Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

Old October 24th 05, 09:02 PM
Hilton

Default Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

Hi,

Right now (1pm West Coast time) on cnn.com, there is a picture of numerous
overturned planes. Presumably insurance pays for this and since I pay for
insurance, should I feel a bit bummed that these owners didn't fly their
planes to safety and help lower my insurance costs? Taking it to the other
extreme, perhaps some owners wanted to upgrade from a 172 to a 182 (for
example) and... Sorry, I just don't get it.

Thanks,

Hilton

Old October 24th 05, 09:20 PM
Skylune

Well, its even worse than you think. The owners/pilots simply abandoned
their old pipers and cessnas to the hurricane's winds in order to collect
the insurance proceeds. They wanted to get what they could before the
ADIZ is approved and expanded, before the user fees kick in, and due to
the historically high price of Avgas.

Its like when a slumlord torches his apartment building to (1) get rid of
the nuisance and (2) collect a few bucks in the process.

Old October 24th 05, 09:33 PM
Peter R.

Hilton wrote:

Right now (1pm West Coast time) on cnn.com, there is a picture of numerous
overturned planes. Presumably insurance pays for this and since I pay for
insurance, should I feel a bit bummed that these owners didn't fly their
planes to safety and help lower my insurance costs? Taking it to the other
extreme, perhaps some owners wanted to upgrade from a 172 to a 182 (for
example) and... Sorry, I just don't get it.

Using this same mindset, one could also criticise the pilot who attempts to
save the aircraft during an engine failure or fuel starvation emergency,
rather than the people inside.

There are more important priorities in life than possessions.

--
Peter

Old October 24th 05, 09:48 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

Right now (1pm West Coast time) on cnn.com, there is a picture of numerous
overturned planes. Presumably insurance pays for this and since I pay for
insurance, should I feel a bit bummed that these owners didn't fly their
planes to safety and help lower my insurance costs? Taking it to the
other extreme, perhaps some owners wanted to upgrade from a 172 to a 182
(for example) and... Sorry, I just don't get it.

Thanks,

Hilton

Remember, those folks had to prioritize thinks in there life. Maybe the
plane didn't make the cut.

Old October 24th 05, 10:35 PM
W P Dixon

Correct!,
Let's see I have 4 or 5 days notice. I have to spend most of one day
standing in line getting enough plywood to cover the house to try to protect
that major investment..that by the way the entire family benefits from. Now
I have the plywood, I spend another 2 days or even more getting it all up
around the house ( oh yes did I mention my job still requires that I be at
work ?) Then you have all the get the family things together time. Now you
are in fact running out of time to "get gone". Do you drive a car and your
wife take hers as well...if you can save them you both have your way to work
when you get back. Do you put the entire family on a plane ( which may or
may not even be able to carry your whole family).
OH NO, someone shouts almost to late! We almost forgot about Spot the
mangy mutt! Well that settles it, no room for the dog in the plane, we need
our cars. We have a Uhaul rented with some of our stuff in it just in case.
So now even the beloved family boat has to stay put as well. I sure wish I
could have got the plane out of here but MAN, just did not have time trying
to get my home and family together.
I would guess that scenario happens alot during those times. I love
airplanes..but my family comes number 1. I think that's how most folks would
feel about it.

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 24th 05, 10:44 PM
gatt

"Hilton" wrote in message news:O5b7f.1103
Right now (1pm West Coast time) on cnn.com, there is a picture of
numerous overturned planes. Presumably insurance pays for this and
since I pay for insurance, should I feel a bit bummed that these owners
didn't fly their planes to safety and help lower my insurance costs?

That assumes the aircraft were airworthy, the weather was flyable as
equipped, the pilots were current, that they didn't have higher some
more-substantial priority, and that they didn't in fact try to move them
someplace safe.

After Hurricane Andrew, for example, I volunteered for a day at an FBO at
Baton Rouge to which planes from New Orleans had been evacuated. The storm
missed NOLA and hit Baton Rouge and the flight line looked like airplane
wrecking yard.

-c

Old October 24th 05, 11:00 PM
John

A plane is just like any other investment. Although if I owned one, I
think it would be my most beloved material possession and would work
hard to protect it.

But, you often have to decide . . . getting the family to higher ground
or protecting the property. Then you get to decide which piece of
property . . . the house that everyone lives in . . . or the plane . .
.. or the boat . . . or . . . (whatever). Sometimes the
family/property question is in the form of an "either or" question,
not both.

If you fly out, how do you get back to take care of the family?
Airlines will typically cancel service 24 or more hours before the
storm's arrival. The dead time of driving back from any appreciable
distance is critical time wasted.

Finally, you never can be sure if by moving you are not going from bad
to worse. I have friends in South Florida who didn't leave when
Andrew approached. They could go North or South (though not too far).
When I asked (in quite colorful language) why they didn't bug out,
they replied there was uncertainty where exactly the storm would
strike, forecast information was confusing, and they didn't know
until it was too late which way to run. Even with days of warning, a
lot of what you have to do is very last minute.

Finally it has always been about all of us paying for choices that
other pilots make. I would much rather help pay for this type of
settlement, then for the pilot who ran out of gas on a clear day
because he or she decided to stretch things too far.

Old October 24th 05, 11:09 PM
RomeoMike

Look on the bright side: maybe the loss of all those planes will make
yours more valuable and offset the incresed insurance premium:-( Maybe
the premiums will only increase for people in hurricane alley, though I
don't know.

Old October 25th 05, 12:35 AM
Michelle P

Hilton,
My insurance company will pay for the relocation expenses. Flight cost
and hotel for duration.
Hey we are all paying for the re-building of New Orleans. That bums me
out. I should not have to pay for some one else's mistake.
Michelle

Old October 25th 05, 12:35 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Morgans wrote:
Let's see I have 4 or 5 days notice. I have to spend most of one day
standing in line getting enough plywood to cover the house to try to protect
that major investment..that by the way the entire family benefits from.

I don't buy it. You would only have to move the plane 60 miles or so.
There is time in there to move "that" major investment, also.

I flew the night Hurricane Hugo showed up *towards* the storm (for my job) and
tied the aircraft to the best of my ability out on the flightline. Gust locks,
etc... everything I could do to make it secure. When I was finally able to get
back to the airport three days later my airplane was fine. It was the ones in
the hangars that took the hit.... fallen trees caused the roof to collapse,
squashing the planes within.

Sometimes it's just a matter of luck. And frankly, nobody expected Hugo to
amount to much more than a windy night since we were a good 150 NM from the
coast.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE