Unknown (to me) over Cambridgeshire

Old August 26th 07, 11:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Pjmac35

Default Unknown (to me) over Cambridgeshire

"Keith Edkins" wrote in message

"Pjmac35" wrote in message

"Keith Edkins" wrote in message
Forgive my boundless ignorance and the minimal photo quality, but what
is this? Seen over east Cambridgeshire, England 13th Aug.

Keith

Looks like a WB-57, a much-modified Canberra weather reconnaisance
aircraft built in US by Martin.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Thanks for that. No doubt it is a NASA flight from Mildenhall, as
described in:

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...2&archive=true

Keith

Spot on!

(Glad to be of help)

Pat Macguire

Old August 28th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Inglima

The airplane is a Martin B-57F. It is a version of the English Electric
Canberra. The "F" was a very limited rebuild of the B-57B with much bigger
wings, different engines including two additional small engines in pods
slung under the wings. This was an intelligence gathering airplane. NASA
took off the two underwing engines and used (or maybe uses) it for upper
atmosphere research.

Tom Inglima

To the best of my knowledge none are left in USAF service but NASA