Enjoyed the afternoon at Seminole Lake watching the Seniors practice

Old March 12th 16, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Enjoyed the afternoon at Seminole Lake watching the Seniors practice

I headed to Seminole Lake Gliderport this afternoon to catch the Seniors landing from their practice day, about an hour from home. I was amazed at how quickly folks were able to land and clear the runway for the next inbound plane. At times I would look up and see six or more folks preparing to land in orderly fashion. Although I'm not a glider pilot, the facility staff and participants were both very friendly and welcoming. I hope to make it out another day this week to catch more action.
Old March 12th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In the "old" days before GPS, contest staff logged landings to confirm that a pilot didn't go through the finish gate then climb up and photograph the last turnpoint.

I recall seeing more than 40 gliders landing in one minute. Overall we do a very good job of mass landings with very little need to coordinate on the radio.

5Z