Colibri Data Logger reviewed

Old April 12th 04, 10:43 PM
Tim Mara

Black box was planned, but the cost was too close to the original Colibri,
(the same but with Nav display) that as far as I know, LX Navigation never
offered this unit....
tim

"mike" wrote in message
om...
Nice review Tom. Does anyone know about the Colibri Black Box (BB)

recorder.
I assume it's a more affordable version. Thanks; __Mike Ziaskas

"TOM RENT" wrote in message

I recently studied, selected, and installed the LX Colibri IGC Data

Logger
in my Glider, and have posted some information on this at:

http://www.goldengate.net/~tmrent/so...35/Colibri.htm

I will update this site as necessary.

Good lift,

Tom Rent
Minnesota Soaring Club
I also host the Schweizer 1-35 site at:
http://www.goldengate.net/~tmrent/so.../sgs135new.htm

[replies to me must remove the "XXs" in my email address or they will
bounce]

Old April 13th 04, 05:41 AM
Paul Remde

Hi Bob,

The quote below is after he already fixed the text.

Paul Remde

"Bob Lepp" wrote in message
m...
Nice Colibri write-up with excellent photos.

I must point out an error though. In the review text you mention that

the
Cambridge 302A has built-in antenna. That is not correct. It has an
external antenna that can be mounted remotely, just like the Colibri.

Happy Easter,

Paul Remde

Paul, I believe he said the Volkslogger had a built in antenna.

Quoting.....
The 302A was recently approved but is large, not very portable, and is
a basic logger with no built-in user interface. The Volkslogger is
popular and reliable but not so easy to use due to the poor human
factors of the user interface. Also, the Volkslogger has a built-in
GPS antenna, limiting the options of where you must mount it.

Bob

Old April 14th 04, 09:47 AM
Bruce Greeff

Kevin Christner wrote:
Andrew Warbrick wrote in message ...

Good review, clear and to the point.

You forgot to mention one feature of the Colibri which
might influence people's decision. The internal memory
back up battery needs to be replaced every few years
and to retain IGC approval this has to be done by the
dealer, not the owner. Having said this, I still bought
a Colibri as the best option. The user interface on
the Volkslogger really is vile in comparison.

It is true that the Colibri does have internal back-up battery, as do MOST
other flight computers, loggers and even avionics, the truth is that since
the Colibri was introduced now nearly 8 years ago, we have yet to replace
any of these batteries from routine use.....as long as the Colibri is used
frequently and not left dormant for very extended periods.

Kevin Christner for Tim Mara

Having done this with my LX20 it is pretty simple on this model. The battery is
on a seperate screw secured pocket - as long as you ensure power continuity when
you replace the battery you are away.

If you are unwise enough to remove the power completely (no external power and
no 9V leads to the battery connector) you will have to return the unit to the LX
folks in Slovenia. The reason for the batteries is to ensure integrity of the
data stored in NVRAM, so the security info will be lost when it loses all power.

Might be worth sending to LX for the older LX20 units anyway - so they can be
upgraded to the new security spec. Can't speak for the other loggers.

One other point - the battery on mine was getting weak but still functional
after 8 years. 1996 model LX20 must be one of the older ones out there and still
going strong. With the latest firmware I even get final glide information and a
rudimentary moving map.

The support from LX is outstanding and consistent.
Old April 14th 04, 10:16 AM
Andrew Warbrick

At 08:54 14 April 2004, Bruce Greeff wrote:
Kevin Christner wrote:
Andrew Warbrick wrote in message news:...

[...]

In the Colibri the back up battery is internal. To
get IGC approval loggers have to erase security information
once the case is opened. Having said which, I still
consider the Colibri the best option, even if I have
to send it away to the dealer every few years (the
manual just says 'several years', it's nice to hear
that this may be as much as eight years) to get the
battery replaced.

From the documentation it appears the Volkslogger does
not require a battery replacement, but the Volkslogger
woud not have fit my panel and the user interface is
truly abysmal.

Might be worth sending to LX for the older LX20 units
anyway - so they can be
upgraded to the new security spec. Can't speak for
the other loggers.

Good idea.

One other point - the battery on mine was getting weak
but still functional
after 8 years. 1996 model LX20 must be one of the older
ones out there and still
going strong. With the latest firmware I even get final
glide information and a
rudimentary moving map.

The support from LX is outstanding and consistent.

Agreed, the Colibri still seems to be the best solution
on the market today.

Old April 14th 04, 03:38 PM
Tony Verhulst

.... The reason for the batteries is to
ensure integrity of the data stored in NVRAM, so the security info will
be lost when it loses all power.

This is off track but the whole point of NVRAM (*Non* *Volatile* Random
Access Memory) is that data will NOT be lost when you remove power.

Tony V.

Old April 14th 04, 06:13 PM
Tim Mara

later model LX20's have a small hatch on them to easily replave the memory
battery......without having to send the unit in to have the seals re-set
tim

Old April 16th 04, 09:44 PM
Bruce Greeff

Tony Verhulst wrote:

.... The reason for the batteries is to ensure integrity of the data
stored in NVRAM, so the security info will be lost when it loses all
power.

This is off track but the whole point of NVRAM (*Non* *Volatile* Random
Access Memory) is that data will NOT be lost when you remove power.

Tony V.

Hi Tony, I can't explain why, but take my word for it, you will have to send the
unit to the factory if it loses backup power for a moment. I'm not sure whether
the security code is in volatile memory or not, but even a momentary power loss
means the unit reports "invalid secret key" and refuses to work. No negotiation,
even though the contents of the NVRAM remain.

Conversely you can run it till the battery is discharged to the point it will
not boot, and there is no problem.

So - if you do decide to open the little flap and replace the battery, be sure
to maintain power somehow.
Old April 16th 04, 10:47 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Bruce Greeff
writes
Tony Verhulst wrote:

[...]

The Secret Key is held in battery maintained Volatile RAM so that any
opening of the case will trash the key and make the recorder insecure
regardless of external power being available or not. As I recall, this
applies to all FRs except early EWs.

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."