OUCH! Lightning hits airplane.........

Old February 8th 04, 02:14 AM
Aardvark

Default OUCH! Lightning hits airplane.........

Friday, February 6, 2004 · Last updated 5:27 p.m. PT

Lightning hits airplane on ground at Sea-Tac airport

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATAC, Wash. -- Lightning struck an airplane on the ground Friday at
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, slightly injuring a worker.

Thirty people were aboard the Horizon Air plane when lightning struck it
about 2:20 p.m. as it was preparing to depart for Pocatello, Idaho,
airport spokesman Bob Parker said.

The injured man was working next to the plane, wearing a headset plugged
into a jack on the side of the aircraft, Parker said. When lightning hit
the plane, the headset wire conducted some of the charge to the worker.

Parker said the man was conscious and alert when he was taken to a local
hospital. His condition was not known. No one aboard the plane was injured.

Old February 8th 04, 02:57 AM
C J Campbell

"Aardvark" wrote in message
.. .

| Parker said the man was conscious and alert when he was taken to a local
| hospital. His condition was not known. No one aboard the plane was
injured.

Apparently he has already been released. He was only slightly injured. Bet
it made his ears smoke, though.

Old February 8th 04, 05:33 AM
Cockpit Colin

OMG ...

.... Was the Plane alright???

Old February 8th 04, 02:23 PM
CFLav8r

The injured man was working next to the plane, wearing a headset plugged
into a jack on the side of the aircraft, Parker said. When lightning hit
the plane, the headset wire conducted some of the charge to the worker.

That's exactly what killed a ramp agent here in Orlando a few years back.
Now they close the ramp at the slightest hint of lighting in the area.
Florida "Lighting Strike Capitol of the World".

So much for odds on winning the lottery.

David (KORL = Fun / KMCO = Work)

Old February 8th 04, 04:46 PM
John Bishop

Got hit by lightning about ten years ago on a Czech airlines Tupolev 134.
The whole cabin lit up and the plane jumped a bit. We were over the Tatra
mountains at the time, so I was glad nothing went wrong. Made a
precautionary landing at Poprad for a checkover, then flew on to Prague.

John

.. .