A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stowing water?

Old May 13th 18, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

I am finding the summer heat to be quite difficult to manage in the southwestern USA. At the moment I have just been shoving a water bottle in my pocket but this proves to be somewhat uncomfortable and more of a pain in the rear to remove and use which makes me not drink as much as I maybe should. I am aware things like water bladders exist but I am not to sure as to where I would be able to put it. At the moment I am flying the 1-26 exclusively and there are no pockets on the side that one could store a bladder in. Any ideas or is there really no other option than what I am doing presently.
Old May 13th 18, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 12:41:07 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am finding the summer heat to be quite difficult to manage in the southwestern USA. At the moment I have just been shoving a water bottle in my pocket but this proves to be somewhat uncomfortable and more of a pain in the rear to remove and use which makes me not drink as much as I maybe should. I am aware things like water bladders exist but I am not to sure as to where I would be able to put it. At the moment I am flying the 1-26 exclusively and there are no pockets on the side that one could store a bladder in. Any ideas or is there really no other option than what I am doing presently.

What do other people who fly that glider do?

Very popular approach: Camelback unbottle behind your seat back or on the luggage shelf or jammed down beside you, with the water tube secured with a clip somewhere on your body or cockpit wall etc so you can find it. Make sure it has a locking tube tip because you don't want to sit on the tube tip and have it leak, which will happen. Half fill with ice in summer. If you use Gatorade or similar wash immediately after use and use bleach cleaner, and probably be prepared to throw the inner bladder away every year.

https://www.rei.com/product/115086/c...rvoir-3-liters

Old May 13th 18, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

I fly with two 70 oz CamelBaks stuffed behind the headrest on the "luggage shelf." I added some length to the drinking tubes and the nozzles are velcroed to the end of my boom microphone. That way, I don't lose them in the cockpit or sit on them and they are always just a couple of inches from my thirsty lips.
Old May 13th 18, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 9:08:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I fly with two 70 oz CamelBaks stuffed behind the headrest on the "luggage shelf." I added some length to the drinking tubes and the nozzles are velcroed to the end of my boom microphone. That way, I don't lose them in the cockpit or sit on them and they are always just a couple of inches from my thirsty lips.

I concur with a Camelbak on the luggage shelf or behind the seat. My modification is that I have silvery fabric cover for the drinking tube. Without it, if I don't drink for a while, the water in the tube heats up from the sun and a gulp of warm water is quite distasteful. The cloth tube cover keeps the water left in the tube reasonably cool and palatable. Also, I have a pouch made of insulated fabric in which I put the water bladder. I find that the plastic tubs for soft-spread margarine are good forms to make ice "hockey pucks" that are just small enough to fit into the Camelbak and provide cooling that outlasts regular cubes. Part of my takeoff checklist is to make sure that the water tube is clipped to my harness and acceptable. It is extremely difficult to find the tube in flight.
Old May 13th 18, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 9:25:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 9:08:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I concur with a Camelbak on the luggage shelf or behind the seat. My modification is that I have silvery fabric cover for the drinking tube. Without it, if I don't drink for a while, the water in the tube heats up from the sun and a gulp of warm water is quite distasteful. The cloth tube cover keeps the water left in the tube reasonably cool and palatable. Also, I have a pouch made of insulated fabric in which I put the water bladder. I find that the plastic tubs for soft-spread margarine are good forms to make ice "hockey pucks" that are just small enough to fit into the Camelbak and provide cooling that outlasts regular cubes. Part of my takeoff checklist is to make sure that the water tube is clipped to my harness and acceptable. It is extremely difficult to find the tube in flight.

I mean "accessible", not "acceptable"
Old May 13th 18, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

I think everyone else is missing the "1-26" part. Most don't have a package shelf.
I have flown with a Camelback type which you can hang off the spar.
You might want to use a length of plastic pipe strapped to cross braces by the spar and slide the Camelback into it if you don't want it hanging.
I also use quart size Gatorade bottles (plastic, resealable) and put them between my thighs and fuselage skin.

Most of my 1-26 flying is in 002.

PS, whatever you do, make sure to keep things away from controls, etc. Assume some turbulence when flying.
Old May 13th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 2:41:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:

When I fly our club 1-26 I just stuff my 3 liter CamelBak up against the seat back on my right hand side such that it is sort of wedged between my body and the sidewall and behind my right arm. It doesn't get in the way at all. I do make sure I clip the drinking tube to a strap to keep it easily accessible and prevent it from getting wedged between me and the seat and leaking everywhere.

Robert
Old May 13th 18, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 8:21:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:

When I fly our club 1-26 I just stuff my 3 liter CamelBak up against the seat back on my right hand side such that it is sort of wedged between my body and the sidewall and behind my right arm. It doesn't get in the way at all. I do make sure I clip the drinking tube to a strap to keep it easily accessible and prevent it from getting wedged between me and the seat and leaking everywhere.

Robert

I'll have to buy one and try it out. Another plus would be having the three liters over my current one bottle for my increasingly longer flights. Thanks
Old May 13th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 8:21:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Robert

I'll have to buy one and try it out. Another plus would be having the three liters over my current one bottle for my increasingly longer flights. Thanks
Old May 13th 18, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

I stuff a 1 quart Gatorade bottle between me and the side of the glider. One on each side. Works well in 1-26 and ASW-19.