Digital OAT

Old July 10th 05, 07:39 PM
Jack Allison

Jim Burns wrote:
To mount our display in the panel, 6 feet
wouldn't be enough to get it out past the engine nacelles if we tried to put
it in wing inspection panel.

Oh ya, you got one of them funny planes with engines on both sides of you!

I was curious as to where they'd mount our OAT probe and when I found it
thought "Well, that makes perfect sense". If you do get a Davtron and
figure out how the flight timer function works, let me know. The
elapsed timer works fine but I've yet to figure out the button sequence
to get the flight timer (the one that can count up/down for approaches
and such...I think it's the "FT") to work. Strange because I can
usually figure these out even if I don't have an instruction manual.
Read the short Davtron manual and I come away with the feeling that I'm
just missing something when it comes to the FT function.

The Davtron was our first official upgrade for the Arrow. It was nice
to get rid of the inoperative analog clock in the dash and have OAT at
the push of a button.

Are you going to be at OSH and/or Jay and Mary's pre-OSH bash?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 10th 05, 08:05 PM
Jim Burns

Gottchya... That'll work fine right up on the top of the nose infront of the
windshield.
Thanks
Jim

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:

Thanks. No need to go to any extra trouble,

It is NEVER extra trouble to go over to my airplane
(besides, it's only 7 miles from my house).

The probe is slightly less than 1.25" long, but longer than 1 3/16 inches.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old July 10th 05, 08:08 PM
Jim Burns

Thanks Jack,
I think it comes with a 6 foot cable, so I think it's gonna work fine right
up infront of the windshield. To mount our display in the panel, 6 feet
wouldn't be enough to get it out past the engine nacelles if we tried to put
it in wing inspection panel.
Jim

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Hey Jim...we installed a Davtron in the Arrow. OAT probe is in the
middle of an inspection panel on the bottom of the left wing. IIRC,
it's the forward most panel and the first one from the bottom of the
fuselage. The Davtron works great. Way easier than trying to read the
old OAT in the windshield.

Old July 10th 05, 09:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Hey Jim...we installed a Davtron in the Arrow. OAT probe is in the middle
of an inspection panel on the bottom of the left wing. IIRC, it's the
forward most panel and the first one from the bottom of the fuselage.

Hey -- that's a great idea. No holes drilled in the side, no wires through
the firewall!

Uh oh -- a new doohickey to get at OSH!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 10th 05, 11:55 PM
Jim Burns

Sorry, can't help you with the Davtron clock, we've just got a AstroTech L2
that drives us crazy enough. Sometime I'll have to let you help us change
the battery in that thing! With ours you have to keep punching the mode
button until you're cussing in about 4 languages to get 00:00:00 to come up,
then hit ST/SP.

I think aircraft clocks were one of those inventions that some bunch of
smart*ss engineers made over complicated out of jealously, they all really
wanted to be pilots but couldn't get passed the whole Bernoulli thing, so
they made these aircraft clocks just to **** us off.

Yep, I'll be at the RAP party at OSH. I'll be playing Montblack's chauffer,
driving him around to buy load of fud. Another partner in our Aztec has
also taken the day off from work, and my wife will also be there.

Old July 11th 05, 12:09 AM
Bob Noel

In article d_fAe.156265$xm3.54248@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Hey -- that's a great idea. No holes drilled in the side, no wires through
the firewall!

Uh oh -- a new doohickey to get at OSH!

It's not worth it on its own, only when you need to move the OAT probe.

Old July 11th 05, 05:36 AM
Jack Allison

Jim Burns wrote:

I think aircraft clocks were one of those inventions that some bunch of
smart*ss engineers made over complicated out of jealously, they all really
wanted to be pilots but couldn't get passed the whole Bernoulli thing, so
they made these aircraft clocks just to **** us off.

Yep, gotta watch them engineers...hey, wait a sec, I R one. A software
guy though.

Yep, I'll be at the RAP party at OSH. I'll be playing Montblack's chauffer,
driving him around to buy load of fud.

Cool! Another name/face thing. You must be driving something bigger
than Paul's transmission-challenged minivan...or...we need a lot of fud.
Then again, maybe Paul just wants to feel important

Old July 11th 05, 06:14 PM
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Yep, I'll be at the RAP party at OSH. I'll be playing Montblack's
chauffer,
driving him around to buy load of fud.

Cool! Another name/face thing. You must be driving something bigger than
Paul's transmission-challenged minivan...or...we need a lot of fud.

No-no. Jim in NC had the trani meltdown. The 94 Dodge minivan had (a few)
other issues last year - which eventually turned out being a water pump
meltdown and an O2 sensor meltdown - plus some other things. Minivan is much
happier this season. Of course cars always seem to run better on new tires
:-)

Then again, maybe Paul just wants to feel important

Aztec Jim B has kindly offered to be the logistics guy (chauffeur). I can
only hope he'll wear the little black hat too g.

I'll try not launching into my Dudley Moore (Arthur - 1981) routine, while
being chauffeured about town.

Digging up fresh potatoes in Jim's fields for the (N40BBQ) should bring me
back to earth....

Montblack

Old July 12th 05, 01:27 AM
Jim Burns

Don't worry Paul, we won't make you dig them.
My wife and I will take care of that on Tuesday. I was thinking that maybe
we'd have sweet corn, cucumbers, and green beans ready by that time also,
we'll have to see.
Jim

Old July 16th 05, 04:33 AM
Jay Honeck

My wife and I will take care of that on Tuesday. I was thinking that
maybe
we'd have sweet corn, cucumbers, and green beans ready by that time also,
we'll have to see.

MMMMM...sweet corn. It's just coming "on-line" here in Iowa, and, God, it's
good.

Unfortunately, we're in a bit of a drought here, so it's not up to its usual
"unbelievable-oh-my-God-this-can't-be-corn" goodness (that we're accustomed
to here in Iowa) -- but it's still better than almost anything else.

If only I had room in Atlas to bring a coupla dozen ears...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA