What do you think of KA 6CR?

Old September 25th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Default What do you think of KA 6CR?

I'm looking for an inexpensive sailplane & see a few KA 6CR's for sale, all
including enclosed trailer for around $7,000. A 1-26 would have been OK, but
there aren't any right now. I'm not sure I'd fit in a KA 6 at 6'3" & over
200 lb. Also; how about maintaining a wooden sailplane? Does one need to be
a woodworker to keep the KA 6CR flying?
Jim Hultman
Santa Barbara, CA

Old September 25th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings

You might just be able to get in, but it will be like
putting a chicken back in its egg! Uncomfortable,
possbly restricted control movements and painful after
quite a short while.

Deteriorating glue jonts is the biggest potential problem
with old wooden gliders, though you can run into the
need to replace rotten or damaged pieces of wood.
Also, is the fabric synthitic or cotton/linen? If
the latter, it will need replacing at some point -
a job that will cost more than the glider if done commercially.

Old September 25th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave K

I've flown a K6E and I'm 6' and fitted in fine. I thought of buying a
CR off a friend, but they just said I wouldn't fit, so didn't even sit
in it - try a K6E apparently they are bigger.

Dave Kearns

Old September 25th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

I've flown a K6Cr - 6'1", 180 lbs, 33" inside leg. I was an exact fit.
Lovely glider to fly, but had I been much bigger I don't think I could
have managed it.

However, if you're long bodied, rather than long legged, you might be
OK. Same issue for the weight - if it's on your shoulders you might not
fit, if lower down you could be fine!

Maybe you could find one locally and ask the owner if you could sit in it?

Old September 25th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Losing weight is always an option. Please don't think
I'm being cruel; we have two guys in our club who wanted
to fly so badly that they went on a PERMANENT diet
change to enable it.

The first one went from about 225 down to about 180
so he could get into an ASW-15. The second one visited
our club weighing 400lbs. He is now down to about
220 and is one of our most PHYSICALLY active members.
He outperforms even the youngest teen-age members
is dragging gliders around, and all the other physical
stuff that goes on. He is close to getting his license
and the first one is about to become an instructor.
Both are happy, happy, happy!

Old September 26th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Crawley

Jim
I am 6ft and 210 lbs
I tried a K6CR and did not fit in it
However K6E comes in two variants. Short nose & long
nose.
I now have a share in a long nose E and am very comfortable
in it.
Find a long nose version and you'll love it. It's great
to fly.
Mike Crawley

Old September 26th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

I contacted one of my friends that has a KA-6. Here are his comments:

The K6 is a great glider. No need to be a woodworker although as with any
aircraft, a thorough pre buy inspection is warranted. Info on the web is
abundant to "self educate" concerning wooden aircraft. Obviously dry storage
is critical. If the glider was recovered recently it would have allowed the
mechanic an opportunity to perform a detailed internal inspection. Cockpit
size may be of concern for this gentleman, it is a little tighter than a
1-26, all he can do is sit in one and make that determination. The British
Gliding Association has some good info on the web concerning inspection,
operation etc. I understand anyone's concerns when jumping into a 30+ year
old wooden glider, been there, done that, and I'm glad I did!! Great flying
ship, probably the most "bang for the buck". The one downside is that in a
few years the wings will need to be recovered. (properly maintained fabric
can last 20 yrs or more).

BTW, there might be one for sale for under $7,000. Maybe flown three times
since recover and paint job. Let me know if interested (Jim).