Keeping Carpet from Sliding?

Old March 29th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Keeping Carpet from Sliding?

The carpet sections in the front of my 1979 Warrior keep sliding
forward and get "bunched up" under the pedals. The carpet is in pretty
good shape but not stiff enough to hold itself in place. There is only
the metal airframe underneath.

How do people keep the carpet in place? I've thought of Velcro strips
(probably not strong enough), construction glue/adhesive (too
permanent?), stapling to plywood cut to fit (too difficult)?, punching
grommet holes in the carpet and gluing hooks on the metal floor (like
in my car), installing metal snaps on the floor and carpet???

Ideas needed. THanks!!

--JB

Old March 29th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 28-Mar-2006, "JB" wrote:

How do people keep the carpet in place?

One thing you could try is to place foam antislip padding between the carpet
and the metal underneath. The inexpensive padding is sold in sheets or
rolls of various sizes in stores like Target. It is intended to be put
under throw rugs that sit on slippery hardwood or linoleum floors. To keep
things neat, you may want to glue the padding (which you will cut to the
shape of your individual segments) to the back of your carpets. For this I
would use contact cement or possibly rubber cement. The stuff works great
in our house, and I don't see why it wouldn't work equally well in an
airplane.

The padding weighs next to nothing and might even add a smidgeon of sound
and thermal insulation.

-Elliott Drucker
Old March 29th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

JB wrote:
The carpet sections in the front of my 1979 Warrior keep sliding
forward and get "bunched up" under the pedals. The carpet is in pretty
good shape but not stiff enough to hold itself in place. There is only
the metal airframe underneath.

How do people keep the carpet in place? I've thought of Velcro strips
(probably not strong enough), construction glue/adhesive (too
permanent?), stapling to plywood cut to fit (too difficult)?, punching
grommet holes in the carpet and gluing hooks on the metal floor (like
in my car), installing metal snaps on the floor and carpet???

Ideas needed. THanks!!

--JB

Carpet Tape. Double sided sticky.
Works on Airliners too.
Michelle
Old March 29th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

JB wrote:
The carpet sections in the front of my 1979 Warrior keep sliding
forward and get "bunched up" under the pedals. The carpet is in pretty
good shape but not stiff enough to hold itself in place. There is only
the metal airframe underneath.

How do people keep the carpet in place? I've thought of Velcro strips
(probably not strong enough), construction glue/adhesive (too
permanent?), stapling to plywood cut to fit (too difficult)?, punching
grommet holes in the carpet and gluing hooks on the metal floor (like
in my car), installing metal snaps on the floor and carpet???

Ideas needed. THanks!!

--JB

I tried the small Velcro strips on my Archer and no joy. The adhesive
didn't hold. I finally broke down and bought the 2 inch stuff and it
has held for years. My intention was to put it on with contact cement
but I never needed this step.

http://www.velcro.com/CONSUMER/products_is.htm

Tom
Old March 29th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

check www.planeplastics.com

There is a 3M adhesive that I purchased from them for this purpose. The rug
hasn't move since!
part # - K08031 3M Fast Tack Trim Adhesive
(Clear) $9.95
Old March 30th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll try the HD Velcro for starters.
Bill's 3M adhesive looks permanent. I probably wouldn't remove the
carpets except for cleaning but I don't want to have to yank and rip to
get them out. But I may have to go that route eventually. Passengers
usually stand on the carpet to enter/exit and the carpets get pushed
under the pedals. The adhesive may be the only way to really hold them
down.

--JB

Keeping the Hangar Clear of Snow Jay Honeck Owning 32 December 19th 05 12:41 PM
Interior Replacement Project - Day 8 Mike Spera Owning 4 April 21st 05 01:55 AM
Cobra Carpet Janus2k Soaring 4 August 28th 04 04:22 AM
Cobra Interior Carpet Glue Brian Iten Soaring 7 August 24th 04 05:35 AM
Petition for keeping one Concorde flying Paul Sengupta Home Built 95 February 17th 04 06:38 PM