I did it! (long story about my glider checkride)

Old April 18th 04, 04:31 AM
Chris

Default I did it! (long story about my glider checkride)

Yes! yesterday I had my checkride to get an add-on glider rating to my
PP-ASEL (at Moriarty, NM, 0E0, 6200ft MSL). Actually it was already
planned a week ago. But 900ft overcast and 5" snow in the mountains
(yes, here in New
Mexico) was not the ideal soaring weather. At least I got to know the DE
as well as the regional FAA savety officer who accompained him to check
out checking me out. But as I said, the weather didn't really permit it.
Nevertheless the DE asked some questions about potential dangers during
landing and how to react at different landing scenarios, hoping that the
weather will get better which it didn't. Both the DE and the FAA
official then started smalltalk on old war stories and hangar talk.
Especially the DE is a real figure. He is qute a senior person, served
in WW II and, as the story goes - which I didn't verify with him,
received his firt pilot licence by Orville Wright.
Anyway we departed to schedule the real thing for yesterday. I arrived
at the airport at 9am, with a ton of books, actual sectional, new
AIM/FAR, pilot certificate, medical, WX from DUATS, last sounding data
from the day before. This time the weahter was NEw Mexico style, clear
sky, only some cirrus, and wind! So we started the oral part with
weather, which prevented the earlier checkride but which gracefully
provided good condition yesterday. He lectued more than asked me but
apparently I gave satifactory answuers. He extensively worked on the
sounding map but also wanted to know about all types of cloud formations
and what they indicate. In theis extensive fassion we covered all other
required topics, weight and balance (a pain when using the POH from the
Grob), assembly and potential hazards after wrong assembly, aerodynamics
and control, all the maneuvers, airport markings, emergency procedure,
such as tow break and equipment, ... Our after our passed by (not
noticable because we where in intense discussion). At about 1:30 or so
he was satified with the oral part and we finally got to the plane.
I extensively checked the Grob, explained everything loud what I checked
(from the checklist) and why. He lectured more how important all the
checking is. We finally untied the plane, moved it to the takeoff spot.
He climed in, more checking, towplane hookup, towrope, towring, takeoffr
checklist, takeoff! And it was already windy at that point. We took off
runway 26 and the wind came from the SW at about 10kn. Gusts were
reported put to 17kn, luckily not at our takeoff.
First tow was planned to about 3000ft. But before we got there he let me
do slack-line recover and boxing the wake at 1500ft AGL. The climb
itself was already rather "interesting", coping with the wind as well as
the thermals that were everywhere. At 3000ft AGL (9200ft MSL) he
released and we did some basic maneuvers. As he explained on the ground
he wanted to build confidence in me. So we did some moderate turns and
slow flight. He then talked me into the thermals and we climbed to 12000
ft. Some of the thermals he let me find by myself. We then did some
steep turns, S-turns and all possible slips. At 1200ft over the entry
point we entered the traffic pattern, flew the pattern. I turned final
too early, thus wasn't aligned with the runway right away which made him
nervous. Landing was a little on the hard side but he accepted it.
Second tow was 2500ft AGL with a climb to about 11000ft MSL. There he
let me start a "cross-country" to 5 miles out. I had to judge if I could
return to the airport and to use as many thermals I could find to extend
my glide. This time I was rather unsuccessful inf finding any thermals.
So we just glided back, he talked me again in some nice thermal, we did
some more maneuvers. The second landing was better but still I aligned
the Grob with the runway too late for his taste. Roundout was ok and
landing acceptable. Now the wind turned and it came from due south at
10kn, meaning 10kn cross wind. So I even could practice my cross-wind
takeoff and landing. This time we just did a pattern tow and a real nice
crosswind landing. Only problem was that this time I used too much
breaks, was too slow and could no longer stear the plane off the runway.
At least I stopped close to the taxiway where I should have turned.
Nevertheless he was satisfied over my overall performance - sure
critiziced my not so perfect landing but considered me a safe pilot.
So I am a glider pilot!

Chris
New Mexico
PP-ASEL
Now Glider Pilot

Old April 18th 04, 05:40 PM
Vorsanger1

Congratulations, Chris, for your transition. You are now a purist.

Cheers, Charles