Engine problem - Seneca II

Old January 6th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Engine problem - Seneca II

"BDS" wrote

I wonder if the bearings could be changed out as opposed to replacing the
entire turbo.

At what point do you say that it is time for an overhaul of the turbo?

I would think that when the bearings need to be replaced would be a very
good time.

What would be redone on a rebuilt turbo? Cooked out, bead blasted, oil
ports cleaned or reamed, or whatever you do to clean out the gunk, new
shaft, reface the inlet and outlet flanges, and rebalance the whole thing.

It just seems to me that if the bearings need to be replaced, it would be a
shame to do that, then have something else go wrong.

I don't know specifically about aircraft turbos, but from a sound mechanical
preventative maintenance background, it seems to me that this is an
important decision, and one that should be talked around to various A & P's,
and other owners that have had work done on their turbo, just to make sure
that you are not throwing good money after bad.

Old January 6th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"BDS" wrote in message . net...
:...
:
: I wonder if the bearings could be changed out as opposed to replacing the
: entire turbo.
:
: BDS
:
:

I'm sure the bearings could be changed out for no more than twice the cost of new turbos...

;-)

Old January 8th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Blueskies" wrote in message

"BDS" wrote in message

. net...
:...
:
: I wonder if the bearings could be changed out as opposed to replacing

the
: entire turbo.
:
: BDS
:
:

I'm sure the bearings could be changed out for no more than twice the cost

of new turbos...

Yep, sounds about right.