Bush, Kerry, Airplanes

Old July 16th 04, 12:16 AM
Dude

I enjoyed the discussion, CAVU 4U!

"TTA Cherokee Driver" wrote in message
What's this? a politcal rebuttal that is informed and well thought out
and not full of flames? What the heck happened to the usenet I've come
to know? Seriously, nice work Dude.

I agree that what you have written below is the crux of our disagreement
on this issue. You feel that GA would have flourished if left to its
own devices and that the infrastructure that we now use is more an
imposition to please the big lines than an essential part of our GA
experience. I believe that GA would never have been as widespread or as
successful as it is if it didn't have all that infrastructure to get a
relatively free ride off of. Fair enough, we just see it differently.

And we both agree on politicans of both parties at the local level being
bought and owned by development interests

Dude wrote:

After writing my response, I am coming back to the top here to perhaps

save
you time, and because I realize a key point. We are mostly in

disagreement
based on my belief that you cannot fairly account a pro rata share to GA
users because most of what we use is forced on us due to the needs of

other
users of the airspace. Since we are being accepted into the airspace as
secondary users, it is only appropriate that the accounting of costs

keep
this in mind.

Old July 20th 04, 04:35 AM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:36:59 -0600, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

The T-38 has been a great airplane for 42 years of training and with
the upgraded glass cockpit looks like it will be active in SUPT for
another 20 years at least.

I have a friend who went from F-18s and SR-71s to T-38s (Bs, I think)
with conventional cockpits. He sure missed the HUD at first. I don't
think he realized how much difference it made to him. I could have
told him, though, because having a HUD greatly improves my piloting,
so think of what it does for a real pilot.

Does the T-38 glass cockpit have a HUD? NASA did a cockpit upgrade on
the JSC T-38s, but I'm pretty sure it didn't include a HUD.

The USAF has been turning every cockpit into a glass cockpit. They
did the KC-135s that the ANG flies a couple of years ago, even.
That's real dedication to glass cockpits, I'd say.

Mary

Old July 20th 04, 03:24 PM
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

The T-38 has been a great airplane for 42 years of training and with
the upgraded glass cockpit looks like it will be active in SUPT for
another 20 years at least.

I have a friend who went from F-18s and SR-71s to T-38s (Bs, I think)

That doesn't track. Was he on USN exchange? Was he flying "company"
SR-71? If he was USAF it isn't likely that he would have been flying
either, but then how did he get to T-38s? The only "B" models are
AT-38s, which are only flown by the SUPT fighter-leadin squadron. The
NASA, ATC/UPT Talons are all "A" models.

with conventional cockpits. He sure missed the HUD at first. I don't
think he realized how much difference it made to him. I could have
told him, though, because having a HUD greatly improves my piloting,
so think of what it does for a real pilot.

Did the SR-71 get a HUD? Dunno what there would be to see out the
window.

Does the T-38 glass cockpit have a HUD? NASA did a cockpit upgrade on
the JSC T-38s, but I'm pretty sure it didn't include a HUD.

The glass mod does include a HUD.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old July 20th 04, 10:33 PM
Brett

wrote:

The T-38 has been a great airplane for 42 years of training and with
the upgraded glass cockpit looks like it will be active in SUPT for
another 20 years at least.

I have a friend who went from F-18s and SR-71s to T-38s (Bs, I think)

That doesn't track.

Mary was at NASA, F/A-18's, SR-71's and T-38's have been and are in their
inventory.

Old July 20th 04, 10:55 PM
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

The T-38 has been a great airplane for 42 years of training and with
the upgraded glass cockpit looks like it will be active in SUPT for
another 20 years at least.

I have a friend who went from F-18s and SR-71s to T-38s (Bs, I think)

That doesn't track.

Mary was at NASA, F/A-18's, SR-71's and T-38's have been and are in their
inventory.

All the more reason to say it wasn't "B" models.

Old September 9th 04, 01:13 AM
Mary Shafer

wrote:

The T-38 has been a great airplane for 42 years of training and with
the upgraded glass cockpit looks like it will be active in SUPT for
another 20 years at least.

I have a friend who went from F-18s and SR-71s to T-38s (Bs, I think)

That doesn't track. Was he on USN exchange? Was he flying "company"
SR-71? If he was USAF it isn't likely that he would have been flying
either, but then how did he get to T-38s? The only "B" models are
AT-38s, which are only flown by the SUPT fighter-leadin squadron. The
NASA, ATC/UPT Talons are all "A" models.

Actually, he started flying helos in the USN, converted to F-4s, and
was sent to Dryden as Navy Liaison Officer. He left the USN and hired
on at Dryden, where he flew the F-8 DFBW, the B-52, the F-104, the
F-18, the F-18 HARV, and the SR-71. He was flying the last three
before he transferred to JSC to be a support pilot flying T-38s.

I don't know what model the JSC T-38s are. I thought they were Bs,
but I'm apparently wrong. We had one for a while, but we had to give
it back or I could have checked.

with conventional cockpits. He sure missed the HUD at first. I don't
think he realized how much difference it made to him. I could have
told him, though, because having a HUD greatly improves my piloting,
so think of what it does for a real pilot.

Did the SR-71 get a HUD? Dunno what there would be to see out the
window.

No need. You don't fly the SR-71 head-up but on the instruments. The
crews say they rarely even look out the window except during takeoff
and landing. The RSOs don't even do that.

I was referring to the F-18s and their HUDs. We have both research
F-18s and support F-18s, so the test pilots get most of their time in
them.

Mary

Old September 9th 04, 05:29 AM
Murphy

I don't know what model the JSC T-38s are. I thought they were Bs,
but I'm apparently wrong. We had one for a while, but we had to give
it back or I could have checked.

T-38N, modified version of the A model.

Old September 10th 04, 06:26 AM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 04:29:03 GMT, "Murphy" wrote:

I don't know what model the JSC T-38s are. I thought they were Bs,
but I'm apparently wrong. We had one for a while, but we had to give
it back or I could have checked.

T-38N, modified version of the A model.

And some of them were modified to chase the Shuttle back in the late
'70s, but not enough to make them into NT-38Ns, fortunately. We
didn't have to modify the F-104Ns and F-104Gs.

Mary

Old September 10th 04, 10:16 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:13:20 -0700, Mary Shafer
wrote:

No need. You don't fly the SR-71 head-up but on the instruments. The
crews say they rarely even look out the window except during takeoff
and landing.

How sad!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM