Cell phone regulation on airlines?

Old October 11th 04, 08:01 PM
C J Campbell

Default Cell phone regulation on airlines?

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Cell phone usage is restricted on all domestic commercial flights by the

FAA,
so the flight attendant keeps telling me.

The regulation against using electronic devices that have not been
determined by the operator to be harmless pre-dates the invention of
cellular phones. The text of the regulation is:

§ 121.306 Portable electronic devices.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the
operation of, any portable electronic device on any U.S.-registered civil
aircraft operating under this part.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to-

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the part 119 certificate
holder has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or
communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) The determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be
made by that part 119 certificate holder operating the particular device to
be used.

The FCC prohibits using cellular phones on aircraft, but that applies only
to cellular phones, few of which exist any more. Most modern 'cellular'
phones are in fact PCS phones, which are not subject to that regulation.
This ban was created when the regulations for cellular phones were first
written and was not included in the regulations for PCS phones.

Anyway, cellular phones are specifically banned by the FCC and few flight
attendants are probably willing or able to verify whether a particular phone
is covered by the regulation or not, while all portable electronic devices
are banned by the FAA unless the air carrier has determined that they will
not be harmful. Few air carriers are probably willing to test every type and
model of electronic device for radio interference, but most of them have no
problem with pocket calculators, laptop computers, and the like, even though
a laptop computer or PDA with Bluetooth or WiFi would seem to be a potential
problem.

Old October 11th 04, 08:35 PM
Ron Natalie

DaveC wrote:
Cell phone usage is restricted on all domestic commercial flights by the FAA,
so the flight attendant keeps telling me.

Nope. The FAA rules have not changed on this, nor have the FCC ones.
You can't use Advanced Mobile Phone Service (i.e., traditional cellular)
airborne. That is an FCC rule.

The FAA rule is just that the airline (i.e., the operator) must
determine when electronic devices are safe to use. The only thing that
has really changed is the "conventional wisdom" on the FAA's part got a
little tighter after some supposed interference issues (primarily blamed
on laptops) a few years back.

Is cell phone usage also restricted on private jets, etc. for similar
reasons?

Yes, all airborne use is prohibited. On cell phones permanently
installed on private jets, there has to be a warning label attached to
prohibit it's use in the air. (FCC rule).

So my question... what is the technical reason for restriction of cell phone
us on commercial flights? Is this reason valid, technically? Or is it simply
an excuse to force anyone who needs to make a call to use the airline's
on-board phones (and pay their outrageous rates)?

Forcing you to use the Airphones is the least of the FAA's or the FCC's
concern.

The real reason is that the cellular phone industry does not want you
to. Their bread and butter is the ground based caller, and their
systems are not designed to work with callers that have some altitude on
the system (there are techncial deficiencies in this that I won't go
into unless you really want to know). As a matter of fact, the cellular
industry fought a company who wanted to share the spectrum
tooth-and-nail over airborne use.

Oddly, this prohibition is NOT written into the rules for the newer
wireless services (PCS, NEXTEL, etc...) that operate outside the AMPS
(800MHz) band. However, most of the carriers with these services still
discourate airborne use.

Old October 11th 04, 08:36 PM
Ron Natalie

C J Campbell wrote:

The FCC prohibits using cellular phones on aircraft, but that applies only
to cellular phones, few of which exist any more. Most modern 'cellular'
phones are in fact PCS phones, which are not subject to that regulation.

Actually, they are subject to the regulation when they operate inside
the AMPS band regardless of the technology used. Many of the PCS
services fall back to AMPS. Some of the other wireless providers do
digital service in the AMPS band as well.

Old October 11th 04, 09:08 PM
Spike

PCS is a marketing term invented by cellular
carriers. Both 800 and 1900 Mhz are still
"cellular." PCS originally meant Personal
Communications Services which was a term
used even with old analog via touch-tone
before there ever existed 1900 Mhz "Cellular."
The system could not operate with just one cell because
if everyone was on the same site they would
interefere with one another. More profound
than that, but a cell-phone is still cellular
whether on so-called "PCS" or 800 Mhz
bands.

Old October 11th 04, 09:10 PM
Bob Chilcoat

I noticed on the evening news the other night that someone is trying to get
a modular mobile "cell tower" approved that would be installed in commercial
aircraft so that passengers can use their own mobile phones. It will be
interesting to see how the FCC and FAA handle this one.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old October 11th 04, 10:01 PM
NW_PILOT

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Cell phone usage is restricted on all domestic commercial flights by the

FAA,
so the flight attendant keeps telling me.

I seem to recall that this wasn't so, early in cellular history. Weren't

we
able to use cell phones on flights, long ago?

Is cell phone usage also restricted on private jets, etc. for similar
reasons?

So my question... what is the technical reason for restriction of cell

phone
us on commercial flights? Is this reason valid, technically? Or is it

simply
an excuse to force anyone who needs to make a call to use the airline's
on-board phones (and pay their outrageous rates)?

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

No you cannot use your phone, But you can use their phone at $3.00 a min.