Is it possible to switch from VFR to IFR and back?

Old November 24th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Is it possible to switch from VFR to IFR and back?

If I am instrument rated and my aircraft is fully equipped for
instrument flight, and I start out a flight with a VFR flight plan,
and it gets foggy enough that I'm below minimums, is there a way to
switch to IFR in flight, or do I have to have filed IFR from the
beginning? If it's possible in flight, how does it work? Is it
possible to later switch back again?

I ask because it seems like it might be practical to start out as VFR
but still have the option of going IFR if the weather turns
unexpectedly poor (at least in terms of visibility or clouds). At the
same time, filing IFR for the whole flight just because part of it
_might_ be in IMC seems like it could be overkill.

This of course assumes that a pilot and aircraft are ready and able to
handle IMC if they encounter it.

Old November 24th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Chris W

Greg Farris wrote:

However if the pilot is not IR rated, . . .

"IR rated", what's that? Instrument Rated rated?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old November 24th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:14:35 +0100, Greg Farris
wrote:

In article ,
says...

If I am instrument rated and my aircraft is fully equipped for
instrument flight, and I start out a flight with a VFR flight plan,
and it gets foggy enough that I'm below minimums, is there a way to
switch to IFR in flight, or do I have to have filed IFR from the
beginning? If it's possible in flight, how does it work? Is it
possible to later switch back again?

I'm surprised this was not covered in the instrument training.

I ask because it seems like it might be practical to start out as VFR
but still have the option of going IFR if the weather turns

It is, but the weather can be beautiful VMC and you can still "air
file" IFR. *Sometimes* IFR makes it easier through some areas and
*sometimes* going VFR can save a lot of aggrivation.

unexpectedly poor (at least in terms of visibility or clouds). At the
same time, filing IFR for the whole flight just because part of it
_might_ be in IMC seems like it could be overkill.

I find that some flight are just plain easier to file the whole thing
IFR, particularly out here in the open country where you can ask,
expect, and receive a direct clearance.

This of course assumes that a pilot and aircraft are ready and able to
handle IMC if they encounter it.

This is called "popping-up".
That means that IMC conditions may pop up at any time.
However if the pilot is not IR rated, and/or the aircraft is not IFR
certified, the weather conditions are required to revert to VMC.

I don't think that is quite the definition of "popping up", or a "pop
up clearance". Althoug it's kinda, sorta, in the neighborhood, more or
less. A pop up has little if any thing to do with conditions and a
lot to do with a pilot taking off and then air filing. He "pops up"

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 24th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

s there a way to
switch to IFR in flight,

Yes. Press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+I for that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 24th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote

I'm surprised this was not covered in the instrument training.

Roger, this was posted by the simulator troll. He has no clue about anything,
let-alone instrument ratings!
--
Jim in NC

Old November 24th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mxsmanic,

s there a way to
switch to IFR in flight,

Yes. Press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+I for that.

No, you get the command prompt, and then type in "format C"

Old November 24th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Roger,

I'm surprised this was not covered in the instrument training.

You're kidding, right? The question comes from MX, who's flying sims.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 24th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mxsmanic,

s there a way to
switch to IFR in flight,

Yes. Press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+I for that.

No, you get the command prompt, and then type in "format C"

That won't work.

You need to use FDISK to remove the partition virus.

Old November 24th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote in
:

I'm surprised this was not covered in the instrument training.

It is covered in instrument training.

The person who asked the question is not instrument trained. He hasn't had
any pilot training at all.