition. Bertie like.

Bertie
The Corvair conversion uses single plug per cylinder and dual and
separate ignition system. Originally it was two points based
ignitions now it is one electronic and one points.

If you're interested look at http://www.flycorvair.com/

Ah, OK, I've seen your site a few times. I helped a friend build a
corvair powered Piet a looong time ago. He eventaully did finish it
BTW. He had a bunch of Corvairs for a while. his daily drive was a
beat up old 1961 Monza. It did go! We found an abandoned blower
engined one and pulled the engine out of it, planning to put it on
the airplane, bu tit would up on the Monza. I remember the bearings
for the blower cost more than all the other parts for the rebuild
combined. I even raced it once. He was under age and I wasnt when we
showed up ( timed event) so I got to drive. It was quick though it
was still a four carb engine then! Weird oversteer... AFAIK he flew
the Piet with a two carb setup and it went well, but I never got to
see it flying.. nice little engine. I would have thought it was too
heavy for your airplane though?

Bertie

As far as weight goes it is just about the same installed weight as an
O-200 (which is what the factory built LSA 601XL uses)and that six
cylinder runs like an electric motor compared to a Lyc or Cont. 4
cylinder.

Well it would!

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

William Wynne has come up with some modifications since the Piets used
the engine that have reduced weight somewhat. For one at least some of
the Peits kept the factory colling fan. It's not there in the 601XL
install.

Mmm, I remember seeing them at OSH like that. I think my friend was
going for cub type eyebrows.

Old January 14th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

The Rotax, Jabiru and O-200 were all FWF options that the factory
directly supported. They now list the William Wynne Corvair conversion
on their website and have had his plane at their booth at the last two
OSH and SnF shows.

In fact a guy recently had the DAR inspect his Corvair powered 601XL for
an E-LSA certificate and was given only a 5 hour phase I test period
because he felt that it was one of the engines that the factory suggested.
Old January 14th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

The Rotax, Jabiru and O-200 were all FWF options that the factory
directly supported. They now list the William Wynne Corvair conversion
on their website and have had his plane at their booth at the last two
OSH and SnF shows.

In fact a guy recently had the DAR inspect his Corvair powered 601XL
for an E-LSA certificate and was given only a 5 hour phase I test
period because he felt that it was one of the engines that the factory
suggested.

Wow! 5 hours for a car engine? That's amazing!

Bertie
Old January 14th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

The Rotax, Jabiru and O-200 were all FWF options that the factory
directly supported. They now list the William Wynne Corvair conversion
on their website and have had his plane at their booth at the last two
OSH and SnF shows.

In fact a guy recently had the DAR inspect his Corvair powered 601XL
for an E-LSA certificate and was given only a 5 hour phase I test
period because he felt that it was one of the engines that the factory
suggested.

Wow! 5 hours for a car engine? That's amazing!

I thought it was a little low myself.
Old January 14th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

The Rotax, Jabiru and O-200 were all FWF options that the factory
directly supported. They now list the William Wynne Corvair conversion
on their website and have had his plane at their booth at the last two
OSH and SnF shows.

In fact a guy recently had the DAR inspect his Corvair powered 601XL
for an E-LSA certificate and was given only a 5 hour phase I test
period because he felt that it was one of the engines that the factory
suggested.

Wow! 5 hours for a car engine? That's amazing!

I thought it was a little low myself.

That's 5 extra on top of th e25 hour fly of, or just five hours for an
engine type change?

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

The Rotax, Jabiru and O-200 were all FWF options that the factory
directly supported. They now list the William Wynne Corvair conversion
on their website and have had his plane at their booth at the last two
OSH and SnF shows.

In fact a guy recently had the DAR inspect his Corvair powered 601XL
for an E-LSA certificate and was given only a 5 hour phase I test
period because he felt that it was one of the engines that the factory
suggested.

Wow! 5 hours for a car engine? That's amazing!

I thought it was a little low myself.

That's 5 extra on top of th e25 hour fly of, or just five hours for an
engine type change?

Bertie

5 Hours total new airplane, new engine.

It is a temporary glitch in the E-LSA rules. Under the rules as they
will stand after Jan. 31 of this month an E-LSA can only be a kit built
version of a "certified" S-LSA with no significant changes. The 51% rule
doesn't apply.

In order to get the heavy ULs under the new rules there has been a
temporary period where those craft could be grandfathered in under the
E-LSA rules even though they don't necessarily meet the E-LSA rules for
matching a certified LSA.
Old January 15th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thought the 601 was a rotax/jabiru type of machine.

The Rotax, Jabiru and O-200 were all FWF options that the factory
directly supported. They now list the William Wynne Corvair
conversion on their website and have had his plane at their booth
at the last two OSH and SnF shows.

In fact a guy recently had the DAR inspect his Corvair powered
601XL for an E-LSA certificate and was given only a 5 hour phase I
test period because he felt that it was one of the engines that
the factory suggested.

Wow! 5 hours for a car engine? That's amazing!

I thought it was a little low myself.

That's 5 extra on top of th e25 hour fly of, or just five hours for
an engine type change?

Bertie

5 Hours total new airplane, new engine.

Yipes!

It is a temporary glitch in the E-LSA rules. Under the rules as they
will stand after Jan. 31 of this month an E-LSA can only be a kit
built version of a "certified" S-LSA with no significant changes. The
51% rule doesn't apply.

In order to get the heavy ULs under the new rules there has been a
temporary period where those craft could be grandfathered in under the
E-LSA rules even though they don't necessarily meet the E-LSA rules
for matching a certified LSA.

mmm, OK. That'd make your airplane a bit more valuable, I would think.

I've seen a lot of KRs and Sonerais with Corvairs, that cant be such a
good idea, eh? They prolly either need a fuse extension or a buttload of
lead to make the fly at all.

Bertie
Old January 15th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

mmm, OK. That'd make your airplane a bit more valuable, I would think.

If you mean more valuable as a E-LSA sure. If I could get it finished
before the end of this month. Which ain't gonna happen.

I've seen a lot of KRs and Sonerais with Corvairs, that cant be such a
good idea, eh? They prolly either need a fuse extension or a buttload of
lead to make the fly at all.

Bertie

I've flown in one KR2 (here it is http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/) and
seen several others with Corvairs and they are quick. I'm talking
180MPH. I didn't notice any lead and though the one I was in was wider

than normal.
Old January 15th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

mmm, OK. That'd make your airplane a bit more valuable, I would
think.

If you mean more valuable as a E-LSA sure. If I could get it finished
before the end of this month. Which ain't gonna happen.

I've seen a lot of KRs and Sonerais with Corvairs, that cant be such
a good idea, eh? They prolly either need a fuse extension or a
buttload of lead to make the fly at all.

Bertie

I've flown in one KR2 (here it is http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/)
and seen several others with Corvairs and they are quick. I'm talking
180MPH. I didn't notice any lead and though the one I was in was
wider

than normal.

He must have made t it at least a bit longer to compensate for the
significantly heavier engine, though.

Bertie