Human factors RECKLESSNESS

Old April 30th 05, 08:34 PM
james

strapping yourself to an enormous fuel tank and two rockets is pretty
damn reckless if you ask me, but i respect any astronaut living or who
died exploring new frontiers.

hey so is sailing across the ocean when everyone else expects you to
fall off.

Old April 30th 05, 09:24 PM
Ed H

"private" wrote in message

CFIT A multiple champion pilot losses control while reaching for a $100
side
bet.

What accident does this refer to? Who was killed?

Old April 30th 05, 09:58 PM
Stewart Kissel

It was a HG pilot, whose father also died in a HG crash...see
Davis Straub ezine for details.

Old April 30th 05, 10:04 PM
Stewart Kissel

So flying a glider around for pleasure...is to be equated
to exploring space, or Christopher Columbus?

Gimme a break...we play with toys at our whim. Allow
me to post a story that illustrates my position...not
that I expect all to agree. How we kill ourselves
is our own business afterall.

A friend of mine had just completed an outstanding
soaring flight, perhaps a state or national record
if he cared to submit it, which he did not. Being
very pumped after this flight, he pulled into the local
watering hole in Salida and promptly explained his
deed to his buddies. After a pregnant pause...and
silence...someone finally replied, 'Gee, that sounds
interesting. But Fred over there hit a triple in the
softball game!'

We fly for our own self worth...99% of the world thinks
the triple in the softball game is more significant.
So is this worth risking ours lives over?

Old April 30th 05, 11:52 PM
Jack

Stewart Kissel wrote:
\
We fly for our own self worth...99% of the world thinks
the triple in the softball game is more significant.
So is this worth risking ours lives over?

Are you risking your life, Stewart?

How big a risk do you normally feel comfortable with?

How do you assess the risk in your activities?

Jack
Old May 2nd 05, 11:26 PM

"So flying a glider around for pleasure...is to be equated
to exploring space, or Christopher Columbus? "

Depends on what you do with your glider. I'm tempted to answer, YES.
Chris Columbus just did the same thing the Chinese, the Vikings, and
the Egyptians (if you enjoy such suppositions) did before him. Going
somewhere new isn't so much an exploration of a place as it is an
exploration of yourself in that place. And as Homer spent lots of time
saying, "it's the journey that's important." So, YES, absolutely,
flying a glider is the same as exploring space. All the better if you
take some pleasure in it.

OC

Old May 1st 05, 01:39 AM
Stewart Kissel

At 23:30 30 April 2005, Jack wrote:
Stewart Kissel wrote:
\
We fly for our own self worth...99% of the world thinks
the triple in the softball game is more significant.
So is this worth risking ours lives over?

Are you risking your life, Stewart?

Not if I can help it..

How big a risk do you normally feel comfortable with?

When backcountry skiing, avalanche training and equipment,
when cycling...a helmet. When sharing the road with
giant SUV's driven by cellphone talkers...I confess,
I am at their mercy. When flying over 'unlandable'
terrain, the proper precautions and gear.

How do you assess the risk in your activities?

Life would be boring without adventure...stupid risk
taking thins out the gene pool...I try my best not
to take stupid risks.

Jack

Old May 3rd 05, 05:05 PM
Nyal Williams

What has bothered me most in this thread is the statement,
'Live every day as if it were your last.'

If I knew it were my last, I might take chances that
I would take at no other time because in that situation
there would be no long-term consequences. Living this
way day-to-day puts outcomes on the flip of a coin.
It puts all risk taking at a 50% chance of success.
No one can come up with heads 10 times in a row.
To live life this way means a roman candle kind of
life -- a few big thrills but certainly not many of
them.

Any wisdom contained in the quoted statement is probably
related to using your last day to attending to your
affairs and setting things straight. I wouldn't foreclose
on all those future thrills for this one big one that
also might come up tails.

That's fatalism at its worst.

Old May 5th 05, 01:43 PM
Dave Martin

Surely when you arrive at the raddled old fart stage
sat in bed with all sorts of diseases is the time to
call it a day, not when there is plenty of life left
in the bones.

After all some one once said, 'Who wants to be an 85
year old.' Reply, 'An 84 year old'.

As for the religious bit and life after death, I believe
when the lights go out that is it, so enjoy the time
for as long as possible.

On the other hand there may be a grain of truth in
the life after death theory.

Whatever happens one of us will be wrong and wil get
either a nasty or pleasant surprise!

Dave

At 11:00 05 May 2005, Justin Fielding wrote:
Yip, live fast die young. Better than sitting in bed
at 70 with all
types of disease and cancer eating away at your internal
organs. You
can't hide from death, it will come to vist one day
and unless you are
religious and believe in the afterlife etc, it doesn't
really matter if
it is sooner or later, you will still end up dead!

J.

NW_PILOT wrote:
'private' wrote in message

My apologies to the Usenet police cross posting
but

I am in mourning for friends lost, and in sympathy
for the families they
left alone.

This week we have seen behavior that can only be described
as reckless.

A man posts video of a poorly performed roll in a non
aerobatic aircraft
without regard for ...............to say nothing about
his instructor
PARTICIPATING. Two survivors and a questionable aircraft

CFIT A multiple champion pilot losses control while
reaching for a $100

side

bet.

One fatal.

911?, fuel exhaustion, over water, without flotation,
at night. One
(probable) fatal.

I am tempted to ask why? where are we failing? are
we glorifying
recklessness? Are we truly self destructive (cigarettes,
food, alcohol,
pollution etc)? what can we do? but

I know that we must each find the answers within ourselves
and to strive

for

the personal situational control to handle these situations
and

temptations.

Training helps, as do mentors. (Thank you Dudley, Gene
etal)

I am sick of hearing 'he died doing something he loved'.
It just sounds
trite.

They are always way too young.

My condolences and sympathy to all mourning family
and friends.

Ok what about the people you don't here about all
the fools driving cars
talking on cell phone, driving while under the influence
of a mind altering
substance like Prozac and the many other pansy pills.
'Ohh dont for get
about the other drugs people use'

'You know Moving any faster than a walking pace can
be potentially fatal!'

I would not say that we are glorifying recklessness,
if it wasn't for people
you call reckless we would still be living in caves.
Most of us that are in
to flying or other extreme hobbies have a huge respect
for life but also
have that need for that adrenalin. I my-self wake
up every day and am very
thankful that I don't have to stick a needle in my
arm or suck something up
my nose to get that rush, I have many many other activity's
like flying to
get that feeling.

You will Die one day that's a fact of Life!! You cannot
hide from it! You
cannot run from it! So embrace the Life you have been
given and enjoy it
with every breath you take because you may never know
when it may be your
last.

Old May 5th 05, 02:38 PM
Dave Martin

Another thought on this well aired subject.

As a raddled old bed ridden fart, the relatives may
just be glad to see the back of you and cash in the
inheritence.

The younger you die someone may just miss you!

So live as long as you can and make 'em wait!