Safety Whistle I Just Bought - Great for Pilots

Old March 31st 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Safety Whistle I Just Bought - Great for Pilots

I recently came across this electronic safety whistle and thought it to
be a no brainer for my (or any serious pilot's) flight bag. Thought I'd
share. http://www.davidsteele.com

Old March 31st 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm not a big fan of things that depend on batteries in an emergency. I
bought a "rescue whistle" from REI for five bucks...it is supposed to have a
one-half mile range.

Bob Gardner

ups.com...

Old March 31st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently came across this electronic safety whistle and thought it to
be a no brainer for my (or any serious pilot's) flight bag. Thought I'd
share. http://www.davidsteele.com

The whistles I used when I was a zebra on the basketball court work
great. They are now standard items in my survival packs. Batteries not
required. Never measured the DB level but I recall a rescue team having to
hike some considerable distance to find a kid sitting on the side of a
mountain blowing away on one. I think I gotta pass on this gadget.

Old March 31st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I recently came across this electronic safety whistle and thought it to
be a no brainer for my (or any serious pilot's) flight bag. Thought I'd
share.
http://www.davidsteele.com

You "recently came across" this? Strange then how the davidsteele.com
domain belongs to a Donald Bassler then. Quite a coincidence.

**** off, sock puppet.

Registrant:
Donald Bassler
1280 Bison Ave B9507
Newport Beach, California 92660
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: DAVIDSTEELE.COM
Created on: 13-Oct-95
Expires on: 11-Oct-07
Last Updated on: 14-Sep-05

Administrative Contact:
Bassler, Donald
1280 Bison Ave B9507
Newport Beach, California 92660
United States
(949) 823-9445 Fax --

Technical Contact:

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old March 31st 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote

The whistles I used when I was a zebra on the basketball court work
great. They are now standard items in my survival packs. Batteries not
required. Never measured the DB level but I recall a rescue team having to
hike some considerable distance to find a kid sitting on the side of a
mountain blowing away on one. I think I gotta pass on this gadget.

Yep, a solution without a need. g

I used to blow on one as a marching band director, and it had to be way over
the 125 decibels they advertise. When you blow on a whistle, your ears
pressurize, or something like that, and you can stand much louder sounds
while doing that.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 31st 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
You "recently came across" this? Strange then how the davidsteele.com
domain belongs to a Donald Bassler then. Quite a coincidence.

Nice catch PT.

Montblack

Old March 31st 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
I'm not a big fan of things that depend on batteries in an emergency. I
bought a "rescue whistle" from REI for five bucks...it is supposed to have
a one-half mile range.

Bob Gardner

When I crewed on offshore sailboats (a long time ago, and only a few times),
we had these less than $10.00 wonders clipped to our life jackets:

http://www.stormwhistles.com/

As they note on the site, they actually do make noise under water. And, at
up to 120 db (in air) without batteries, they are loud and reliable. I blew
mine full lung offshore once, and hurt my own ears.

REI and others have them.

- Curtis

Old March 31st 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
You "recently came across" this? Strange then how the davidsteele.com
domain belongs to a Donald Bassler then. Quite a coincidence.

Nice catch PT.

Not that one really needs the official record to clue in to the
self-promotion, but it does amuse me at how the spammers never seem to
bother to take the appropriate steps required to hide their connection to
the advertised product or web site.

I mean, come on...posting using your real name? What kind of spam tactic is
that?

The big tip-off is "great product, thought I'd share" from someone you never
heard of. Practically guaranteed to be spam.

Pete

Old March 31st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul Tomblin wrote:

You "recently came across" this? Strange then how the davidsteele.com
domain belongs to a Donald Bassler then. Quite a coincidence.

Nice catch, but reposting his entire message including the link is helping
him to spread his message. Next time, snip his link from your reply.

--
Peter
Old March 31st 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
"Montblack" wrote in message
("Paul Tomblin" wrote)
You "recently came across" this? Strange then how the davidsteele.com
domain belongs to a Donald Bassler then. Quite a coincidence.

Nice catch PT.

The big tip-off is "great product, thought I'd share" from someone you never
heard of. Practically guaranteed to be spam.

Because this form of idiocy is so common, my first reaction when somebody
posts about this "great product I recently came across" is to do a whois
on the domain name. It's sad how often it's the same name - not to give
hints to spammers or anything, but why don't they get a sock puppet email
address on gmail or yahoo in a different name?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
An Emacs reference mug is what I want. It would hold ten gallons of coffee.