Firewall

Old February 15th 04, 04:51 AM
Flyhighdave

Default Firewall

I'm building a Barracuda-!/4in. plywood firewall. What is the best material for
the fire barrier? .16 stainless or .16 2024 T-3 with a layer of 1/8in.
fiberfrax sandwiched between the aluminum & the plywood? I'd like to go with
the aluminum because of weight if it & the fiberfrax are an appropriate
combination. Are there any other materials I should be considering?
Thanks!
David
Old February 15th 04, 05:25 AM
John

A gasoline fed fire can reach a temperature of over 2000 degrees.
Aluminum will melt at 1100 degrees. The answer should be obvious.
I would use 0.016 stainless which weighs one tenth of the 0.16.

Old February 15th 04, 06:04 AM
Flyhighdave

My mistake! I meant to say 0.016 not 0.16. That would be a hefty chunk of
metal!
Tony Bengilis in "Firewall Forward" talks about the 2024-T3/Fiberfrax
combination as being a consideration for a firewall. The fiberfrax is what
provides the fire barrier as it withstands tremendous heat.
Anyway I'm looking to do the best thing, not the cheapest or necessarily the
lightest, although light would be nice.
Any more advice?
Thanks!
David
Old February 15th 04, 05:03 PM
Cy Galley

The aluminum over the fiberfrax is not intended to be a fire barrier. The
fiberfrax is the fire barrier and prevents the plywood behind from even
charring. The aluminum is a mechanical protection to prevent solvent and
mechanical damage to the fire protecting fiberfrax. If you have a fire
severe enough to melt the aluminum, then entire engine compartment will have
to be redone anyway.

--
Cy Galley
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Old February 15th 04, 06:24 PM
Del Rawlins

In Richard Riley wrote:

Best of all worlds - .012 titanium and 1/8 fiberfrax. Hard to find,
but it's out there. Any alloy will do. Ti will burn, but it takes
something like 5000 degrees to light it, and you're not going to get
that in an engine fire.

My father in law once set a piece of titanium on fire that he was
machining in a lathe.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old February 15th 04, 07:19 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message
In Richard Riley wrote:

Best of all worlds - .012 titanium and 1/8 fiberfrax. Hard to find,
but it's out there. Any alloy will do. Ti will burn, but it takes
something like 5000 degrees to light it, and you're not going to get
that in an engine fire.

My father in law once set a piece of titanium on fire that he was
machining in a lathe.

An entire B-one A burned to the ground here on the desert.

Old February 15th 04, 09:33 PM
Rich S.

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message

My father in law once set a piece of titanium on fire that he was
machining in a lathe.

Sure it wasn't Magnesium? Titanium would be a real chore to turn in a
reg'lar lathe, for sure.

Rich S.

Old February 15th 04, 09:36 PM
John Ammeter

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:33:30 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message

My father in law once set a piece of titanium on fire that he was
machining in a lathe.

Sure it wasn't Magnesium? Titanium would be a real chore to turn in a
reg'lar lathe, for sure.

Rich S.

Oh, it should be easy to turn.... now, if you want to cut
it??

John