How do you do it ( hover )

Old August 26th 03, 06:59 PM
ABS

"ABE" hvad@saa skrev i en meddelelse
k...
Hey

Thanks for all the answers / comments

It must be the most difficult thing you can do in a helicopter (I hope)
Thanks to all.
Anker
Denmark

Old August 30th 03, 05:21 AM
Stu Fields

I think that it would be much harder if you get all the controls at one
time. Just the cyclic took me 2hrs. to get the thing to behave. The pedals
didn't add much to the problem or even the collective/ throttle. Just the
dang cyclic. I've since built a little cyclic simulator involving a disc
and a steel ball which helps people understand that they have to anticipate
the movement of the ship and make small corrections. A flight school bought
one of the little simulators for use in their school.
I once gave a neighbor a ride and he tried to hover and of course the thing
took off for an out-of-state zip code and I grabbed it and put it back and
he got on with me and he said: " You are making corrections and I can't
tell why you are doing it" I told him that my butt was telling my hand what
needed to be done. The only way that I know to train the butt is to get
actual seat time in a hovering helicopter.
Stu Fields

"ABE" hvad@saa wrote in message
k...
Hey

Can any one in here tale me, or rather explain to me how to hover ??
I have tried it in a R22, but it tilt / turned, every time.
First I hold only the height, then height and pedals and that was OK, but
when
I should hold the stick, the helicopter flip. I have asked around, and the
nearest I have come
To an explanation was that it is a "feeling" you get after 15 - 20 hours??
I am a holder of a PPL fixwing, I hope to fly heli. Some day
How do you do it ????? : )

Anker B.
Denmark.

Old August 31st 03, 10:29 AM
Eric Manners

One tip i have found useful is to think of every input on the stick as a
double movement eg when the wind blows you backwards in the hover you need
to move the stick forwards - however if you leave it at that you will move
back to where you were and then go sailing through your original position.
Therefore, in this example, put the forward stick movement in and then take
it out again to prevent the oscillation developing. After much practice you
will only need very small cyclic stick inputs, but each one will be a double
input. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old August 31st 03, 02:23 PM

Another thing to remember is that the cyclic is an accelleration
control and not a speed or position control. Move it a little to one
side and hold it and you will accellerate in that direction.

My lawnmower has a similar control, but its a speed control and not an
acceleration control. Its a little strange switching between the two.

Dennis.

"Eric Manners" wrote:

One tip i have found useful is to think of every input on the stick as a
double movement eg when the wind blows you backwards in the hover you need
to move the stick forwards - however if you leave it at that you will move

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A Recession is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A Depression is when YOU are out of work.
A Recovery is when all the H1-B's are out of work."
(An H-1B is someone who is brought into the USA to replace
American workers at a fraction of the wage.)
Old September 4th 03, 03:41 AM
Frederick Wilson

I guess I can put my two cents in too. Don't death grip the cyclic. Just
when you tense up think to your self to relax. Use your finger tips not a
full fist. Keep your arm resting on your leg. You shouldn't need any more
movement than what your wrist will give you.

Fred