iGlide functionality

Old March 11th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default iGlide functionality

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 7:35:12 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Foster wrote on 3/10/2020 9:20 PM:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, there is only one list of turn points in MT, and none of them are near me. They all seem to be east of the Rocky Mountains. Nothing seems to be west of Helena. There are no other glider pilots within 4hrs of me, who fly cross country, and only one other who flies a Dimona motor glider locally. Would that mean I have to make my own turn points?

I've lost track of your exact situation, but ...

Assuming you are the John Foster in Ronan, Mt, you are indeed in a "glider pilot
desert". If you are using iGlide, it provides the all the airports listed in the
FAA database and that are on the sectionals. That's the basic "turnpoint" (aka
database) file you need - no need to get it anywhere else.

Your personal database will have landout fields and turnpoints you want to use for
task, such as badge attempts. You will have to do this yourself, but it's not
difficult. I do it using SeeYou, but there are other means. It will have only a
few entries at first, but you can easily update it as needed, then load it into
iGlide. After a season or two, you will be the "go to" guy for the Ronan area
database.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, iGlide Lite is very limited. If you like
it, I recommend you upgrade to at least the next level.

Yes, that would be me. Is there a way to manually enter turn points by just clicking on the map? I haven't seen this, but I only have the Lite version. I do plan on upgrading the version soon.
Old March 11th 20, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Foster wrote on 3/11/2020 9:50 AM:
[...]

Tap on the map. One of the choices offered is "Create Fix Waypoint" - select that
to give it a name and save it. It's useful for marking fields, uncharted
airstrips, etc, while flying but does not have all the info you'd have with a CUP
file entry. At home, you can add it to your personal CUP file if desired, then
remove it from "User Waypoint" list in iGlide.

Old March 11th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 11:39:29 AM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
Yeah, what Dan said. You can also use a spreadsheet program like Excel, if you want to see everything laid out in columns. CUP is just basically a comma-separated value file.

L.

I'm not a spreadsheet expert, but I guess I would edit that to say "CUP is sort of like a comma separated value file... but with diabolical use of quotation marks".

Importing a cup file into a spreadsheet is easy.

How does one save a file from a spreadsheet into a cup file and get the quote marks correct?

T8
Old March 11th 20, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

How does one save a file from a spreadsheet into a cup file and get the quote marks correct?

That is a good observation. Actually, you don't need the quotation marks unless the data has embedded commas. On my website, I just avoid that practice like the plague. No commas in long names, and no commas in comments.

One thing that is a little bit of a pain is that to save the file, you have to "Save as...", and select the CSV file type. That adds a .csv extension on the file, which you have to remove before using it.

L.
Old March 11th 20, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 3:36:49 PM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
Actually, you don't need the quotation marks unless the data has embedded commas.

That's handy to know!

Thanks,
T8
Old March 11th 20, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 2:00:30 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 11:39:29 AM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
Yeah, what Dan said. You can also use a spreadsheet program like Excel, if you want to see everything laid out in columns. CUP is just basically a comma-separated value file.

L.

I'm not a spreadsheet expert, but I guess I would edit that to say "CUP is sort of like a comma separated value file... but with diabolical use of quotation marks".

Importing a cup file into a spreadsheet is easy.

How does one save a file from a spreadsheet into a cup file and get the quote marks correct?

T8

Although some software (SeeYou?) outputs .cup files with the quotes, they are not necessary, at least in my experience (reading them into SeeYou (!) and into Tophat (XCsoar derivative).

Quotes around each item are common in the world of "comma delimited" data files, they are often called "commas and quotes", that is to avoid a comma inside a cell from splitting the entry into two cells (moving everything after that into the wrong columns).

I avoid putting commas within entries in .cup files (other than the field separators), including the "comment" field. Thus no problems.
Old March 12th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 9:49:19 AM UTC-7, BG wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 9:20:17 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 5:13:36 PM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 11:58:51 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 10:15:02 PM UTC-6, John Foster wrote:
On Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 10:20:27 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 7:56:47 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
To load user data with the new versions (v2.7.1) they want you to use iTunes.

On Linux Ubuntu 18.04 LTS you can use ilibimobile, but (1) you must use the very latest version from GitHub and (2) you must load the user data into the iGlide folder, not the asp or the wpt folders. Upon starting iGlide afterwards, you'll get asked whether you want to import the new data, answer yes.

There is a slightly different technique needed on Macs, hopefully Jon Fitch will document this.

-John, Q3

On Friday, March 6, 2020 at 10:51:39 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 9:33:38 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 3:22:09 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
In an effort not to hijack a recent thread any more than I've already done, I decided to start this thread here to deal with any/all my questions regarding this software.

I'm running the "Lite" version of this currently on an iPhone XS Max. So far it is pretty basic in that it will log my flights with a moving map display. I've attempted to customize the boxes at the top and bottom of the screen, but on some flights recently, there are some features that just don't seem to work. I'm not sure if this is because its the Lite version, or if its because of something else. I did notice in a recent link to the online manual that it mentioned somewhere that "some features won't work unless connected to an outside GPS source". I'm curious why that wouldn't work using the phone's built-in GPS. I wasn't able to get it to display glide ratio and am wondering if this is the problem.

I'll likely have more questions about different features, and will try to post them here in this thread unless appropriate for elsewhere. Thanks.

I'd think the glider L/D calculation would work even on the Lite. As far as an external GPS goes: I had in the past some difficulty with the WiFi link to the Air Vario dropping. In this case you will get a stale position for about 60 seconds or so, then it will default over to the iPhone GPS and barometrics. Several times this happened and I did not notice for a long period of time, the main tipoff being no instantaneous wind vectors and no Flarm targets. Other than that it worked remarkably well on internal sensors. I finally put up the navbox which indicates the source of the GPS data so I would know if it had disconnected.

I had that problem a few years ago for a couple of months, then it seemed to go away, never did discover the cause.

Separate question: how do you upload turn point data to the app on an iPhone?

To load

On Mac, just plug the phone into the Mac. The iPhone will appear in the Finder in Locations. Open it and browse to Files - iGlide app. Drag and drop the file there at the top level (not in th WPT folder). You can also backup all your iGlide files from here by dragging them to your computer. In the future I believe the intent is to make iGlide Files app aware, this will allow many different methods of file transfer - airdrop, email, etc.

Where do I get the turn point files to drop in this folder?

Anyone?

http://soaringweb.org/TP/HomePage.html will have turnpoints for nearly everywhere. I believe iGlide takes .dat or .cup files. Depending on how the file was authored, it may have airports, and those may overlap the iGlide airport database. For this reason it can be worthwhile to filter the airports shown from the airport database in iGlides settings, if you would rather see the airports data from the turnpoint file.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, there is only one list of turn points in MT, and none of them are near me. They all seem to be east of the Rocky Mountains. Nothing seems to be west of Helena. There are no other glider pilots within 4hrs of me, who fly cross country, and only one other who flies a Dimona motor glider locally. Would that mean I have to make my own turn points?

IS there a manual the describes iGlide? Their website does not seem to show one. CUrious how or will it interface with FLARM, how are winds determined, and can you overlay forecast maps??

Buzz

There is a manual, go to Air Avionics - Support - Apps and Air Connect and download. Be prepared that it is quite out of date, but does have the basic concepts. You cannot overlay forecast maps. If you have Air Connect, or an Air vario, you will get Flarm targets depicted on screen, with data, tracks, color coding, warnings, etc. You will also get accurate instantaneous wind as calculated by the Air Vario once a second. Without that connection wind is calculated the same way others do.

One thing the manual does not show is there is significant customization of display appearance controlled by the xml files. These are human readable and editable, but you have to experiment to see what you get.
Old March 22nd 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 12:11:47 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
Thanks Lynn. What do you view or edit the file in? On a Mac?

There's an app called iSoar for MacOS. Works fairly well, but SeeYou running on Windows in Parallels is my preferred program. Way more features, especially 3D playback, etc.

For editing waypoints, iSoar should be quite adequate. There are now several web based apps that will run on all computers to view and manage files. I think even SeeYou has a web based version.

5Z

Old March 22nd 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 6:41:20 PM UTC-7, 5Z wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 12:11:47 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
Thanks Lynn. What do you view or edit the file in? On a Mac?

There's an app called iSoar for MacOS. Works fairly well, but SeeYou running on Windows in Parallels is my preferred program. Way more features, especially 3D playback, etc.

For editing waypoints, iSoar should be quite adequate. There are now several web based apps that will run on all computers to view and manage files. I think even SeeYou has a web based version.

5Z

iSoar is no longer offered or supported. You can still find it on some websites, I don't think it will run properly on Catalina (OSX 13). SeeYou is fully featured, but it would be nice if they would update the UI from its Windows 3.1 level.
Old March 22nd 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 9:25:20 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 6:41:20 PM UTC-7, 5Z wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 12:11:47 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
Thanks Lynn. What do you view or edit the file in? On a Mac?

There's an app called iSoar for MacOS. Works fairly well, but SeeYou running on Windows in Parallels is my preferred program. Way more features, especially 3D playback, etc.

For editing waypoints, iSoar should be quite adequate. There are now several web based apps that will run on all computers to view and manage files. I think even SeeYou has a web based version.

5Z

iSoar is no longer offered or supported. You can still find it on some websites, I don't think it will run properly on Catalina (OSX 13). SeeYou is fully featured, but it would be nice if they would update the UI from its Windows 3.1 level.

iSoar does not work on Catalina.