Landing speeds for naval aircraft?

Old December 3rd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ian MacLure

Default Landing speeds for naval aircraft?

"John Carrier" wrote in
:

[snip]

The F-8 really made you feel like god in the cockpit. But for the
sweetness of the flying experience, an A-4F was my favorite ride. And
it could confound many a "better" airplane in a fight.

Maybe its just A4 driver attitude but I've met a number of A4
folk who claimed they'd take on anything you cared to throw at
them in that airplane.

IBM
Old December 3rd 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Red Rider

wrote in message
ups.com...

John Weiss wrote:
"John Carrier" wrote...

Small was Oriskany, Hancock, and Lex and their sisters. Night traps on
two of them.

Indeed! The A-6 took up a LOT of space on Lady Lex!

Gotta ask if anybody that reads this NG CQ'ed onboard Lex..I did, in
1973...still had a mirror...

Or anybody serve onboard Lex, when she was still a CVA??

Hummmm. young whippersnappers. T2J-1 with VT-5 on the USS Antietam, CVS-36.
The only time I was ever on the Lex was for quals in an F8U-2 (1961) off San
Clemente Island.

Old December 3rd 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

"Red Rider" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

John Weiss wrote:
"John Carrier" wrote...

Small was Oriskany, Hancock, and Lex and their sisters. Night traps
on
two of them.

Indeed! The A-6 took up a LOT of space on Lady Lex!

Gotta ask if anybody that reads this NG CQ'ed onboard Lex..I did, in
1973...still had a mirror...

Or anybody serve onboard Lex, when she was still a CVA??

Hummmm. young whippersnappers. T2J-1 with VT-5 on the USS Antietam,
CVS-36.
The only time I was ever on the Lex was for quals in an F8U-2 (1961) off
San Clemente Island.

F8U-2 (AKA F-8C)? To borrow from Moon Vance, what we have here is a
memorial service that never happened.

R / John

Old December 3rd 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Red Rider

"John Carrier" wrote in message
. ..

"Red Rider" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

John Weiss wrote:
"John Carrier" wrote...

Small was Oriskany, Hancock, and Lex and their sisters. Night traps
on
two of them.

Indeed! The A-6 took up a LOT of space on Lady Lex!

Gotta ask if anybody that reads this NG CQ'ed onboard Lex..I did, in
1973...still had a mirror...

Or anybody serve onboard Lex, when she was still a CVA??

Hummmm. young whippersnappers. T2J-1 with VT-5 on the USS Antietam,
CVS-36.
The only time I was ever on the Lex was for quals in an F8U-2 (1961) off
San Clemente Island.

F8U-2 (AKA F-8C)? To borrow from Moon Vance, what we have here is a
memorial service that never happened.

R / John

Yes, the accident rate was a little high at times, about three times as high
as that of the Phantom when it came along.

It didn't become the F-8C until Sept '62, just in time to confuse everybody
for the Cuban training exercise.

Old December 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

SNIP

Hummmm. young whippersnappers. T2J-1 with VT-5 on the USS Antietam,
CVS-36.
The only time I was ever on the Lex was for quals in an F8U-2 (1961) off
San Clemente Island.

F8U-2 (AKA F-8C)? To borrow from Moon Vance, what we have here is a
memorial service that never happened.

R / John

Yes, the accident rate was a little high at times, about three times as
high as that of the Phantom when it came along.

High enough that airpac started putting out two mishap rates to look
somewhat competitive with airlant: Mishap rate and Mishap rate less F-8s.
The longest mishap free period in the aircraft's history for a squadron was
21 months IIRC.

It didn't become the F-8C until Sept '62, just in time to confuse
everybody for the Cuban training exercise.

And the K with a rewing and hard points. Got a few hours in that one.

R / John

Old December 3rd 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Red Rider

[...]

You know I always felt safe and in control in the F8, but I was young,
foolish, full of **** and vinegar, and thought I was bullet proof, bad
things only happened to other people. What the hell did I know? But I did
manage to log a landing for every takeoff, although it got close a few
times, I never lost confidence in the aircraft.

Old December 4th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
WaltBJ

Only buzzed carriers, being an AF pilot, but our basic fence speed in
the F4D (Phantom, that is)was 122 KIAS plus 2 knots per 1000# over
empty/clean. But we could shave that speed 4 knots or so with a
slippery runway (Da Nang in the monsoon!) . FWIW with zero crosswind
you could plant a F104A, full flaps, at 135. If the F102 had had 8 foot
long gear legs we could have landed it at about 115; but with the
factory gear you'd drag a foot or so off the tailpipe. BTW hows come
only a couple responders mentioned airspeed, and one of them sounded
pretty high? Lots of reserve fuel in case of repeated bolters? Surely
y'all had a basic airspeed to add to in case of extra fuel, external
loads, etc. Or did you fly AOA and ignore IAS?
Walt BJ

Old December 4th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

Peter,

John is right - the flying turkeyleg does consume a bunch of real estate on a 27-Charlie.

I never actually hit the LEX myself, but in 1971 I was overhead LEX in the back seat of a T-2C with a VT-7 det, watching the VMA(AW)-224 CQ goon show prior to their 1972 CORAL MARU cruise. The last time any of 224's senior leadership had seen the back end of the boat was in the training command. Nearly all of the Bengals' JOs wore Wings Of Lead, having gone through USAF flight training as an expediency to get them into the cockpits quickly for the VN war, and none had ever CQed.

After VA-95 stood up in 1972, the Lizards took over the Bengals' slot in the CVW-15 lineup. We wound up spending most of the pre-cruise rehab period aboard the CORAL MARU scraping off all the Semper Fi stuff and red/yellow paint out of our squadron spaces.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"TSA (Transportation Security Administration): Thousands Standing Around."

- Thomas P. M. Barnett