Jet two seat self-launcher nearing completion

Old April 14th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
airshowbob

Default Jet two seat self-launcher nearing completion

The TST-14 BonusJet is nearing completion. We ran the TJ-100 engine on
the airframe for the first time last Sunday. Everything is working
perfectly, and the tail temperatures were well below limits.

All that remains is some tidying up of the wiring, and installation of
the wing fuel bladders. I'll be in airshow mode for the next couple
of weeks, so these tasks will have to wait a bit. We're expecting the
first flight in May.

I have posted a progress page to show the development of the BonusJet
over the last year. Click on the dates to see photos and videos of
the project.

http://www.desertaerospace.com/bonusjet_progress.html

If you want to jump straight to the engine test video (April 12,
2010), it is located he

http://www.desertaerospace.com/bonusjet_2010_04_12.html

If you're interested in a jet glider checkout, give me a call or e-
mail...

Bob Carlton
Desert Aerospace, LLC
Albuquerque, NM USA
505-239-5967

Old April 14th 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

Old April 15th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
airshowbob[_2_]

Caproni only built a few gliders with the jet engine (I believe only
4). At least a couple are still flying. I heard the Australian Air
Force bought the production rights, but I haven't heard any more.
Some German guys have parts to build several. They are also looking
at the TJ-100 engine.

I believe the Caproni/TRS-18 wasn't the best combination. The
airframe was very heavy, and the engine was too small. Jets aren't
known for their short field performance. Pushing the extra weight to
liftoff speed took a lot of runway. The mechanical fuel control made
the engine overly complicated and finicky (after all, that was 30
years ago). Basically, it was too much, too soon. But, at least they
tried...

Others have tried as well. The earliest attempt at a jet sailplane I
can find is the Hanle/Hutter H-13 (predecessor to the Libelle &
Salto) . It had a huge BMW turbine stuffed behind the wing spar. The
engine probably weighed as much as the airframe, with maybe 60 lbs
thrust.

Bob

Old April 15th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

airshowbob wrote:
[...]

I had an old colleague with a standard (non-jet) Caproni. I think the
wings contained plutonium or some other very heavy metal. The ship is
VERY heavy. The take-off run behind the club's strongest towplane was
notably excruciating - I didn't know that our runways were that long!
In the air, it handled well, and I actually liked the side-by-side
seating, but, gosh, it was a heavy brute.

Mike
Old April 15th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

There are two A21SJ's listed in Texas, and one in Oregon. There is
also an A21 rebuild that was fitted with a jet in Washington, 1500fpm
climb rate near sea level reported.

Frank Whiteley
Old April 15th 10, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Apr 14, 8:04*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, brian whatcott wrote: Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

There are two A21SJ's listed in Texas, and one in Oregon. *There is
also an A21 rebuild that was fitted with a jet in Washington, 1500fpm
climb rate near sea level reported.

Frank Whiteley

There is NOT one in Oregon. I tried to locate both the ship and the
owner two years ago. Rumor has it that the owner and ship is MIA in
Australia.

Mike
Old April 15th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 15, 3:12*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Apr 14, 8:04*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, brian whatcott wrote: Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

There are two A21SJ's listed in Texas, and one in Oregon. *There is
also an A21 rebuild that was fitted with a jet in Washington, 1500fpm
climb rate near sea level reported.

Frank Whiteley

There is NOT one in Oregon. *I tried to locate both the ship and the
owner two years ago. *Rumor has it that the owner and ship is MIA in
Australia.

Mike

Last summer at the 18m nats there was an A21 tied
down on the ramp at Ephrata Washington. I thought
perhaps a jet model ? Anybody know ?

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Old April 15th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 15, 1:12*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Apr 14, 8:04*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, brian whatcott wrote: Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

There are two A21SJ's listed in Texas, and one in Oregon. *There is
also an A21 rebuild that was fitted with a jet in Washington, 1500fpm
climb rate near sea level reported.

Frank Whiteley

There is NOT one in Oregon. *I tried to locate both the ship and the
owner two years ago. *Rumor has it that the owner and ship is MIA in
Australia.

Mike

On an extended walk about, eh?

Perhaps we'll hear from OZ.

Frank
Old April 15th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 15, 5:14*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:12*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:

On Apr 14, 8:04*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, brian whatcott wrote: Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

There are two A21SJ's listed in Texas, and one in Oregon. *There is
also an A21 rebuild that was fitted with a jet in Washington, 1500fpm
climb rate near sea level reported.

Frank Whiteley

There is NOT one in Oregon. *I tried to locate both the ship and the
owner two years ago. *Rumor has it that the owner and ship is MIA in
Australia.

Mike

Last summer at the 18m nats there was an A21 tied
down on the ramp at Ephrata Washington. I thought
perhaps a jet model ? Anybody know ?

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Different summer, same location
http://flightlog.seven-alpha.com/ca.html
Old April 15th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Apr 15, 4:14*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:12*am, SoaringXCellence wrote:

On Apr 14, 8:04*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Apr 14, 4:21*pm, brian whatcott wrote: Which reminds me...

Whatever happened to the Caproni jet?

Brian W

There are two A21SJ's listed in Texas, and one in Oregon. *There is
also an A21 rebuild that was fitted with a jet in Washington, 1500fpm
climb rate near sea level reported.

Frank Whiteley

There is NOT one in Oregon. *I tried to locate both the ship and the
owner two years ago. *Rumor has it that the owner and ship is MIA in
Australia.

Mike

Last summer at the 18m nats there was an A21 tied
down on the ramp at Ephrata Washington. I thought
perhaps a jet model ? Anybody know ?

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

The A21 in Ephrata does have a jet and belongs to Dave Harris of BD5
jet fame. It's been beautifully done and reportedly moves out quite
smartly.
Craig